Author Topic: ID of this citrus fruit please.  (Read 4035 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
ID of this citrus fruit please.
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:24:26 AM »
Hi.......I bought this tree off a lady sometime ago,here in Perth..Western Australia.......She sold it as a "Mandarin"........Yeah right !
I have asked all sorts of people and checked my citrus books for ripening times....asked a guy who i respect with Citrus and he doesnt know !
These are my suspected culprits
1.....Tangelo -Seminole
2.....Tangelo - Minnieol (spelt wrong)
3.....Ugly fruit
                  Its bloody huge i know that and has just started to ripen now in Sept........At first i thought it was a minneola.......Its more that shape but it should have ripened by now for that.....so any help appreciated.......I hope it tastes as impressive as it looks !....Millet will know.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:26:46 AM by laidbackdood »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: ID of this citrus fruit please.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:58:35 AM »
I'm rooting for an Ugli. I had a minneola but I'm too warm for then and the fruit turned out atypical. Z Seminole is more disc like and mandarin like also. Even Washington navels get huge like grapefruit for me and don't have much taste. It is what's inside that counts. What does the skin smell like when you scratch it? Some bush lemons get huge and wrinkly. Is it pomelo size?

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 08:45:15 AM »
It could be from the Vietnamese Cam Sanh King Orange group, which are mandarin hybrids.
The King in Australia has knobbly skin, and hollow core.
King was used in early Citrus breeding, and its offspring often have knobbly skin, ie Cara Cara in Australia
Could also be Ugli. Some selections are not the classic ie NZ type.
Also looks like Sanbokan, or Flicks Yellow.
Is it a seedling or grafted ??
Yours doesn't ring bells with me straight away, maybe update when it ripens.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 11:09:39 AM »
Laidbackdude,  where you been hiding?  Always nice seeing you. Your fruit looks like a Gold Nugget Mandarin.  Gold Nuggets are always bumpy, some more and some less.  They are very easy peeling and quit sweet. . Look up pictures on the Internet.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 01:07:26 PM »
Hahaha....thats true millet...havent been on here for a while.......Thanks for everyones opinions......I have no idea where it originated...pretty sure its grafted....
I have never seen anything like this before and its nothing like we get in the main bunnings either.
Whilst the big one is ripening....the others are still growing......i guess we will wait until i think shes nice and ripe and see what happens....i will have a look at those pics millet....if its a mandarin of some form ,its gone mighty on me !...quite a few have gone for ugly fruit......they are pretty commonly available in nz.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:09:52 PM by laidbackdood »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
Gold Nugget is also a King Orange hybrid Wilking X Kincy. That's willow leaf x king X king x dancy.
The fruit are for sale in Australia, the trees are normally restricted to registered growers.
Looking forward to see the pics of cut fruit etc.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:44:18 AM »
I have gold nuggets in the fridge atm and they are not so big and have a different colour.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
Gold Nugget is also a King Orange hybrid Wilking X Kincy. That's willow leaf x king X king x dancy.
The fruit are for sale in Australia, the trees are normally restricted to registered growers.
Looking forward to see the pics of cut fruit etc.
Thats interesting...I wonder where that lady got hold of it ?........I had better look after it then !...However i did see some pics of golden nugget with much smoother skins.......so it could still be an ugly fruit........guess we will have to wait and see now until its fully ripe.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:14:58 AM by laidbackdood »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 01:49:55 PM »
Looking at gold nugget pictures on the Internet you will see how different fruit are more or less distorted in shape.  Some years back I has a Ugly citrus tree.  I often wondered why the tree was called Ugly, as neither the tree or the fruit looked all that different than normal.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 08:54:15 AM »
Mike T have you ever seen an Ugli in Nth Qld ? I heard they are grown in Nth NSW.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 10:20:12 AM »
UPDATE....I wrote to the tech guy from citrus australia......he told me he doubted it was a golden nugget and thought it could be the ugly fruit or yuzu i think it was called.......but i have a description to go on if it is the ugly.......full of seeds inside ...can be brown and not much else......
I havent noticed any thorns on the tree........But i have noticed the other big fruit catching up with the other one now and there is one other small one on the tree........the mystery remains but she is ripening at the start of spring here....thats unusual.
If its full of seeds and not much else it will feel light when i pick it.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/japanese-citrus-fruit-yuzu-brings-profits-to-australian-farmers/9960504
At the moment it looks most like the golden nugget to me and i read that in its early cropping days its more prone to growing knurly fruit and in following years they become smoother.
so when i pick it guys and take pics.......am i best to slice it in half and take pics for your perusal or peel it and have the whole fruit to take pic of?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:36:24 AM by laidbackdood »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 10:25:03 AM »
https://postimg.cc/7GdWGD2F

