Author Topic: Wanted: 'Ka-pow' Chilean guava seeds from UK  (Read 1376 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Wanted: 'Ka-pow' Chilean guava seeds from UK
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:12:21 PM »
Anyone have the Ka-pow Chilean Guava from Sutton’s Seeds in UK that was supposed to have larger fruit? Or some other good selection of Chilean Guava?
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: 'Ka-pow' Chilean guava seeds from UK
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »
I've been looking for this as well, so if you find it please let us all know.  I contacted one of the UK nurseries but they don't ship internationally.

I did get a plant of a supposedly large-fruited cultivar from Ben Poirier, but it hasn't fruited yet so I'm not sure how different it is.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
I've also tried to get that one, and I am in France, but they don't ship to any country outside the UK. It's a trademarked variety, but I am not sure how much better it is than other forms. There is a new German selection out as well, named 'Elite', that is supposed to fruit very heavily and consistently. I don't know if the berries of that one are bigger. I am trying to get that one as well, but haven't been able to so far.
And there is this nursery in the US that has an interesting form of Ugni: http://www.desertnorthwest.com/catalog/plants_southamerica.html#ugni_mo_jg
But their website hasn't been updated recently and they haven't responded to my inquiries, but that might be because I am from Europe.
But it might be worth a shot to ask if you are in the US.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »
I have a couple of different plants that are very different looking. Some are very woody with small leaves, and these give the best fruit. Others are very leggy, with darker, bigger and longer leaves, but the fruit is a bit smaller and doesn't ripen up as well. I'd be happy to send you both a couple of cuttings of my best plant, but I won't have seeds until October.