Author Topic: missing a basic grafting concept, apparently...a little help?  (Read 10054 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: missing a basic grafting concept, apparently...a little help?
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
"No not a dead scion, dead in the middle as in dead-center as in aligned to the center, not an edge, of the root stock cut. :)"

Oh man!! Lucky we are not real medical doctors :) with language barrier.

LOL  ;D

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »
Yes, the secret is the cut depth. I made first cut not deep to cambium, which gave me more insight for controlling the depth of next cut. Sink the knife at the top of the cut until hit the wood then back up about 1mm for 1st cut. For 2nd cut, sink the knife until touches the wood, then tilt the sharp edge up to pry the thin bark so the thin bark slips (or pop) off the cambium, and this is the correct depth to pull the knife down to bottom of the long cut, no more no less. Done.
Along the length of the long cut if the knife got in to the wood a little bit, no worry because there is plenty of good cambium contact remain for the scion. Don’t have to be 100% cambium interface to survive. If some sections not deep to cambium then easily  just “touch up” again to slip the thin bark off to expose cambium.

Thanks, sapote, that was exactly my guess. It's a cut and peel. Nicely done, congrats!
Thera

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 10:19:16 PM »
"with no edge alignment anywhere"

Why do you think we need edge alignment?  Only the Pep Boys people doing edge alignment with toe-in :) The edges only have the bark and who care.

I believe Zafra was referring to normal grafting where the cambium of the edges must match (at least on one side) when this Zill's graft is basically a bark graft. If the sap is not flowing enough, this graft would not work as the cut and peel would not be clean enough to reveal the cambium. So in a way, it is limited to periods where the tree sap is flowing sufficiently to allow proper peeling of the bark.
Thera

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
"I believe Zafra was referring to normal grafting where the cambium of the edges must match (at least on one side) when this Zill's graft is basically a bark graft."

A bark graft? What made you think the bark and its alignment is important in this graft? For me I see it as a cambium to cambium alignment, just as any other grafting methods.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
If you look closely at how a bark graft works, you'd see that it is exactly what this graft is doing. It's aligning the scion's cambium to the cambium left on the wood revealed by the cut/peel technique. In bark grafting, you peel also the bark to reveal the wood that is covered by invisible cambium layer and you stick you scion to the wood.
Thera

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 07:00:41 PM »
"Bark graft" is technical jargon;  it does not imply that anyone is trying to get a graft to take on top of bark.
Har

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »
"In bark grafting, you peel also the bark to reveal the wood that is covered by invisible cambium layer and you stick you scion to the wood."

I understand what you meant now, but the bark has nothing to do in the alignment (of the cambium). Bark Grafting is just a name.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »
I watched the video again, of Walter veneer grafting.

What I had missed, at first, was his carefully pointed out preference for a two-beveled paring knife, slightly dull, to do the cuts on the rootstock.
One can see some dull-knife-produced sloppy fibers (of phloem?) from inner bark.   This non-sharpness has apparently aided in not cutting into the wood, and more importantly, in not scraping off much of the cambium, or even all of the phloem and phloem ray cells --- the "juicy area".  So pretty much the whole area down the middle of his cut on the root stock is receptive to meeting up with the cambium (and possibly with ray cells, per some in India) of the scion.
Har

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
Oh how I'd love to see this in close-up...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk