Author Topic: Trying to make an escape from the craphole called Facebook  (Read 3130 times)

Axel

• Hawaii Montane rainforest tropical zone (USDA 12b/13a)
    • View Profile
Trying to make an escape from the craphole called Facebook
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:53:39 AM »
The fruit groups on FB seem devoid of any substance. This place seems like a reasonable place to post. Are there folks here from Hawaii or similar tropical climates or are most people here from the US mainland? Really looking for folks to exchange knowledge. Our farm is nested in the rainforest and pastures on the lower southeastern slopes of Mauna Kea. Generally it's very moist with 90-100% humidity and daily precipitation and a very narrow temperature range from 62F to 80F all year, and a handful rare Mornings with lows in the upper 50's when the jet stream drops some arctic air down our way. Main commercial fruit crop are the American garcinia (achacha and Lucs), many artocarpus trees, cacao and cupuacu. Then I also do some hobby growing of hundreds of distinct odd tropical and temperate distinct fruit species just for biodiversity and experimentation sakes, I am very interested in tropical nuts and oily fruit like pili and so on. And I have a small experimental deciduous orchard on one of the North facing slopes on the farm that turns out to be surprisingly successful with producing low chill apples, peaches, blueberries and blueberries.

That's about it when it comes to fruits. I should mention the whole farm (45 acres) focuses on regenerative farming practices so we have herds of dairy cows and dairy goats for rapid regenerative nutrient cycling to create fertilizer, with commercial dairy production as a byproduct, so we also grow a ton of nitrogen fixing tropical fodder crops - trees, vines, ground covers and bushes.

FB has been stealing audiences from forums like these but the FB groups are superficial and of no substance. Hopefully I am not the only one who's figured this out and people here post frequently enough to make it more interesting. Thanks for reading.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to make an escape from the craphole called Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:53:23 AM »
Welcome to TFF!
Thats a big orchard you have there .
What tropical nut trees do you have? From Juglandaceae?
I also grow nut trees and was hoping to go on with northern pecans and walnuts but after i lost all the pecans i switched to almond trees.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 07:27:29 AM »
FB has been stealing audiences from forums like these but the FB groups are superficial and of no substance. Hopefully I am not the only one who's figured this out and people here post frequently enough to make it more interesting. Thanks for reading.
You could narrow your focus and work to create a smaller group with less superficial stuff and more local or relevant substance. It is possible to do that on FB or elsewhere. I do both. There may be private groups already working in that direction.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 06:15:53 AM »
Welcome to the froum,

this place is surely better than FB. Nobody wants to steal you personal information here haha
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

Axel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:46:14 PM »
Welcome to TFF!
I also grow nut trees and was hoping to go on with northern pecans and walnuts but after i lost all the pecans i switched to almond trees.

I grow tropical nuts, the only tropical Juglandaceae I am familiar with is the Andean walnut which I do grow but not for eating, but for botanical reasons since the fruit is rather dismal. Sounds like you are in a very cold climate compared to Hawaii. A lot of delicious nuts that we are unable to grow will do well in your climate, Tropical nuts in Romania sounds challenging, I am curious to learn if you actually do and which ones.

Axel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
Welcome to the froum,

this place is surely better than FB. Nobody wants to steal you personal information here haha

The problem with Facebook is that the notifications are so cluttered it's impossible to track discussions. I really could care less if x or y likes my posts, or if z did this, all I need is to get notified when there are replies to my comments or posts.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
Welcome to TFF!

I grow tropical nuts, the only tropical Juglandaceae I am familiar with is the Andean walnut which I do grow but not for eating, but for botanical reasons since the fruit is rather dismal. Sounds like you are in a very cold climate compared to Hawaii. A lot of delicious nuts that we are unable to grow will do well in your climate, Tropical nuts in Romania sounds challenging, I am curious to learn if you actually do and which ones.
The red husk tropical walnuts are endangered and its nice if you grow them .
There are otther tropical walnuts you can grow ( for botanical reasons) like Oreumunea and Alfaroa.
I grow carpathian walnuts ,almonds and i have somme gevuina seedlings ( proteaceae,related to macadamia).
I grow these rare ,giant walnut seeds.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:05:58 PM by SeaWalnut »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
Wow, sounds like an amazing operation. No tropical almond? Its something I am trying here in Orlando area, gotten a seedling to year 2 so far.  Welcome to the forums, there are at least two other Hawaiian growers who frequent this page...I just cant remember them off hand even though I have ordered seeds from both. Your climate sounds like my perfect living temperature lol.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 10:42:01 PM »
Welcome to the froum,

The problem with Facebook is that the notifications are so cluttered it's impossible to track discussions. I really could care less if x or y likes my posts, or if z did this, all I need is to get notified when there are replies to my comments or posts.

