Author Topic: Best Paw Paw (asimna) varieties?  (Read 6202 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Best Paw Paw (asimna) varieties?
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »
Hello all. So at my school, we may be able to put in a paw aw tree in soon, and as it's tropicalish I hoped you guys could give me some info on the best varieties and where they are available. Thanks.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Paw Paw (asimna) varieties?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
Totally TEMPERATE ZONE.

Re-direct your search to The Pawpaw Foundation  and to Kentucky State University's research farm.
Har

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »
After growing lots of different varieties since the 80's I am now only growing the Wabash variety. It has one of the best tasting fruit that I have tried. Also very vigorous grower.

http://www.petersonpawpaws.com/Wabash.php

Good Luck,

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:43:49 PM »
After growing lots of different varieties since the 80's I am now only growing the Wabash variety. It has one of the best tasting fruit that I have tried. Also very vigorous grower.

http://www.petersonpawpaws.com/Wabash.php

Good Luck,

Ed

is that wabash still holding fruits??

and guess what!  our friend in Tampa has fruits set on his A. triloba this year!!!   He hand pollinated the flowers.

I guess A. triloba can be fruited in Central FL....but we still gotta find a good variety for Central FL..or even south FL....that would be a dream come true.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »
Yep the big potted Wabash is still holding fruit! And its the only variety I have. No other varieties for cross pollination as some out of date references claim is necessary for fruit.

Ed

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »
Yep the big potted Wabash is still holding fruit! And its the only variety I have. No other varieties for cross pollination as some out of date references claim is necessary for fruit.

Ed

Could there be other trees nearby?

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
No I am just outside of the native range. Also I have searched this area over for fruit trees and all I find the folks in my area growing is figs, loquats, peaches and pears. And not many of those. Most people in my immediate area are only concerned with lawns and landscape plants.

Ed

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »

Ed

Could there be other trees nearby?

After many years of my pawpaw tree taunting me with flowers but no fruit set despite manual pollination-- and several years of manually cross-pollinating it with the only 2 other blooming-size trees I know of in Colorado, I suddenly have fruit set this year without cross-pollination.  I'm beginning to think Ed may be right that some/most trees are at least somewhat self-compatible. 

Last year I only got fruit to set on cross-pollinated flowers, though they all fell off in a wind storm.  This year I have dozens of fruit set with only self-pollination so far.  Hopefully they'll hold on and I'll finally get to taste fruit this year!

Kevin

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
P.S.  You may want to find an early-ripening pawpaw variety to ensure the fruit ripens for you before fall freezes come-- you (like me) are on the colder end of pawpaw's range and a late-ripening variety may not be the best choice.  I don't know if Wabash is considered early or late variety, but there are many (supposedly) good early-ripening varieties available such as "NC-1", "Pennsylvania Golden" and "Allegheny".

Kevin

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
This may sound off topic.  It's not my intention to hijack the thread but can you dig wild seedlings and expect any kind of reasonable tasting fruit? By my Aunt's place there's a grove of Paw paws.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
I agree with Kevin. I think they go through a juvenile stage and as they get older they become more self fertile.

I don't recommend digging plants from the wild. A 3 inch seedling can have a 9 to 12 inch tap root. If possible just gather seeds and plant them.

Ed

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
Thank you all for your advice. I think i'll go for just one wabash.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk