Author Topic: Bark on mango trees stripped  (Read 1071 times)

waynea

• florida
    • View Profile
Bark on mango trees stripped
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Has anyone had the bark on their mango trees stripped by..... I assume some creature? I have 2 mango seedlings that have been stripped all the way around the tree to about 3 foot high. I tried searching for answers on the forum but found none. Help, please! Maybe I can prevent this from happening again.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Bark on mango trees stripped
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:00 PM »
I have had rabbits do a number close to that on some of my plants when they are smaller .  Killed off a couple and I was able to nurse one back.

That plant looks like a goner unless the back was not removed all the way around.  If you want to save it you may want to try bridge grafting across that damaged sectio.  See video below, found this on youtube from a quick search for bridge graft.

I haven't done this myself but hopefully someone here who has my share their experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11XKqzI_-PM

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
I've also had rabbits take bites out of mango tree trunks. As far as preventing it from happening again, I've resorted to putting a barrier between the trees and potential bark biters. So far it's worked well.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
The top is taking nutrients from the roots.
The roots are not getting sugar from the top, due to missing barks.
The roots will die soon.
Cut the top now to save the roots.
Maybe they still have enough sugar to push new shoots.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:08 AM »
rabbits wouldn't work on a tree 3 feet up. It looks like a  buck deer rub to me, you can see where the rub met a side branch. Did another side branch come off as seen on the ground? They will sometimes  paw the ground and urinate. It is a territory marking behavior demonnstrating dominance and early in the year rubbing off velvet from antlers. Sometimes you will see it on multiple trees in the woods along deer trails showing their habitual trails. Check for deer tracks after a rain. A large cage should help in the future, or a huntinng license in season.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »
Its too tall to be from rabbits.The tree still has enough bark left to recover but protect it.Cut pet bottles and wrap the plastic in a spiral around the trunk of the tree,not too tight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk