Author Topic: Gotta hate and love Home Depot.  (Read 1350 times)

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
Gotta hate and love Home Depot.
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:07:47 PM »
Home Depot never ceases to amaze and infuriate me. Went today specifically for peat moss and vermiculite. Out of both. Walked all over the garden area hoping to find a misplaced bag or 2 since I did not want to go to Lowe’s. Wouldn’t you know it saw a 15 gallon standard color finger lime holding quite a few fruit. 1” trunk and at least 6’ tall. $99. Got it. Went to load her up and found 15 mature ripe finger limes in the container. Just one tree mixed with general citrus. Will plant her tomorrow. The limes have mature seeds. Are they worth germinating?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta hate and love Home Depot.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »
Wow I even have random citrus finds at Home Depot... I got a large Key Lime, and good sized Meyer Lemon randomly in Pennsylvania years ago for $50 each.  I wonder if they were mistake shipments meant for southern states. 

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »
Some very lucky finds. I have to drive to another town to go to a Home Depot. I do have a Lowe's much closer. Their citrus selection is quite scattershot. What Lowe's lacks in selection, they make up for in their desire to get rid of all their citrus trees before the end of summer. I got a pair of 3-4 ft. tall Variegated Pink Eureka Lemons 75% off today; $17.48 plus tax for the pair is a pretty good deal. One of them even has both fruit and blooms.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
I used to go to Lowes and buy all their spent perennial bulbs for 90% off, entire racks full.  After a few years they stopped discounting them so much and now they get trashed I guess.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
The limes have mature seeds. Are they worth germinating?
Yes - if you don't mind waiting a few years it's fun to see what you get!
Fingerlimes hybridize easily so you will most likely get some very variable seedlings and eventually fruits of different sizes, shapes and colour.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
Lowes owns their plants, Home Depot rents theirs.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »
That's a great HD find for sure! I actually wandered through my HD garden center a few times recently hoping to find a finger lime. Surprised by some of the more obscure stuff they do have from time to time.

Really nice orchids, bromeliads, citrus, passion vines, rare agave, and even some choice mangoes.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:54:51 AM by roblack »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
When it comes to fruit trees, I think that Home Depot always has a better selection.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
Just depends on which part of any state or city. On my way home from Vegas,  the Barstow Home Depot had mostly palms and ornamentals. Last week in Illinois,  Champaign,  ornamentals.

While the HD near me regularly receives a truckload from La Verne,  100+ avocados,  dozen mango, etc. The HD person said stuff has been selling like hotcakes since April.

Champaign:

Nearby HD

When it comes to fruit trees, I think that Home Depot always has a better selection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk