Author Topic: Good idea to temporarily prune fruit trees to dwarf size?  (Read 731 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Good idea to temporarily prune fruit trees to dwarf size?
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:09:42 AM »
I'm new to this place. Looks like a good community and I hope to be spending lots of time here!  :D

I'll be moving around sometime soon, and I'm not sure when I'll find a home I'm sure I want to stay in long enough for a tree to reach full size. However, I really want a lychee tree and a cashew tree (yes, I know to be careful with cashew trees/fruits :)). Luckily, there's a place that sells them a few blocks from me, so I don't have to worry about mail order or anything.

I know dwarf varieties of these trees exist, but I do want to plant them eventually and have them be big full trees. Besides, I can't find a dwarf cashew tree. I'm looking at a Mauritius lychee (I like reliable, large harvests) and an unspecified cashew breed. Would keeping the trees small (say, 20 gallon pot or so, maybe 50 eventually) by pruning them make them permanently small? Do they have like a maximum lifespan or growing season or something? Would I get much fruit on a small tree?

Also, there's not space in my yard that gets full sun. I'm pretty sure most trees need that. I can probably find a space that maybe gets 8 hours of full sun. Would that be fine for a new tree (3 gallon)?

On a related note, is it realistic to expect a cashew tree to do well in the Tampa Bay area? I know they can't tolerate temperatures below 40° F and it does get that cold for about 2 weeks a year. I suppose I could cover it when it's small, but not when it's big. I might have to just keep it small enough where it can stay in a pot so I can move it indoors during those few weeks. Could I just grow both of these indoors? Do you think I would need growth lights or something for either of these options?

Looking forward to talking with you about this! :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:03:54 PM by Weboh »