Author Topic: Canistel pollination  (Read 8230 times)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Canistel pollination
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »
My Bruce canistel tree, which was heavily loaded with flower buds, is now in the middle of blooming, if you can call it blooming. Some buds form greenish-white petals that never fully open and eventually drop off. Others form a single thin rod that excretes a rich nectar that smells like honey. No bees are anywhere near the plant although ants are crawling all around it.

Anyway, I was wondering what these two forms of flower were, how they get pollinated, and what a canistel fruit looks like when it's just begun to set (meaning the way to tell that pollination was successful). Thanks in advance.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel pollination
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
Can anyone help? I know a fair number of people here are growing it...

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:35:15 AM »
Can anyone help? I know a fair number of people here are growing it...

My Fairchild #2 bloomed and set fruit the first two years in the ground spring this year it bloomed more than ever and all of the blooms fell off.

It's blooming again. What I "think" you're seeing is the thin rod after the "petals" have fallen off. My tree has ants on it and most likely have  helped pollinate it. My green sapote has the same type of flowers and I'm not sure if either are going to set fruit this year.

This is the first year I have not seen bees around even though I keep a flowering "bee habitat" under the eaves of my house. My Geffner atemoya, mango and carambola have set a record number of fruit this year... even my persimmon set fruit so it may just be a waiting game for the others to mature some more.

Regards,

Gary

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
I think you're right. There are ants all over though I think they're too small to pollinate anything. I guess I'll just try to be patient and see what happens.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
I have lots of fruit set on my fairchild #2 canistel. Having lots of ants on the tree helps with the pollination.
Alexi

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:04:46 AM »
I have lots of fruit set on my fairchild #2 canistel. Having lots of ants on the tree helps with the pollination.

That's odd. Mine is about 9' tall, VERY healthy and every year the crop set decreased. How old / tall is yours?
Regards,

Gary

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
Do you fertilize it?

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 03:53:54 PM »
Do you fertilize it?

Sure, but in moderation... it grows nicely  blooms by the thousands but has set no fruit.
Regards,

Gary

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »

That's odd. Mine is about 9' tall, VERY healthy and every year the crop set decreased. How old / tall is yours?

Mine is about the same height as yours. It is approximately 3 years old.
Alexi

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »
have had mine for 3 years. It is a beautiful and healthy tree but so far it has not see any fruit. Its runway is getting shorter by the day. I bought it to increase variety without having tasted the fruit beforehand . Tried it at the fruit and spice park and while I liked it I did not love it. So unless it starts producing soon it is going to the mulch pile....

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
have had mine for 3 years. It is a beautiful and healthy tree but so far it has not see any fruit. Its runway is getting shorter by the day. I bought it to increase variety without having tasted the fruit beforehand . Tried it at the fruit and spice park and while I liked it I did not love it. So unless it starts producing soon it is going to the mulch pile....

Funny, I'm just the opposite, I can eat canistel till I'm green in the face :-) I'd wait for a long time for mine to fruit in order to avoid hunting fruit down!
Regards,

Gary

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
Here is my 3 years old canistel. Still no production whatsoever...

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
here it is

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:34:26 AM »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
My Ross Sapote of 2.5+ years of age is flowering for the second time in the last 6 months.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »
My Ross Sapote of 2.5+ years of age is flowering for the second time in the last 6 months.

I had a staggered flowering on my Ross Sapote this year.  The second crop, on the tree now, has not sized up to usual standards.  Maybe the cooler wet weather is to blame?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »

I had a staggered flowering on my Ross Sapote this year.  The second crop, on the tree now, has not sized up to usual standards.  Maybe the cooler wet weather is to blame?

Funny you mention size of the fruit.  The current Trompo crop at Excalibur all seem to be staying runt size and almost have full golden color.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
I have had no problem with canistel fruit size......my Bruce canistel is producing in its usual championship fashion.  Only Ross Sapote seems to have the sizing issue at my house and it was only with the second part of the bloom/fruit set.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
hopefully this time it works. Here is my canistel

TropicalFruitNut

• Ft Lauderdale tropical fruit nut
    • Fort Lauderdale,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »
I have noticed the same thing on my 9641 Canistel here in south Florida. The tree has been in the ground one year, is grafted, and has about two dozen blossoms on the 6 foot tree. The light green buds with a little flower sticking out (about 20% of the group) have been partially open for several days. After not opening fully, I began to suspect that perhaps they will not open further. With my horsehair pollinating brush I was able to get noticeable pollen out of these flowery buds. I think they are male and the ones with little anthers (?) sticking out are female and will not open. Can anyone confirm this ? I can't find confirmation of the internet.
I am growing Lychee, Anonas, Dragon fruit, Mulberry, White Sapote, Canistel, Avocado, etc in my new yard.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 11:49:21 PM »
I have my 6 foot tall canistel in a 15 gallon container and has set about 7 nice fruit, I never hand pollinated it, I think you might need to keep it watered better. My canistel that has been in the ground for 5 years and struggles because the soil drains too well, this last year I started to heavily mulch and it is flowering nicely right now.

TropicalFruitNut

• Ft Lauderdale tropical fruit nut
    • Fort Lauderdale,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
Hi - this topic is almost 4 years old, but I just saw it today. I noticed the same 2 different types of blossoms on my Canistel : most have a fruit-shaped blossom with a pistil sticking out which i think is the female blossom. A few blossoms are the light green flower type which seem to have pollen in them (so they are the male blossoms). I am hoping for my first fruit this year on my 4 year-old 9641 as I now have over 75 blossoms. Since this fruit comes from Central America where the two seasons are rainy and dry, I thought that this fruit is NOT restricted to springtime-only blossoms and I was right. We had 4 weeks of continuous rain here in Ft. Lauderdale from early May to early June and out came new growth with lots of blossoms ! Does anyone know the history or naming of the 9641 Canistel ? Keith
I am growing Lychee, Anonas, Dragon fruit, Mulberry, White Sapote, Canistel, Avocado, etc in my new yard.

WZZM

• China
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »
My Bruce canistel tree, which was heavily loaded with flower buds, is now in the middle of blooming, if you can call it blooming. Some buds form greenish-white petals that never fully open and eventually drop off. Others form a single thin rod that excretes a rich nectar that smells like honey. No bees are anywhere near the plant although ants are crawling all around it.

Anyway, I was wondering what these two forms of flower were, how they get pollinated, and what a canistel fruit looks like when it's just begun to set (meaning the way to tell that pollination was successful). Thanks in advance.

How is your canistel doing. Have you found the pollination pattern? I have exact the same situation as you described in your post several years ago.