Man...it does look like that golden nugget.....only bigger.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:37:18 AM by laidbackdood »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 01:32:22 PM »
https://postimg.cc/7GdWGD2F

Man...it does look like that golden nugget.....only bigger.
I have a GN tree about 6-7 years. 
2019 spring (from the flowers from 2018), it had about 30 fruits, mostly big.  Half of them were with somehow rough ring but not really bad. 
2020 spring, it had about 150 fruits, slightly smaller, but still big.  Not many of them had rough ring.
2020, full, it has a minimal load, only about 3-4 fruits, very rough ring.   I guess I will cut them off next a few of months.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 01:37:56 PM »
Millet,

GN fruits are usually ready between March to May/Jun.   Unfortunately, it is the same period of blooming.

Will the fruits remaining on the tree retard the blooming so cause alternative bearing?   The fruits can be picked up earlier but they would not taste sweet (I tried.  They were bland in March and improved gradually to May/June).

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
It's not a Yuzu, it might be Ugli but probably not, unless it's a seedling.
It might be Gold Nugget, maybe having one or two mature fruit is throwing them out to be big and rough ?
I think this is what EricSC is saying.
The leaves in your pics do look like mandarin X orange, so that would cover Tangelos, King relatives.
What scent do you get when you scratch the skin or crush a leaf ??

It could well be none of the above.  Here is a list of historic Citrus vars in Australia.
Every category listed below Citrus, Limes and Shaddocks are now unknown here, not in Citrus research collections. Possibly they could still  pop up on old farms or gardens.
That's a lot of lemons mandarins oranges limes and pummelos that have faded away.
https://heritageandrarefruits.weebly.com/citrus.html

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
I have seen lots of ugliness in my time but never an ugli tree in Nth Qld.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 01:20:24 PM »
Update with image.......the fruits feel heavy....which means juice i believe....apparently ugly fruit are full of seeds and not much else........the tree has no thorns......and has 4 fruit in total.....the second one is catching up now........according to aus citrus the ripening in auzzie is spot on for what its doing right now.......since sept hit.......it started changing colour........Its pretty exciting ! haha.
I have watched a few things from usa on it and apparently it can stay on the tree for ages and still be good......so i am going to let it ripen up really good before i pick it.......the fact there are only 4 fruit would enhance its size i think.......looking at them its almost hard to believe its a mandarin.....the fruit skin doesnt smell of anything and i havent sniffed a leaf yet but i will......its just starting to put out a little new growth as well with spring burst.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:23:09 PM by laidbackdood »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Certainly looks like a Gold Nugget.  I currently have fruit on my GN tree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 05:28:27 AM »

What is sold as gold nugget here in supermarkets maybe isn't the real deal. Auro also looks similar and may be the same thing but is smaller.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 12:40:51 AM »
I took a leaf off and ripped it and it smelled sweet !
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:44:46 AM by laidbackdood »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
Millet,

GN fruits are usually ready between March to May/Jun.   Unfortunately, it is the same period of blooming.

Will the fruits remaining on the tree retard the blooming so cause alternative bearing?   The fruits can be picked up earlier but they would not taste sweet (I tried.  They were bland in March and improved gradually to May/June).
so thats between late winter to late spring/early summer in the usa right?....Thanks.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 02:49:11 PM »
Laidbackdood, you are correcct.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 02:34:42 PM »
I am now 90% convinced its an "Ugly fruit"......i sent a pic to a friend in nz and she told me she had one of those in her garden and they grow big...are full of seeds and she said it was dry.....well that could be due to many things....lack of watering....left on the tree too long........the ugly originates from Jamaica  mun (with the accent)..........its going more orange every day....according to the description its a cross between a grapefuit and an orange i think and can have a sweet and tangy taste......so we will see.....its too huge to be a mandarin i reckon.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Certainly looks like a Gold Nugget.  I currently have fruit on my GN tree.
sept is your autumn .....we are now in spring and its ripening now........thats totally different Millet.......My money is now on UGLY which is a shame because i would have loved a Golden nugget ! hahaha