Author Topic: mango lover coming out of the closet ha ha  (Read 12116 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
mango lover coming out of the closet ha ha
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
Well I must confess I spent many years trying not to like mangos! With the help of a forum member I was finally able to sample some top tier mangos! I'm hooked on them now! I was able to sample Fruit Punch, Orange Sherbert, Honey Kiss, Edgar and Zinc. Unfortunately or fortunately since eating a Fruit Punch I think every fruit I try after that will be second rate! I have been growing and trying fruit since 1985 and haven't ever had any fruit that was good as the Fruit Punch mango! It just has a very nice fruity flavor that could only be called deliciousness itself! I had company when these mangos arrived and I shared a small slice of this mango with them and they were totally amazed! After getting that sample each time I went into the kitchen and got the knife and cutting board out I had a crowd wanting to sample another mango! The next favorite was Orange Sherbert. I really liked the flavor a nice very sweet orange flavor to me! All the mangos were very good but if I lived in an area where I could grow mangos unprotected I would have an orchard full of Fruit Punch and Orange Sherbert! As a matter of fact I would probably trade my whole collection of fruiting plants that I have been collecting since 1985 from all over the place for fruiting size Fruit Punch and Orange Sherbert trees!

Now I understand the mango fascination!

Zills please keep up the great work!
Thanks,

Ed

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:48:45 AM by edself65 »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: mango lover coming out of the closet ha ha
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
Congrats, sounds like you had very good tasting mangoes. Have you tried Lemon Zest yet?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »
Not yet! I hope to soon! I also would like to try Coconut Cream and Peach Cobbler! It's a challenge to get these top tier fruit to Texas!

Ed

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
Hi Ed! I am glad to hear about your new discovery. You have been missing out for so many year.

Tomas

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »
The next step is to buy two mango trees and devise frost protection. You are 200 miles south of Los Angeles (many mango trees there) and your weather is hotter in the summer. So you live in prime mango growing territory, if you frost protect.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
For sure! I'm prepared to fruit some in a greenhouse!

mangobaby

• Houston
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Don't leave those mango seeds in the closet..

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
Ha ha for sure! They are all ready potted up!

Ed
Don't leave those mango seeds in the closet..

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
Well I must confess I spent many years trying not to like mangos! With the help of a forum member I was finally able to sample some top tier mangos! I'm hooked on them now! I was able to sample Fruit Punch, Orange Sherbert, Honey Kiss, Edgar and Zinc. Unfortunately or fortunately since eating a Fruit Punch I think every fruit I try after that will be second rate! I have been growing and trying fruit since 1985 and haven't ever had any fruit that was good as the Fruit Punch mango! It just has a very nice fruity flavor that could only be called deliciousness itself! I had company when these mangos arrived and I shared a small slice of this mango with them and they were totally amazed! After getting that sample each time I went into the kitchen and got the knife and cutting board out I had a crowd wanting to sample another mango! The next favorite was Orange Sherbert. I really liked the flavor a nice very sweet orange flavor to me! All the mangos were very good but if I lived in an area where I could grow mangos unprotected I would have an orchard full of Fruit Punch and Orange Sherbert! As a matter of fact I would probably trade my whole collection of fruiting plants that I have been collecting since 1985 from all over the place for fruiting size Fruit Punch and Orange Sherbert trees!

Now I understand the mango fascination!

Zills please keep up the great work!
Thanks,

Ed

Ed, that's funny , welcome to the club!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:39 PM »
Ed, I had a Coconut Cream a few days ago and it was absolutely delicious. It easily lived up to it's namesake. Enjoy your new found love of mangos.
Life is good

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
Thanks Bob! I'm looking forward to the day I can try a Coconut Cream! I'm willing to buy a couple fruit and pay shipping if anyone has a few to share! Willing even to try in a few plants from my collection to trade for the fruit!
Thanks,

Ed

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
haha! You finally caught on! Honestly, the best fruit that can be grown in south florida is the mango. I think a lot of us start off collecting "conversation piece" / rare / interesting fruits and end up yanking most everything in favor of mango. I started off with like 2 mangos myself and opposed my wife wanting to get a 3rd one. Well, 8 years later, I have over 20 mangoes in ground with another 15 more about to be planted on the neighboring lot that we just acquired.

I know there is a tendency to be enamored with "unique" or "rare" fruits, but from the point of view of practicality, the following characteristics make a great fruit:

- Reliable, consistent, and heavy production
 - Easy to grow
 - Sweet / delicious flavor
 - Easy to consume (ie, small berry type fruits are a pain in the neck to eat more than a couple, and fruits that require a lot of preparation to eat also suck).

