Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 71456 times)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:12 AM »
Pakistani is good, but you should try and pick as much as you can as they become ripe because in my experience, they will stain.

Oh no!! Can people with this variety kindly confirm? When I did my homework, Pakistani is listed as "non staining". Thanks!

Even if you pick and let not one berry fall the bird crap becomes bright purple in mulberry season ;D
My feet are stained black in the season and I dont mind he he. A mulberry will out produce what you eat even with neglect I gorge till tummy ache every year collect container loads and dont make even a tiny dent in what a large tree produces! And we have over many trees with boles at least as thick as my waist.
Gross as it is the best berries come from a tree growing near our french drain ha ha ha.

Im going to try make more stuff this year instead of just freezing for smoothies I wanna make jam, some pies to freeze and after Adams awesome Jabo leather post Im inspired to make deep purple mulberry leather, I think it will be tasty ;D

Any other novel ways to deal with the inevitable glut of mulberries that is over all too soon?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:34:11 AM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
The only one I have is the Tice.  I can highly recommend it.  Super sweet and good tasting.

Also, to get the stain off your skin use lemon juice. It washes right off. 

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
Any other novel ways to deal with the inevitable glut of mulberries that is over all too soon?

Please send them my way. That 14" tall seedling in my garden is taking her time :)
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2015, 07:32:28 PM »
The only one I have is the Tice.  I can highly recommend it.  Super sweet and good tasting.

Tice definitely has the best flavor of all the purple/black varieties i have eaten.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 02:27:28 AM »

Tice definitely has the best flavor of all the purple/black varieties i have eaten.

Better than the Sweet/Acidic Black Persians, Black Beauties, Noir De Spains?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »
Has anyone found a good place to order more rare mulberries online,  stuff besides the common weeping, persian, and pakistan? 

This place has a contorted mullberry, Which I've never heard of , but looks cool.  https://www.onegreenworld.com/Mulberry/356/   ....but would good to see a site with a bigger variety. 

Also found this list after a quick search    https://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/product-category/fruit-trees/mulberry/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:37:13 PM by goosteen »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
feels like it.   ::)

Happy belated brah!  :P

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2015, 12:57:06 AM »
These are heavily planted, in my city, for shade, with no particular care given as to the variety, or whether it is fruitful. They are typically pollarded, sometimes, even twice a year.

I don't have any firm figures but believe that the wood has to be several years old, in order to be productive. If you prune, the new growth on a large tree will be useless, but little clones wills be fruitful, on account of their age.

I have seen all different kinds, except for the long, Pakistan one, which seems to be more expensive.

I have just learned of a pink one and will harvest some, tomorrow. There is a pink one, growing in a yard, then, within eyeshot, out of a crack in a parking lot. I can image where it came from, as they grow spontaneously, along fences, and my drip line.

I felt that the under-ripe black ones had a pleasant tartness to them, when still a little bit red-colored.. The older ones , which stain, were somewhat vegetable-tasting and bland. They were good in sour-flavored jello, baked with added sugar, and might benefit from some lemon juice.

I am curious as to what effect cross pollination may have, if from the fruitless male. They seem to have very long inflorescences, full of pollen. I have not created a successful graft.

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:05 AM »
Anyone doing anything interesting with their Mulberry tree(s) - espalier, stepover?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
Anyone doing anything interesting with their Mulberry tree(s) - espalier, stepover?
Morus alba fruits on new growth and the new growths are often multiple feet.

I used to do this thing called stump it back to 2ft several times a year before it got too big and I took it out. Actually I didn't like the taste of it.

I'm not sure if there's a way to slow it down enough to espalier.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
the espaliered version I saw (from Australia) was hacked to a stump and then the new growth was espaliered up
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
Hey y'all. I tried a few at Exotica recently.

Oscar's (some relative of persian black), was ok, some nice tartness but nothing special.

White Pakistan tasted like sweet corn to me. Interesting but wouldn't seek it out.

Himilayan was very sweet. Special but not as good as...

my own Pakistani (regular black kind). Been eating it for a couple weeks now and loving it. My favorite so far.
Shane

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2015, 12:22:42 AM »
Espalier style would be difficult to maintain.

The best route in such cases would be to treat it like a grape vine and make a # shape out of it--pruning all end wood for new growth on the tips and shoots.  It will likely get too thick to handle that way over time though.

