Author Topic: Pictures from middle Georgia  (Read 12991 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from middle Georgia
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »
I have eaten the last of the New Zealand Lemonade.   During the season I sampled fruit that was mostly yellow mature fruit (still some green rind), completely yellow fruit, and one I found just two days ago that had dropped from the tree and was just slightly turning soft.  I don't actually know how long ago it fell to the ground.  Least sweet = the early mostly yellow (still some green rind), next in sweetness = completely yellow fruit, and the fruit with the highest sweet taste was the fruit I found that had dropped from the tree.  Therefore, it made me think that perhaps storing the NZL much like one does with a Dekopon, might be the way to go if higher sweetness is desired..
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:26:36 AM by Millet »

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks for that report, Millet.  If I get several this year, I may try to store some for a while, to see how they do in storage in regards to taste.

TFN

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »

Dekopon.  Hardly any damage from winter with no cover.

Kishu.  Same as Dekopon, little damage, no cover.

New Zealand Lemonade.  Kept covered on freezing nights, because it bloomed all winter long.  Some blooms actually survived and are now little fruitlets.  It is also putting on many more new bloom buds.

I have been asked before how Dekopon handled our winters as compared to other satsumas and mandarins. I would have to say as good or better than some.  My Mihos on Trifoliate rootstocks did not fare near as well as Dekopon, nor did Brown select on US897.  The Dekopon is on Cleo.  All of the trees pictured here were planted spring 2017.

TFN