Author Topic: Holiday vs. Wurtz vs. Gwen vs. other dwarf cados  (Read 17207 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Holiday vs. Wurtz vs. Gwen vs. other dwarf cados
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
So the question i would like to ask is what do you guys think would be the best avocado variety to attempt to grow in containers? I have heard of holiday, wurtz, and gwen as candidates, but the comparisons between holiday and wurtz always vary as to which one is smaller, and i have not seen a comparison between gwen and any others. I have also heard that there are other better varieties out there? and to add to my confusion, I had always read that wurtz was a horrible tasting cado, but then i saw somewhere that wurtz is one of the best? someone please help me through this much so i can get an avo tree next year  :).

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:25:04 AM by plantlover13 »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday vs. Wurtz vs. Glen vs. other dwarf cados
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
If I had to choose between 'Wurtz,' 'Holiday,' and 'Glen,' I'd choose 'Wurtz,' because:

It's the one I have more reliable information of the three. Although, many other factors are in play, like location, soil type, etc.

Some more information on the 'Wurtz' can be found here: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4915.350

As far as I know, 'Holiday' seems to be a fine/solid avocado in California, but it's still being field tested here in S. Florida.

And as far as the 'Glen' goes, I'm sorry to say that I didn't even know that it existed, but I'm interested in knowing more about it.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
plantlover13....you probably mean Gwen Avocado, not Glen.

There is description of each of these 3 dwarf avocados at the Flowerdale Nurseries (Santa Ana, CA) website:
http://flowerdalenurseries.blogspot.com/2011/09/fruit-tree-sportlight-dwarf-avocado.html

Summary of the dwarf avocados from Flowerdale's point of view:
Wurtz (aka Little Cado; originated in Encinitas, CA) is the best avocado to grow in containers.  Flavor average to good.
Holiday (seedling of Reed) can be grown in LARGE containers...supposedly one of the best tasting dwarf avocados.
Gwen (dwarf Hass; originated in Riverside, CA) is the most productive of the dwarf avocados.  This variety is best suited for growing in the ground.

Hope this helps.

Warren
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:39:47 AM by wslau »
Warren

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
plantlover13....you probably mean Gwen Avocado, not Glen.

There is description of each of these 3 dwarf avocados at the Flowerdale Nurseries (Santa Ana, CA) website:
http://flowerdalenurseries.blogspot.com/2011/09/fruit-tree-sportlight-dwarf-avocado.html

Summary of the dwarf avocados from Flowerdale's point of view:
Wurtz (aka Little Cado; originated in Encinitas, CA) is the best avocado to grow in containers.  Flavor average to good.
Holiday (seedling of Reed) can be grown in LARGE containers...supposedly one of the best tasting dwarf avocados.
Gwen (dwarf Hass; originated in Riverside, CA) is the most productive of the dwarf avocados.  This variety is best suited for growing in the ground.

Hope this helps.

Warren

Yes, i meant gwen, sorry  :-[ .

thanks for the info.

Now i read about another candidate. How does the "day" avocado fit into all of this? is it any good?

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday vs. Wurtz vs. Gwen vs. other dwarf cados
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
I think the Day is the best Florida grown avo I have tasted yet.  Wurtz is also in the top 5 for me.  The Day seems to be a more vigorous tree, but definitely manageable.  (I doubt a Day is small greenhouse manageable)  Wurtz seems to be a much slower grower.

Both have a creamy texture and are not watery.  From what I have read and been told, both are Guatemalan avos. 
JC

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
Prefacing my statement... I have grown a Gwen (20 years old) and two Holidays. I would grow a Holiday in a container for the following reasons: 1. Holiday is a large/high quality fruit. It is a slow-grower that is bushy, and does not get over 7-8 feet (5 yrs). 2. Wurtz has a reputation as only being a "fair" tasting avocado. 3. Gwen is more like a semi-dwarf. Mine is around 10-12 feet tall. It is an excellent fruit, however.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
Check out Hazzard and Rincon.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
Do you have access to hazard, rain on and Pinkerton?
Gwen is not a dwarf here.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
Now that I know that you meant 'Gwen' avocado, this would be my pick out of the three that you've listed.

In the best of all worlds, an avocado cocktail tree with all three varieties would probably be the best solution.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

I hope to.  What is "rain on"?  Nickname for Rincon?

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
Now that I know that you meant 'Gwen' avocado, this would be my pick out of the three that you've listed.

In the best of all worlds, an avocado cocktail tree with all three varieties would probably be the best solution.

I wish  ;D.

still in the realms of possibility, though. I am planning to start out a couple of avacado pits soon, maybe some grafting next year?

assuming no grafting though, all of these choices still seem completely equal. can anyone help break the tie?

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »
So far my Little Cado (Wurtz) has done the best in a large container on my patio.
I also have a Bacon in a container that is doing well, but it's going in the ground next spring.
For some reason I've had bad luck with the Holiday trees I've put in containers - in the ground too for that matter.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

I hope to.  What is "rain on"?  Nickname for Rincon?

It's an iPad autocorrect nickname for rincon. Pinkerton bears super heavy crops, but in some areas ripens unevenly from top to bottom, so you have to eat them top half one day other half a day or two later.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
any updates from members growing dwarf avocados in pots?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
any updates from members growing dwarf avocados in pots?

The Wurtz (Little Cado) is still my first choice - at least on my back patio.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk