Author Topic: Mango trees and shade tolerance  (Read 394 times)

Irakleousm

• Cyprus
    • View Profile
Mango trees and shade tolerance
« on: August 23, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
Greetings, big intro untill my question, trying to give you the full picture here.
  So, I keep a bunch of mango seedlings that grow very very happily in pots, under the thick canopy of a large pomegranate tree, in a spot where both morning and afternoon sun, is blocked by my house walls.
That is, they basically grow under full shade. And they are doing really well. I actually noticed their leaves get huge compared to the typical size they reach when they are put in more exposed spots.

Now, there's a spot in my garden that gets only afternoon sun. A lemon-pomelo multigrafted tree is doing well there, fruiting and all. A longan tree, not so well. I meam, it seema like a very sorry looking tree: fruits are tiny, leaves not so thick than the other longan I keep in a full sun location etc.

I was thinking of chopping down the longan tree, and replace it with one of my mango seedlings, that I could graft to a better variety once it is establishes.

However, I'm not quite sure if the lack of morning sun, will affect its flowering behavior, or if it will set and hold any fruits.
The main reason I'm asking is, besides the existing longam tree situation, I also have a mango tree that sets very few fruits on its side where it is less exposed to the sun.
Maybe that's just a variety thing? I mean, does anyone know of any varietiea that might do well in not "full sun" locations?
Any personal experience in similar cases, out there?

Thanks in advance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk