Author Topic: Bee magnets  (Read 4033 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Bee magnets
« on: October 15, 2019, 05:40:09 AM »
What is the bee magnet in your garden?

For me the #1 is eugenia candolleana but only untill 8 am.....thousands of bee's come for the flowers.

The #2 is icecream bean, it attracts bee's all day long, nonstop.

Before we grew these tree's we rarely saw a bee.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
Re: Bee magnets
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:19:21 AM »
I have bees year round something is always blooming, lots of native stuff mixed with flowers, my favorite is the Peruvian Apple.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:37:59 AM »
Ingas also have extrafloral glands with nectar on the leaves stem.They have them to atract ants that would protect the tree in exchange for the nectar.
I have a cherry tree with such glands too wich is unusual and its the only cherry tree that has them.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:04 AM »
I grow African Basil. Bees love it. Next spring I am going to throw in some normal basil and see if it is as good an attractant. I also have hibiscus and a dew drop bush in a pot that I thought was dead but came back from the roots in my used pot storage area. Both attract a lot of bees and wasps but nothing compared to the basil.

I also have some invasive thing I picked up called Puerto Rican mimosa which is a ground cover with these bright pinkish purple pompoms. In the mornings when I have the dogs out I see a lot of bees on these but only in the early morning.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »
My citrus brings so many bees it sounds like a jet engine above your head. Passionfruit is the same. We used to have 3 myrtle bushes out front that attracted bees by the swarm. but they stained the neighbors patio and we're in a weird spot. I live near a large orchard plant supplier, walnut, peach, and persimmon groves so there are bee boxes nearby
-Kris

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »
African blue basil hands down. It’s a sterile hybrid so produces no pollen nor seed; it focuses all its growth into producing flowers. Lots of flowers. So it flowers 24/7, 365 days a year as long as it doesn’t get frozen back. (It can’t take frost) Over time it can turn into a large bush that absolutely hums with pollinators all day long. So long as it gets direct sunlight, it produces copious amounts of nectar all day and that’s why it’s so popular with insects. Since there are no seeds it must be propagated through rooted cuttings, but they root so easily in pure water it’s never an issue. A small bush will provide you with all the cuttings and possible plants you’d ever want.

Basil downy mildew is all over Florida now, and it thrives in warm humid conditions. It pretty much makes growing regular basil varieties impossible long term. African blue basil gets it but it barely cares and just keeps trucking.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
Whatever is blooming?    Even the native chapparal is covered in bees. 
Brad Spaugh

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:19:43 AM »
Muntigia did before its removal

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
I live in a bee desert. I haven't seen one in a L-O-N-G time near my house.

Regards,

Gary

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »

Thats not a good sign
Brad Spaugh

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 04:16:14 PM »
Bees love my rainbow eucalyptus. There must be hundreds when the tree is in bloom

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
If anyone has some African blue basil shoot me a PM. I've been looking locally for a plant or cuttings but no luck.

Thanks,
-Kris

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »

As a test, find a Royal Palm Tree that has just bloomed in last 2 days and stand under it in the morning before the sun comes up in almost dark conditions and the bees will already be roaring like was mentioned of the jet engine sound if bees are present within 3 miles of your location.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I grow African Basil. Bees love it. Next spring I am going to throw in some normal basil and see if it is as good an attractant. I also have hibiscus and a dew drop bush in a pot that I thought was dead but came back from the roots in my used pot storage area. Both attract a lot of bees and wasps but nothing compared to the basil.

I also have some invasive thing I picked up called Puerto Rican mimosa which is a ground cover with these bright pinkish purple pompoms. In the mornings when I have the dogs out I see a lot of bees on these but only in the early morning.
I agree with the African Blue basil I have too many of these to count but I might add they decline and break if you let them grow forever without pruning, Ideally I let them get about 2x2 feet then prune back to 1x1 ft.   I also have the ground cover across 2 acres, the one you describe AKA Sunshine Mimosa. It is actually a Florida native plant called Mimosa Strigillosa. It is the best ground cover in my area it produces nitrogen, is pest free and I don't have to mow across 2 acres so it is a great time and money saver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5iWY1zjs7A

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 12:03:37 AM »
Surinam Cherry for sure.  When it is in bloom, it seems like the whole bush gets weighed down from so many bees. They also love a lot of ornamental palm trees. This year, my lychee tree bloomed heavily and it was covered in bees for days.  They pollinate lots of other stuff too (avocado and citrus), but those three things seem to be most popular when they are flowering.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 12:29:12 AM »
Figs... Damn bees bite through unripe figs tunneling into the barely sweet interior, followed by ants. The figs sour before they even ripen. Then the fig beetles follow. The local beeshop doesn't believe me that the bees eat the figs but I've got pictures.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 06:01:01 AM »
Figs... Damn bees bite through unripe figs tunneling into the barely sweet interior, followed by ants. The figs sour before they even ripen. Then the fig beetles follow. The local beeshop doesn't believe me that the bees eat the figs but I've got pictures.

let's see these fig eating bees

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
Gin berry.
Shane

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 05:18:50 PM »
Borage

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
Black locus #1 and Phacelia Tanacetifolia #2.They are not fruit trees thogh but both ield @ 1 ton of nectar per hectare when in season.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 02:53:25 AM »
This is the only picture I could find on short notice. This is actually the consequence of the bees biting through the fig. It starts to spoil, and then the fig beetles burrow in. The fig beetles seem to only want the ripe or overripe figs. The bees start the process, the fig beetles finish it while the bees start on another fig or honey around and get in around the beetles.

I have attached a better photo of the bees doing the same to some grapes

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 04:08:48 AM »
This is the only picture I could find on short notice. This is actually the consequence of the bees biting through the fig. It starts to spoil, and then the fig beetles burrow in. The fig beetles seem to only want the ripe or overripe figs. The bees start the process, the fig beetles finish it while the bees start on another fig or honey around and get in around the beetles.

I have attached a better photo of the bees doing the same to some grapes

Bees collect sugars from fruits only as a last resort in case they dont have another source of nectar.
Sugars from fruits are verry bad for bees health and they know it.
For instance a honey bee lifespan is @50-80 days normally ,on a normal diet of honey from nectar.
On a diet from sugars from fruits ,bees lifespan shortens to just 12 days.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
"For instance a honey bee lifespan is @50-80 days normally ,on a normal diet of honey from nectar.
On a diet from sugars from fruits ,bees lifespan shortens to just 12 days."

@SeaWalnut: Does this mean when a bee kepper Feeds his bees in winter with sugar water which is normally be done - the life time of those bees in winter is shortened so extreme?
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 12:26:13 PM »
Regardless of the cause, the bees developed a taste for figs and have spoiled several hundred figs before they were ripe. Maybe next year they'll forget about the figs...

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »
Maybe they just want water? I have bees drinking from my Bird Bath all the time.