Author Topic: JUNGLESOP- who’s growing it and care/germination advice  (Read 3949 times)

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
JUNGLESOP- who’s growing it and care/germination advice
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
Trade wind fruits have junglesop seeds available at 8 dollars each!
Took my chances and got one, hopefully it doesn’t freeze in the mail. Who is growing this? How long until it fruits? I’ve read it could take up to 20 years. Germination tips? Experiences and thoughts share below!
Also got wild papaya

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: JUNGLESOP- who’s growing it and care/germination advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
You should have bought from 'ForesthouseCameroon'. They charge only 2$ each!!

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »
I am in no way an expert on the care and maintenance of Junglesop (Adam would be the expert in that category), but in my experience the seeds germinate faster than other species in Annonaceae, sending a very long and brittle (breakable) base root. I accidentally kicked a pot over and the root snapped and the seed died. Best bet would be a very long, but also not very wide pot with well draining soil and a warm environment.

Did read online somewhere that researchers have planted trees that went over two decades without producing fruit. The dream would be to start your own seedlings to a considerable size and somehow obtain scions of one of the better varieties and get your graft on.
Jackson

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:13:41 PM »
I've got them to sprout fairly well, but suspect it has more to do with seed quality then me.  I soak them for 24 hours, then plant.  If the seed breaks off eventually I exposed the very top of the root and it eventually sends up a shoot.

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:49:16 PM »
Are these male female trees or self pollinating?

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 12:17:45 AM »
Hi, thanks for this I’m looking into it because I need more!

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:38 AM »
Use the search tool and look up the species. There are past threads that you can dig up that have useful info on junglesop from other forum members.
Anisha

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
Use the search tool and look up the species. There are past threads that you can dig up that have useful info on junglesop from other forum members.
LOL think I’ve looked at just about every page about junglesop on the internet including all the threads about it and still, I have dozens of questions, the number one being:
 IS JUNGLESOP MALE/FEMALE OR BISEXUAL???
Thanks for the info everyone, I really do appreciate it, I still lots to learn about this mysterious species!

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »

Do you know how to get in touch with them? I emailed a couple months months ago and didn't get a reply.
-Josh

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »

Do you know how to get in touch with them? I emailed a couple months months ago and didn't get a reply.

I also tried to get in touch with them. They aren’t answering right now. There is another vendor from that area that is answering all of my emails very quickly. fermamo2002@yahoo.co.uk

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:56:15 AM »

I also tried to get in touch with them. They aren’t answering right now. There is another vendor from that area that is answering all of my emails very quickly. fermamo2002@yahoo.co.uk

I just sent them an email. Thanks!

-Josh

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »
They spit out a large taproot that becomes tuberous and stores energy. There is very little lateral feeder root branching early on. Sometimes they will shoot and die back but leave the roots alone. They will shoot up another sprout eventually. This whole process takes months. I would keep some sort of humidity tent over it and keep it out of full sun when small. I have had good luck with Trade Winds Junglesop seeds in the past. I just planted three more that looked decently fresh and ordered 4 more that haven't got here yet.
-Josh

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »
They spit out a large taproot that becomes tuberous and stores energy. There is very little lateral feeder root branching early on. Sometimes they will shoot and die back but leave the roots alone. They will shoot up another sprout eventually. This whole process takes months. I would keep some sort of humidity tent over it and keep it out of full sun when small. I have had good luck with Trade Winds Junglesop seeds in the past. I just planted three more that looked decently fresh and ordered 4 more that haven't got here yet.

Hey Josh, I ordered some last week as well. Do you do a GA3 soak with these to pre-germinate, or do you plant them directly as-is?
- Mark

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
I just planted them directly. They haven't come up yet and I don't want to dig around to check for germination. The ones I bought 9/2016 were slightly sprouted and I gave them a little dip in mycorrhizae inoculant. I think these germinate readily. It is the shoot that takes it's time.
-Josh

Cort

• 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:41 PM »

Finally germinated after planting 12/30/17
Definitely took a while!

What’s the typical time for these to sprout leaves from seeds?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »

Hey Josh, I ordered some last week as well. Do you do a GA3 soak with these to pre-germinate, or do you plant them directly as-is?
GA3 not necessary to germinate. They often sprout in the mail. Very easy to germinate. Just make sure to use a tall pot as they have long tap root they put down first.
Oscar

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 06:13:56 PM »
How is everyone’s junglesops doing?
I have had a few that have been sending out shoots but seem to die back. Looks like they finally have enough energy to produce leaves after 8 months.