Author Topic: Mango Malformation Disease!  (Read 7619 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mango Malformation Disease!
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
Mango Malformation Disease is in FL and everyone should be on the lookout for it. I've seen it in nurseries and in peoples yards. I wonder if it's in CA yet. With all of you guys buying trees from FL I am sure it's only a matter of time.

Here is a great site with a ton of info on it: http://mango-malformation.blogspot.com/

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mango Malformation Disease!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »
Funny that they recommend the use of Diazinon against MMD. Diazinon was prohibited for residential use now 8 years ago due to proven carcinogenicity.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/diazinon-factsheet.htm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:10:58 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »
Do you have any pics an affected tree on either/both the leaf/stem or the pannicle ?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
Funny that they recommend the use of Diazinon against MMD. Diazinon was prohibited for residential use now 8 years ago due to proven carcinogenicity.

Wonderful. That's exactly what I want sprayed on my mango trees.

I was told a few years ago that just cutting off the affected material about 30 inches or so should solve the problem. Then you have to make sure to sterilize the cutting tool between each cut. I can't remember exactly with what but I think it was bleach.

It's very easy for it to spread in a nursery or a grove because many times the people doing the pruning will not know what to look for and can easily transfer it from tree to tree with each cut. Another easy way for a nursery to spread it is when they collect budwood for grafting. They could be grafting with budwood that has malformation because without the flowers it is more difficult to spot it.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:42 PM »
Doubt this will spread, we just don't have the humidity out here in California to sustain a good environment for fungus for very long.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
Doubt this will spread, we just don't have the humidity out here in California to sustain a good environment for fungus for very long.

Want to give it a try?  ;)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
 :-\
Oh, guys, now i'm worried.
I thought it was just some cold damage to flower bud due the cold days i have had during their develop in february.
Now what i should do? I have always kept my tree under copper and sulphur, i didn't expect fusarium!

(This is the flower bud, never developed more than this even with all the flowers opened).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:07:41 PM »

Wonderful. That's exactly what I want sprayed on my mango trees.

I was told a few years ago that just cutting off the affected material about 30 inches or so should solve the problem. Then you have to make sure to sterilize the cutting tool between each cut. I can't remember exactly with what but I think it was bleach.

It's very easy for it to spread in a nursery or a grove because many times the people doing the pruning will not know what to look for and can easily transfer it from tree to tree with each cut. Another easy way for a nursery to spread it is when they collect budwood for grafting. They could be grafting with budwood that has malformation because without the flowers it is more difficult to spot it.

In general i recommend people stay away from the organophosphates sprays because they tend to be the most dangerous of chemicals to humans. So if you have another choice of chemical use the other option.
Oscar

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Yikes! Looks like malformation can live in pretty harsh conditions..

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:36:30 AM »
Well, thinking about it, i have some good environment for the develop of the patology. Overhead watering is said to wash away the spider mites, but my plant doesn't get rain over it for months, because of the cover. Also, my long stop of the vegetative growt must be somewhat realted, because they say that spider mites easily damage vegetative buds that don't grow for too long.
Now my problem is: is there any chance tha i can eradicate it? Spider mites are easy to deal with (i already have the products wich are necessary) but i'm more worried about fusarium, wich seems to live inside the host and is hard to reach.

(As side note is interesting to notice that in the log they suggest, to alleviate the malformation, a fertilizer HIGH in nitrogen)
Italian fruit forum

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »
The information on the web is very hard to decipher.. It seems like the bacteria lives in the foliage of the tree and then "blooms" in the inflos.. It sounds like the only control is to cut back a good distance and try to eliminate it that way (or at least for the following year).  In discussion with Murahilin we were trying to find reference to where the bacterium actually lives, in the cadmium? or just vegetative/bloom area??

I myself have seen it first person and it looked identical to the photo above.  On the web there are numerous photos that are really horrifying, with cauliflowery brown deformed panicles.

On the bright side it has been around for over a century yet hasnt wiped out mango production, so I guess there is hope..

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »
I myself have seen it first person and it looked identical to the photo above. 

Any other reason this can happen to a flower spike?
I occasionally get something that looks similar, or one side of the flower spike is normal and the other is dwarfed, making it curve  etc.  But then leaves and other spikes are normal.  I was hoping it was "only" anthracnose, since mine turn black quickly.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 08:46:32 PM »
I understand it as it follows:
Fusarium lives around the plant in every environment. At least as spore. Soil, leaf, twigs, buds. There are also many species and varieties of fusarium yet to describe. Anyway, it can't enter in the mango by itself. Spider mites provides the microdamage necessary to let the fusarium enter in the plant, wich lately leads to damaged growt because the ormonal imbalance.
So you can do two things: treat the spider mites, or treat the fusarium.
I haven't understood yet why they seems to suggest to cut the branches: this could give a relief, but won't eradicate the disease. 
On that site they suggest mainly treatment for spider mites (i checked some of the products suggested for treatment). I'm guessing I'm going with these before starting to prune, and i'lll see how this patology will go. Even because, at first sight, fusarium isn't easy to treat.
(I also have had antrachnose few weeks ago but it went away with a little copper, so i tought this malformation was cold and antrachnose related)
Italian fruit forum

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
What's the best method to sterilize your equipment to prevent potential spread?  Alcohol, peroxide, or bleach?  I suspect bleach will make your equipment rust.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »
hi,
this link can, you be helpful:

www.horticultureworld.net/mango-india.htm

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
What's the best method to sterilize your equipment to prevent potential spread?  Alcohol, peroxide, or bleach?  I suspect bleach will make your equipment rust.

When i need razors to graft cactuses i always use alcool. It has the side effect of removing any oily substance on the blade (sometimes razor blades have some oil on them to keep them shiny), and sometimes this can lead to rust. Anyway, while alcool isn't very good for sterilizing something, you also don't need an extreme sterilization, because the entire surface of the plant is covered with bacteria, and blades become infected (and potentially dangerous) just after they touch the plant, before they do the cut; all you need is to remove the biggest part of bacteria from  a blade wich has just touched the infected part of the plant; total sterilization isn't worth the effort, in my opinion (and the plant isn't a free lunch for bacteria, it has its own way to react to infections).   
Italian fruit forum

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
Very interesting.  Does anyone have any trees in Florida with these symptoms?
Adiel

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:36 PM »
It affects vegetative growth also, not just the blooms.  Balls of short branches form.  There is a lot of mango malformation here in Florida.
Har

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »
Har, thanks for your input.  Once the tree has the disease, can it be removed with a spray?  If it requires cutting the affected area, will that remove the disease from the plant or is this something like "citrus greening" that once the tree has it, it cannot be removed?

Thanks
Adiel

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
If it was spread in infected graftwood, the entire tree is affected. 

If it was spread by pruning or bird toenail (?) or whatever, then individual branches are affected and can be pruned off.   

Most sprays would only reduce infective capacity on the surface.  I haven't looked into whether any systemic bactericides / fungicides would be affective against the internalized disease organisms. 

Some trees manage to "outgrow" infected spots, but I would surely consider them suspect as continuing hosts.
Har

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
I just found a book on Mango Malformation (Published January 6, 2011):

Adiel