Mango is one of the few fruits that fits all of the above.

If I were in socal, I might choose cherimoya as the #1 fruit. But for Florida, nothing beats mango. I know saff won't like that but it's true :-).
Jeff  :-)

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:44 PM »
I also used to turn my nose up at mangoes, this all started in the early sixties. One neighbor on our block had a tree and no one liked them so they fell and rotted on the ground, now keep in mind, in the earliest of the sixties no one had air conditioning in South Florida, the rot would permeate air.  Now about 20 yrs ago a co worker gave me a slice, it opened my mind and senses. I had 3 trees for a while now I am up to 19.
a footnote to this story is that my sister tried some of my top tiers this year and she found out she likes mangoes. :o thank you food channel for getting her to try it again.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 08:00:27 PM »
I agree with you 100% Jeff! The rare and unique stuff is fun to grow but the quality and volume of mango fruit is hard to beat! And now we have these incredible flavors! Now we need to identify some good candidates for container culture!

Ed

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
I'm continually amazed by the amount of people that "don't like mangos". But when they try a homegrown mango that is properly ripened, they go crazy over them.  But hey, if my only experience with mango is an unripe, store bought tommy atkins... I probably wouldn't like mango either
Mango: the other white meat

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 12:21:12 AM »
Ed - unfortunately the Coconut Cream are done for the year.   I will keep you on the list for next year.  I will h ave other great varieties to send you during mid season.
- Rob

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 04:58:26 AM »
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate your help! I'm looking forward to trying some mid season fruit! We really enjoyed this first batch of mangos!

Ed

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate your help! I'm looking forward to trying some mid season fruit! We really enjoyed this first batch of mangos!

Ed

You can try growing them different ways. Keep one outside and planted in ground (and kept small) but rig up  frost protection like other members have. How many days do you have each winter that go below 32 at night?

Then greenhouse mango tree(s) either planted or in a pot.
You can always keep both options in pots until you have confidence to plant them which is always better for fruit production.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
Ed,
Where in Texas do you think it's possible to grow mango trees in the ground without a greenhouse?  I believe I've heard of a mango tree or two in Houston.  Anywhere farther south?
John

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
Most years south of Houston along the coast I would think you could grow mangos in the ground without protection or minimal protection. If you get south of Corpus Christi I would think you wouldn't have any issues most years. I don't know anyone in that area so I'm not sure what they are growing. I know in the Rio Grand Valley area they are growing lots of mangos. A nursery down by Padre Island has been having a mango festival every years for the past 5 or 6 years - http://riversendnursery.com/

I plan to grow some in containers and plant some in the ground. I will build pvc structures around the ones in the ground and provide a heat source.

Ed
Ed,
Where in Texas do you think it's possible to grow mango trees in the ground without a greenhouse?  I believe I've heard of a mango tree or two in Houston.  Anywhere farther south?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
I plan to grow some in containers and plant some in the ground. I will build pvc structures around the ones in the ground and provide a heat source.

I think you know///// Just cement into the ground 4-6 lengths of larger PVC pipe that the frost proof mini-greenhouse structure's PVC pipe can slot/slide into. With many heat options starting with old Christmas lights that people get rid of due to a few broken bulbs.... they don't want their children getting a shock playing with them or chancing a fire. Draping these lights on the mango branches.

Also having hay and other mulch you can quickly pile around the trunk. Worst comes to worst the tree can grow back from the trunk when branches die from cold. Or carve up a 5 gallon bucket that will fit around trunk with a 40 watt bulb inside. Pool maintenance outfits get additives in even taller buckets than the standard five gallon....So can protect more trunk

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
Now I just need some of these high quality trees to grow! I need a source that will and can ship to Texas! Or budwood!

Ed

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »
Ed go for it man, its a challenge to grow Mangos in frost areas, I'm in zone 9 we get down to 23f some nights in Dec, Jan I have Lots of Mango trees in pots & the ground , so far I only lost 1 Mango tree last year , I have a 8X12 Green house & I use the Planet frost cover on all my in Ground trees , this winter I will be trying Out Freeze Prof Spay & the Frost Covers..

Ed..
Zone 10

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:48 AM »
Thanks Ed! We have similar weather here in the winter and blazing heat in the summer!

Ed

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
Glad you came out Ed, get a good collection going of all those excellent tasting mango's Texas is closer than Florida to Calif. ;) I hope to taste some of these wonderful mangos one day ::) 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk