Author Topic: Banana Pups Available (Deerfield Beach)  (Read 2133 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Banana Pups Available (Deerfield Beach)
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
If you live in North Broward or South Palm and you'd like to start some banana plants, I've got pups for you.  Dwarf Red (beautiful plant), Namwah, and Mysore.  If you have something to trade, fine.  But not required.  PM me.
John

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Banana Pups Available (Deerfield Beach)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
What a generous offer John!
- Mark

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
What a generous offer John!
I hadn't realized how they reproduce like crazy.  Dward Red is such a beauty--a great landscaping plant!
John

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »
Yeah, my Dwarf Red is pretty but the sides of the leaves tend to burn easily. For a really pretty banana around here, it is tough to beat Siam Ruby (deep red leaves/stem with green spots and takes heat pretty well) or Orinoco (nice and green but it takes the heat like a champ, no visible leaf burn for me last summer). But if Dwarf Red didn't burn here, it would take top spot for prettiest!
- Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:18:16 AM »
Yeah, my Dwarf Red is pretty but the sides of the leaves tend to burn easily. For a really pretty banana around here, it is tough to beat Siam Ruby (deep red leaves/stem with green spots and takes heat pretty well) or Orinoco (nice and green but it takes the heat like a champ, no visible leaf burn for me last summer). But if Dwarf Red didn't burn here, it would take top spot for prettiest!

Ahhhh...it is very easy to beat Siam Ruby if you are looking for edible fruit.  I will admit its leaves are very ornamental.   It is also somewhat cold sensitive.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »

Do your banana plants survive the winter in the desert?  In Dallas they are used as a backyard, pool-area decorative plant, but they always die back in the winter.  And so no fruit.
John

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:45:26 AM »
Ahhhh...it is very easy to beat Siam Ruby if you are looking for edible fruit.  I will admit its leaves are very ornamental.   It is also somewhat cold sensitive.

I know what you mean, I am not expecting anything good tasting off of it. But it is a very good looking plant!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »
Do your banana plants survive the winter in the desert?  In Dallas they are used as a backyard, pool-area decorative plant, but they always die back in the winter.  And so no fruit.

I cover my bananas every winter. They are in a section of my yard (one of two 'subtropical' sections) that I do cover. Other people down here plant them right next to their houses for winter warmth and can get by with not cold protecting them that way.
- Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk