Author Topic: Manilita Mango  (Read 2573 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Manilita Mango
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
I bought this mango tree from Fairchild's Mango Festival in 2010, I am embarrassed to say (because my tree is now only about 4 feet tall and is just producing its first fruits as the result of a sub par, shaded planting area, after almost 5 years in the ground).  At that time the write up was as follows:

It is a selection of 'Manila' from the Pacific Coast of Mexico. The fruit are small and elongated, weighing 250 g (9 oz). The color is an eye-catching pastel red, which covers all but the nose of the fruit. The flesh is light yellow and silky-smooth, with a pleasing sweet and uncomplicated flavor. It is perfect for eating out of hand, for slicing and for dehydrating. The fruit ripen early in the mango season, allowing the grower to have a jump on the season. It is often the earliest red mango to ripen in Florida. The tree is dwarf and disease resistant and is perfectly suited for container or patio production. Tree size can be maintained at 2 m or less in height and 1.5 m in spread. Production is not heavy, but ample harvests can be maintained with proper care.

I just tasted my first home grown fruit and I was pleasantly surprised.  It had a very nice flavor and I was really expecting much less based upon other reviews here on the forum.  Is this a blue ribbon winner, a taste sensation?  No....its not, but is very respectable in overall eating experience, and for those that want an early, smaller, colorful skinned fruit that has a very manageable growth habit, this mango is worth the effort, in my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:51:17 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Manilita Mango
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
Harry thanks for the write up. Patrick seems to like it. I believe he has a tree. Another member Sunworshiper has a bearing tree also and had a thread on this in the past.
I have one i planted last Oct. 3gal seems to be a slow grower or dwarf?
Some may not find it spectacular but i based my planting on Sunworshipper and Patrick's opinions now add you to the list. Glad that i planted.
Thanks again! :)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
I have seen some of the negative reviews in the past. I have always liked it. I call them pocket mangoes and we have 2 nice producing trees. We sell everyone of the fruits and have a waiting list for it. We have been picking Manillita mangoes for a month and still have plenty on the tree. If you ever want some Harry let me know.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
Since I know some of the comments are directed at me, I thought I would respond.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no right or wrong (though I have to wonder about some  ;)  :o  8) ),  As to my comments on Manilita, that is why there is vanilla and chocolate as well as approximately 100 varieties of mangoes to choose from.  I stick to my guns...I will say I would much prefer it over a Carrie any day of the week.  If Manilita and Carrie were the only available mangoes, I would gladly eat a Manilita.  If Carrie and Tommy Atkins were the only varieties of mangoes, I would not eat mangoes.  With that being said, and all the available varieties to choose from, I would not go out of my way to seek out a Manilta.

Hope I havet offended anyone as that is not what my comments are meant to do.  I am just making comments as I feel readers should know there is diversity amongst people's tastes.  Hell, I know some who do not like Lemon Zest, and the same people very much like PPK...go figure.
- Rob

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
Hi Rob. Certainly no offense taken on my part. Everyone has their own presences and that's what makes this forum work. I agree there are way better mangoes, I like the fact they are early and productive. At least you didn't curse me out! Hahahaha.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Since I know some of the comments are directed at me, I thought I would respond.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there is no right or wrong (though I have to wonder about some  ;)  :o  8) ),  As to my comments on Manilita, that is why there is vanilla and chocolate as well as approximately 100 varieties of mangoes to choose from.  I stick to my guns...I will say I would much prefer it over a Carrie any day of the week.  If Manilita and Carrie were the only available mangoes, I would gladly eat a Manilita.  If Carrie and Tommy Atkins were the only varieties of mangoes, I would not eat mangoes. With that being said, and all the available varieties to choose from, I would not go out of my way to seek out a Manilta.

Hope I havet offended anyone as that is not what my comments are meant to do.  I am just making comments as I feel readers should know there is diversity amongst people's tastes.  Hell, I know some who do not like Lemon Zest, and the same people very much like PPK...go figure.

;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
Hi Rob. Certainly no offense taken on my part. Everyone has their own prefrences and that's what makes this forum work. I agree there are way better mangoes, I like the fact they are early and productive. At least you didn't curse me out! Hahahaha.