Fairly sure you can change your notification settings to clear that up, but agree that this forum is more helpful than most all of the FB groups.  There are more serious questions and discussions flying around on here and less empty pic sharing.

DanConnor

• Nanegal, Ecuador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Hi Axel,

I have property in Ecuador at 1400 meters that with a climate that sounds similar to yours. There are a few acres of trees apparently planted (by previous owner) for lumber that included some andean walnut. What do you mean when you say you grow it for botanical reasons- just because its a nice tree?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 10:24:30 PM »
The fruit groups on FB seem devoid of any substance. This place seems like a reasonable place to post. Are there folks here from Hawaii or similar tropical climates or are most people here from the US mainland? Really looking for folks to exchange knowledge. Our farm is nested in the rainforest and pastures on the lower southeastern slopes of Mauna Kea. Generally it's very moist with 90-100% humidity and daily precipitation and a very narrow temperature range from 62F to 80F all year, and a handful rare Mornings with lows in the upper 50's when the jet stream drops some arctic air down our way. Main commercial fruit crop are the American garcinia (achacha and Lucs), many artocarpus trees, cacao and cupuacu. Then I also do some hobby growing of hundreds of distinct odd tropical and temperate distinct fruit species just for biodiversity and experimentation sakes, I am very interested in tropical nuts and oily fruit like pili and so on. And I have a small experimental deciduous orchard on one of the North facing slopes on the farm that turns out to be surprisingly successful with producing low chill apples, peaches, blueberries and blueberries.

That's about it when it comes to fruits. I should mention the whole farm (45 acres) focuses on regenerative farming practices so we have herds of dairy cows and dairy goats for rapid regenerative nutrient cycling to create fertilizer, with commercial dairy production as a byproduct, so we also grow a ton of nitrogen fixing tropical fodder crops - trees, vines, ground covers and bushes.

Axel,

Welcome to the forum. Was CloudForest your website? Lots of great information used to be on that website. What happened to it?

It's great having someone with your level of knowledge and experience join the forum. Hopefully, you like it here and continue to post.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 01:44:37 AM »
On one hand, I would love for all the fruit discussion to leave Facebook and move to a public forum like this one, mainly so it can be indexed by search engines. On the other hand, Facebook is so much more active than any other fruit forum I have been a part of.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:46:54 AM by joehewitt »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 06:18:17 AM »
Wow, sounds like an amazing operation. No tropical almond? Its something I am trying here in Orlando area, gotten a seedling to year 2 so far.  Welcome to the forums, there are at least two other Hawaiian growers who frequent this page...I just cant remember them off hand even though I have ordered seeds from both. Your climate sounds like my perfect living temperature lol.
Tropical almond grows wild all along the coast here, so not much incentive to plant it.
Oscar

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:01 AM »
All I see on my FB is sexy Jaboticaba! #Plinia, Myrciaria Group

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
I don’t do FB or any social media , This Forum has provided me the knowledge to grow successfully my trees and even learned how to Graft .

Welcome aboard!

Ed 
Zone 10

jlohr

• Belize
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
Welcome to TFF!

The red husk tropical walnuts are endangered and its nice if you grow them .
There are otther tropical walnuts you can grow ( for botanical reasons) like Oreumunea and Alfaroa.
I grow carpathian walnuts ,almonds and i have somme gevuina seedlings ( proteaceae,related to macadamia).
I grow these rare ,giant walnut seeds.

Wow these look great!  I am also trying to grow various nuts in Belize, Zone 14.  I just recently got seeds for juglans olanchana and hoping for good germination.  Do you have any recommendations on other Juglandaceae that may do well in my climate? 

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »
I don't use Facebook.  Why feed monsters?

FloridaBoy

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:25:44 AM »
Welcome aboard brother.  Ive met some pretty amazing people from here and the generosity Ive recieved from every person Ive met here is unmatched.  Ive been here for 1 season and I cant wait to return the favor.  By the way there are some really special people from Hawaii on here.  Im sure you guys can easily connect.  God bless you.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 01:59:00 PM »
Ive met some pretty amazing people from here and the generosity Ive recieved from every person Ive met here is unmatched.

So true