Author Topic: Cotton Candy mango can be coconutty too...  (Read 1239 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Cotton Candy mango can be coconutty too...
« on: August 09, 2020, 05:53:35 PM »
I just ate my last Cotton Candy of the season because it was getting pecked at (perfectly tree ripe) and was surprised it had a fairly strong coconut flavor.
 Stronger coconut flavor than Pickering and almost as strong as Coconut Cream.
 The Cotton Candy fruit from Mid June onwards all had at least a hint of coconut but later in the season it was a lot stronger. Don't count this one out if you like a coconut flavor in a late mango. The earlier season fruit were ripening a little unevenly but this one was perfect. Late season Keitts can have a hint of coconut but not this strong. I think the coconut flavor genes came from its Keitt parent.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Cotton Candy mango can be coconutty too...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
Good to know, enjoyed the Cotton Candy this year.

How were those Lil' Gems??

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
Never noticed any hint of coconut in cotton candy and definitely never noticed it in any Keitt in any way.

To me, Coconut Cream is not true coconut flavored but more Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil.
- Rob

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »
Maybe growing conditions in SW Florida are a little different. I have tasted coconut in locally grown very late season Keitt that were getting soft ripe in more than one season in this area. Those fruit came from mature trees that were not fertilized. My soil is really poor and it seems like we get less rain here. I don't have an irrigation system.  Little Gem has a bit of coconut flavor as well if soft ripe here at this time of the season. I have about 20 of those still hanging, they are very rich if fully ripe. Come get a few Little Gem if you want to try some. I have caught and relocated about 20 possums this season so I am going to have to pick the rest in the next week or so.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:22:19 PM by TonyinCC »

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »
ive picked up coconut so strong in my cotton candy tree I thought it might have been mislabeled coconut cream.  Tony im glad you agree I was starting to think I was crazy.

I was exposed to a lot of Hawaiian Tropic and I agree its spot on for coconut cream.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:33:45 PM by Aaron »

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:11:53 PM »
Maybe growing conditions in SW Florida are a little different. I have tasted coconut in locally grown very late season Keitt that were getting soft ripe in more than one season in this area. Those fruit came from mature trees that were not fertilized. My soil is really poor and it seems like we get less rain here. I don't have an irrigation system.  Little Gem has a bit of coconut flavor as well if soft ripe here at this time of the season. I have about 20 of those still hanging, they are very rich if fully ripe. Come get a few Little Gem if you want to try some. I have caught and relocated about 20 possums this season so I am going to have to pick the rest in the next week or so.

Thank you! Definitely want to try the Lil Gem's!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:17:40 PM by Jabba The Hutt »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 06:51:19 AM »
I tried one of Tony's lil Gem's it was small but clean colorful and had an enjoyable mango flavor I couldn't liken to anything but good. His Nancy was very good too, very large.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 11:24:14 AM »

My Lil Gem tree fruited for the first time this year. Did not flower a lot but held on to about 12 fruits. Awesome classic mango flavor when picked almost ripe from the tree, but not as good when picked early. Needs to stay longer on the tree for optimal flavor, unlike some other varieties such as Sweet Tart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk