Author Topic: Dragon Fruit Set  (Read 2189 times)

tqn626

• San Gabriel, CA
    • View Profile
Dragon Fruit Set
« on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »
I have a Purple haze dragon fruit vine that been flowering constantly over the summer to fall. None of the fruit set. Does it need a cross-pollinator or any tips for helping the fruit set? It currently being watered by a drip irrigation system also if that a problem.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit Set
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:42:49 PM »
If it is large in size and flowered well but didn’t set any fruit, it’s pretty safe to say it needs to be cross pollinated. Sometimes humidity levels can affect the level of receptiveness or viability of the female/male parts. I recommend planting S-8(Sugar Dragon) as a cross pollinator because it flowers profusely and can set multiple crops. My vine set three rounds of fruit and still has a bunch of flowers, which probably won’t set fruit because it’s getting too late in the season.

Simon

tqn626

• San Gabriel, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:53:29 AM »
Hmm, I will try that out.

Thanks for the advice

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:11 AM »
I have a Purple haze dragon fruit vine that been flowering constantly over the summer to fall. None of the fruit set. Does it need a cross-pollinator or any tips for helping the fruit set? It currently being watered by a drip irrigation system also if that a problem.

Purple haze was developed by Paul Thomson.  Paul named his seedlings S1-S9.  Purple haze is aka S5.  This variety is not self-fertile and required cross pollination.  I’be told use a non-S variety will yield better results.  The reason is many of the S series shared the genetic of the parents. 
Df doesn’t need much water.  Be cautious of overwatering.  Too much water will also cause fruit and flower bud drops.

S1=Physical Graffiti
S2=cosmic Charlie
S3=Delight
S5=purple haze
S9= dark star
S8=sugar dragon

tqn626

• San Gabriel, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »

Purple haze was developed by Paul Thomson.  Paul named his seedlings S1-S9.  Purple haze is aka S5.  This variety is not self-fertile and required cross pollination.  I’be told use a non-S variety will yield better results.  The reason is many of the S series shared the genetic of the parents. 
Df doesn’t need much water.  Be cautious of overwatering.  Too much water will also cause fruit and flower bud drops.

S1=Physical Graffiti
S2=cosmic Charlie
S3=Delight
S5=purple haze
S9= dark star
S8=sugar dragon

What variety would you recommend. I thought i made sure to see if it was self pollinating  :-\. I have a Rixford and halley comet at another place. I thnk i have a natural mystic somewhere too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:49:17 PM by tqn626 »

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
The sugar dragon is a good one to have it's a high producer and self-fertile

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 02:31:54 AM »

S1=Physical Graffiti
S2=cosmic Charlie
S3=Delight
S5=purple haze
S9= dark star
S8=sugar dragon

What variety would you recommend. I thought i made sure to see if it was self pollinating  :-\. I have a Rixford and halley comet at another place. I thnk i have a natural mystic somewhere too.

Rixford is one of the parent plant for nearly all ‘S’ series df.  Haley’s Comet Or natural mystic are probably options.  Use whatever freshest pollen available.  You should use Rixford if you have it.  Just want to point out which pollens will yield better results.  I have a LaVerne Red variety and it took me 3 years to find the right polllen.