Author Topic: BRIX  (Read 4637 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
BRIX
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Most people know when we talk about brix in citrus, we are referring to the sugar (sucrose) sweetness in a citrus fruit..  But what exactly is brix.

Brix is a measurement of sugar (sucrose) in solution, indicated in degrees.  One degree brix equals one gram of sucrose in 100 grams of solution (juice).
 Citrus Research.Org

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: BRIX
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:37:41 AM »
Good info Millet. Sometimes Brix is misunderstood. Somehow it is associated with taste.....I suppose because taste is associated with sweetness or the opposite.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the info! People also sometimes get incorrect Brix readings by getting small pieces of fruit flesh mixed in with the sample. If this happens, it will interfere with the light and can give a false high reading.

From what I have experienced, taking Brix readings from just about every piece of fruit I’ve eaten, the higher the Brix, the better the fruit tastes. The caveat is that over ripe fruit/fermented fruit can be horrible.

Simon

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 09:22:45 PM »
Brix/acid ratio
The ratio of the juice's brix to the grams of anhydrous citric acid per 100 grams of the juice. Indicator of juice quality and predictor of consumer acceptability.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 11:09:22 PM »
Reasons accounting for higher or lower levels of sugars and acids in citrus fruits.

1. Citrus trees growing in areas of high humidly and warm nights produce fruit with higher sugar levels and lower acidity.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
2. Conversely, citrus growing in arid areas with cool nights produce fruit with lower sugar levels and higher acidity.

CanadaGrower

• Vancouver, BC, Canada Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
It seems like adding micronutrients such as humic and fulvic acids maybe beneficial in increasing brix for some plants... the question is would this also apply to citrus?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
As far as I know there is no research showing the Brix content of citrus fruit and Humic and Fulvic acids.  However, biostimulants such as humic and fulvic acids can be beneficial to citrus.  See the link below.
http://citrusindustry.net/2017/12/06/plant-biostimulants-snake-oils-or-beneficial-substances/

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
I use Pyroligneous acid wich is made of humic and fulvic acids ,for my acid loving plants with great success.
I use it to lower the ph of rainwater down to 4,5 and it chelates the iron nails i put in the soil wich prevents chlorosis of the plants.
I like this pyroligneous acid soo much that i am considering ways to make my own from wood .

CanadaGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
Very interesting indeed. Unfortunately it seems they only sell to laboratories... I do work in one but I doubt management will allow me to order for personal use :p

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
Very interesting indeed. Unfortunately it seems they only sell to laboratories... I do work in one but I doubt management will allow me to order for personal use :p
I got it from supermarket near the biochar section.
Its a byproduct from making charcoal ,basically the condensed fumes.
Here is a blog i made on how i use it.
If the water is hard and has higher ph or a lot of buffer in it, it will turn it black just by a few drops of humic acid.
Its usually verry expensive stuff,one gallon costs @ 100 dollars but it has the humic acid from the equivalent 7 tonnes of compost.You use a little.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32490.msg356453#msg356453
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:34:31 PM by SeaWalnut »

CanadaGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 12:35:04 AM »
Upon further investigation, it looks that humic acid is readily available on amazon not sure if it's essentially the same thing? anyhow, I see a lot of people choose to do a foliar spray. How are you applying it SeaWalnut?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 01:31:37 AM »
Upon further investigation, it looks that humic acid is readily available on amazon not sure if it's essentially the same thing? anyhow, I see a lot of people choose to do a foliar spray. How are you applying it SeaWalnut?
I mix it in the water wich i use to wet the plants( soil).
You can buy from online stores but its expensive stuff usually.
If its too expensive doesnt worth to buy it but if its cheap ,get it and for sure you will like it.
Pyroligneous acid its same as humic and fulvic acid,has both  and the expensive ones come from charcoal mineral deposits.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 04:39:26 AM »
The principal components of pyroligneous acid are acetic acid, acetone and methanol.
Wikipedia
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
The principal components of pyroligneous acid are acetic acid, acetone and methanol.
Wikipedia
Wikipedia is sometimes not a good place to get references  ;D.
Its humic acid and fulvic acid and its also called wood vinnegar.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
OK back to Brix

Brix #3: Heat during a fruit's early life is important.  The more hours >75F (28C) during EARLY fruit growth gives grater Brix/acid rations later when the fruit is picked mature.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:53:06 AM by Millet »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Got it Millet. I think thre only time to evaluate brix is when the fruit is fully ripe. By ripe I mean at the peak of development of juice, sugar content. Brix changes as fruit goes through its maturing phases. Taste it seems is a personal opinion and is a diffrent choice for lots of folks. In order to have a standard Brix chart, and I know there are some, I wonder at what point the brix was calculated and was personal opinion as to ripeness a factor. What thinks you?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:04:29 AM by Bomand »

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »
Wikipedia
Wikipedia is sometimes not a good place to get references  ;D.
Its humic acid and fulvic acid and its also called wood vinnegar.
Do you have this reference?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 05:58:18 PM »
This paper shows how you can increase the Brix of Mangos. By spraying with the suggested foliar sprays at the recommended concentrations, they were also able to increase yields/decrease fruit drop.

http://scihub.org/ABJNA/PDF/2010/3/1-3-421-429.pdf

Ensuring your trees get enough nutrition, especially Potassium, Calcium and the appropriate amount of Boron can help to achieve higher Brix levels.

Simon

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
Brix 4: If your after sweetness, picking fruit after several days of rain gives fruit with lower Brix levels.

Brix 5: Fruit picked from the south and west side of a citrus tree have higher levels of both sugars and acid.
           Fruit picked from the interior of the tree has less sugars.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:58:48 PM by Millet »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:18:53 PM by sc4001992 »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 09:21:57 AM »
Because the north wind did its thing. Several trees that I have tower above the roof line of buildings. The North face of the part that projects above the roof never has but a couple of fruits and is subject to twig die back in winter.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
If its too expensive doesnt worth to buy it but if its cheap ,get it and for sure you will like it.
Pyroligneous acid its same as humic and fulvic acid,has both  and the expensive ones come from charcoal mineral deposits.

Wood vinegar costs 3 us$ a litre in thailand.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »

Wood vinegar costs 3 us$ a litre in thailand.
The one from coal mines is expensive.Wood vinnegar is especially cheap in Asia where people use it a lot.
In Europe ,because its rarely used ,its more expensive.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
Brix 6: On crop years produce sweeter fruit than off crop years.

Brix 7: Older citrus trees produce fruit with higher sugar content than young trees.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:52:09 PM by Millet »