Author Topic: Joey avocado budwood  (Read 5644 times)

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
Joey avocado budwood
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:49:06 PM »
Does anyone in the central Florida area growing a joey avocado? I purchased a tree 4 years ago and found out this summer that it is not a Joey. >:(  So now I have a Mexicoa that I have to top work and graft.

Thanks, Joe.

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Joey avocado budwood
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »
i have a joey in jefferson county.  the label says joey, but i haven't had fruit off of it yet, so i can't swear the label is accurate.  i could mail you some budwood.  send me your snailmail address in a personal message and instructions on how to prepare/ cut the budwood.
treefrog land and cattle company

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Does anyone in the central Florida area growing a joey avocado? I purchased a tree 4 years ago and found out this summer that it is not a Joey. >:(  So now I have a Mexicoa that I have to top work and graft.

Thanks, Joe.
FYI They look very similar
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:19:22 AM »
I would think twice about dumping that Mexicola.  Based on my initial tastes and what I've read I'd take the Mexicola over the Joey any day. Here's a pic of one of my Joey's:

Ever noticed how all you see are jazzy marketing write ups by nurseries but few have tasted what I call the "Tex-Mex" avocados?  Wilma, Joey, Fantastic, Brazos Belle et al.  One Texas grower said Wilma tasted like grass.  :D  He hates it and only uses it for rootstock.

Funny but I'm starting a Joey seed with the intent to graph Mexicola or Stewart to it.  BTW, once old in age, Mexicola has taken temps down into the single digits, this passed on to me by a seasoned tropical fruit grower in Texas who witnessed it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:29:22 AM by Mark in Texas »

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
I would think twice about dumping that Mexicola.  Based on my initial tastes and what I've read I'd take the Mexicola over the Joey any day. Here's a pic of one of my Joey's:

Ever noticed how all you see are jazzy marketing write ups by nurseries but few have tasted what I call the "Tex-Mex" avocados?  Wilma, Joey, Fantastic, Brazos Belle et al.  One Texas grower said Wilma tasted like grass.  :D  He hates it and only uses it for rootstock.

Funny but I'm starting a Joey seed with the intent to graph Mexicola or Stewart to it.  BTW, once old in age, Mexicola has taken temps down into the single digits, this passed on to me by a seasoned tropical fruit grower in Texas who witnessed it.

What time of season does your Joey come in at. Mine start at late June to early August, that's why Carlos I thought it was a Mexicola after seeing your post awhile back.

Joe.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:04:01 AM »

What time of season does your Joey come in at. Mine start at late June to early August, that's why Carlos I thought it was a Mexicola after seeing your post awhile back.

Joe.

I planted it outside this spring and it was about June that I got fruit. Left 2 on, one dropped off which was the "best" tasting.  The other one that I pulled was inedible. Both were black. It blooms very early and apparently produces early too.  Skin is paper thin and you can see it has a big seed. 

Recommend you talk to Alex at Tropical Acres Farms.  He has a Joey and asked me how they taste.  That was before mine were ripe.  Like I said, you read a lot of hype but very few if any reviews on the quality.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
I have a Joey tree that had a couple dozen fruit on it this year. Most of them ripened in May. The fruit were pretty small and almost all of them had issues with uneven ripening.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
I would think twice about dumping that Mexicola.  Based on my initial tastes and what I've read I'd take the Mexicola over the Joey any day.

Mark,

Speaking of both hot and cold, which of your outdoor avocados takes the heat the best (and what would you estimate the ballpark max temp to be) and which of your outdoor avocados takes the cold the best (and what would you estimate the ballpark min temp to be).
- Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

Mark,

Speaking of both hot and cold, which of your outdoor avocados takes the heat the best (and what would you estimate the ballpark max temp to be) and which of your outdoor avocados takes the cold the best (and what would you estimate the ballpark min temp to be).

Only have the Joey outdoors.  We hit a heat wave about 3 weeks ago and what's weird, the exposed young trunk and branches are OK.  Leaves got sunburned really bad.  BUT, and this is a big BUT, the stress is being caused by the heat. very low RH, too much of my super hard well water and no rain for at least 2 months.  It all adds up.  Haven't put it thru cold yet because I grow mostly Guat. types like Reed, Gwen, Sharwil, Oro Negro (hybrid) in a greenhouse.

Don't you guys have a nursery pushing some super duper "new" avocado that's said to be bullet proof?  Forgot the name.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
I have a Joey tree that had a couple dozen fruit on it this year. Most of them ripened in May. The fruit were pretty small and almost all of them had issues with uneven ripening.

How was the taste?  Can I assume the uneven ripening was because of the neck comes first, body last, kind of thing?

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »

Only have the Joey outdoors.  We hit a heat wave about 3 weeks ago and what's weird, the exposed young trunk and branches are OK.  Leaves got sunburned really bad.  BUT, and this is a big BUT, the stress is being caused by the heat. very low RH, too much of my super hard well water and no rain for at least 2 months.  It all adds up.  Haven't put it thru cold yet because I grow mostly Guat. types like Reed, Gwen, Sharwil, Oro Negro (hybrid) in a greenhouse.

Don't you guys have a nursery pushing some super duper "new" avocado that's said to be bullet proof?  Forgot the name.

Cool thanks for the info!

Yeah, the new avocado is actually a really old one. It is call the Aravaipa Avocado. The mother tree was a seedling planted in Aravaipa Canyon on a homestead out in Superior (east of Phoenix). And it has been alive since the late 1800s (reportedly)! So one of the local nurseries (Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees) has been grafting budwood onto rootstock (not sure what they are using for the rootstock). But it is reportedly taking the heat with very little burn damage. If I can get my hands on one I will. I am going up there in a couple of weeks and if they don't have any then, then I will try in the spring.
- Mark

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »

How was the taste?  Can I assume the uneven ripening was because of the neck comes first, body last, kind of thing?
I'm cutting my Joey down, not worth growing taste wise in my climate, very small fruit. Smaller than some of the mexicolas.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »

Taste was average at best. I'll see what the tree does next year but I think I only had 1 or 2 fruits ripen properly. There wasn't any pattern to how they ripened either. They generally just didn't soften up right, even when allowed to fall from the tree.

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »

I had loads of fruit, but like yours, had issues with uneven ripening. Mine looked just like yours.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:26:07 PM by MangoMan2 »