I prefer the candle stick approach and cut each new growth back to 3 buds with a deep pruning, or even a topping out every 5 years.  Mulberries are beastly growers.  :)

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:17 AM »
I am curious whether it's possible to identify mulberry varieties solely by their leaf shape?

Currently got 3 different kinds of mulberry cuttings growing in pots, all of them with different leaf shapes and more or less uncertain origin. Do I have to wait until they fruit? Or can leaf shape help too?  :P

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »
Top left: clueless
Top right: black short from a neighbor
Bottom left: pakistani
Bottom right: most likely white

Edited to add: Purdue University documentation on red vs white mulberry
https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR_237.pdf

Leaves occur in three general shapes in both species – entire, mitten (single lobed), and three-lobed. Red mulberry leaves (Figure 1) are usually larger (4-10 inches) than white (3-4 inches) (Figure 2). Red mulberry has dull, dark green leaves that are scabrous (rough) on top and usually lightly hairy beneath. Minor veins are numerous and obvious. Its margins are usually finely serrate when compared to those of white mulberry (Figure 3).

White mulberry leaves are bright green (usually) and shiny above (usually). If any hairs are present, they occur on the main veins beneath. The margins usually have larger, more rounded teeth. The main veins underneath are very prominent compared to those of red mulberry (Figure 4)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:54:19 PM by funlul »

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »
i've a little grafted tree of Morus Nigra var. della Regina ( Queen's) imported from Italy but it's still just some months old.
This variety is famous in south Italy for its  sweet and tart pulpy berries that stain anything will come in touch with them :-)
I hope it will grow healthy and bear fruits even here in tropical climate  ;)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:02:16 AM by Lory »
Lorenzo

paradisenursery

• Los Angeles California
    • View Profile
    • www.paradisenursery.com
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
We grow many  mulberries and the pakistan mulberries trees at our nursery in Los Angelws, and the fruit does not permanently stain the concrete when the fruit falls. I'm not sure how they do with fabric..
http://www.paradisenursery.com/fruit-trees/mulberries
http://www.paradisenursery.com/pakistanmulberry

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Tried  2 more Mulberries  yesterday... Both of them were Morus Albas.... "Persian White" and "White Pakistan" or White Shatoot.   

White Persian is a  terrible bland tasting berry.....Meanwhile the White Pakistan is a popping incredibly crisp vanilla sweet berry...Ultra sweet...Probably should have bought it instead of the Dark Pakistan...

Clay the White Persian Mulberry is meant for dehydrating and eating while drinking Persian tea. My parents use that or dates as a sugar substitute.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 04:43:25 AM »
One very good cultivar is "Gelso della Regina"...it's Morus nigra (not M.alba), it grows slower and remains smaller.
The fruit has an aromatic flavor better than any other Morus alba fruits i've ever eaten.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
One very good cultivar is "Gelso della Regina"...it's Morus nigra (not M.alba), it grows slower and remains smaller.
The fruit has an aromatic flavor better than any other Morus alba fruits i've ever eaten.

YES I agree with you about the fruit quality that is unsurpassed compared to other varieties of Mulberry.
That's the reason why i brought here in the philippines a little grafted tree from Italy  ;)
I don't agree about the size of the tree because in good conditions it may become really big!
Lorenzo

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
White mulberry is very underrated and i love it. Like juicy honey vanilla :)
Been very dry this year so they are smaller but still tasty and the well over 20yo trees are packed!
The soil is rubbish and these trees don't even know what fertilisers are but reliably fruit super heavy every year.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:13:37 PM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2015, 06:47:12 PM »
I prefer the Black mulberries, they are more flavorful and tasty than their fellow white, and red varieties. Their peak season is May through August, while the latter two varieties can be readily available until late spring.

Sarah - Fruitfull Offices
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
I received a few mulberry cuttings that look similar from scion exchange. One is labeled "white", another is labeled "white pakistani". Any ideas whether these may be the same variety? Thank you very much!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:52 AM »
Hi! I have 4 mullberry trees, 1 black, one white, one pakistan black and one pakistan white.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »
Hi! I have 4 mullberry trees, 1 black, one white, one pakistan black and one pakistan white.

How cool! How do you like "white" vs "pakistan white", in terms of taste and staining potential?