Author Topic: Asimina rootstock ?  (Read 3383 times)

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
Asimina rootstock ?
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
CoPlantNut writes I'm growing paw paw (Asimina triloba) here in PH 8.5 soil, and without intervention it does look a bit chlorotic.

Has anyone tried the native Florida Asimina as rootstock?
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Asimina rootstock ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
CoPlantNut writes I'm growing paw paw (Asimina triloba) here in PH 8.5 soil, and without intervention it does look a bit chlorotic.

yes , they failed to take.

I was grafting at the wrong time. I'm almost certain they will take if done properly.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »

I'd not even thought of trying the Floridian Asiminas as rootstocks as they would likely not be hardy in my location, but that's a good idea for warmer locales.

For 8 years I gave my oldest seedling no special treatment and it grew and even started flowering just fine while looking a bit chlorotic.  After adding about 4" of acidic mulch it greened up completely and has stayed that way for the last 3 years.  It seems A. triloba is somewhat tolerant of high-PH soils on its own, but a alkaline-tolerant rootstock may speed up the growth!

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
I don't there there is a pawpaw species which is tolerant of high ph, and also not endangered
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
I've been pleasantly surprised by the seedling Asimina I planted in the warm subtropics. it is 30 plus years old and suckering. Of course with only one plant I haven't had fruit but it flowers profusely. Its growing close to wax jambu (syzygium malacdensis), Dendrocalamus asper, Psidium guajava, P. guineense, Roystonea regia, Juglans ailanthifolia, Carya illinoinensis, Diospyros kaki, Ficus religiosa, Eugenia brasiilensis, m. jaboticaba, Oreocallis wickhamii, Morus indica, Ekebergia capensis,

I  MUST buy in another plant. I can get agrafted selection for $50 !!!!! I had done grafts onto it but none lasted. My maintenance is too minimal.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:20 AM »
I've been pleasantly surprised by the seedling Asimina I planted in the warm subtropics. it is 30 plus years old and suckering. Of course with only one plant I haven't had fruit but it flowers profusely. Its growing close to wax jambu (syzygium malacdensis), Dendrocalamus asper, Psidium guajava, P. guineense, Roystonea regia, Juglans ailanthifolia, Carya illinoinensis, Diospyros kaki, Ficus religiosa, Eugenia brasiilensis, m. jaboticaba, Oreocallis wickhamii, Morus indica, Ekebergia capensis,

I  MUST buy in another plant. I can get agrafted selection for $50 !!!!! I had done grafts onto it but none lasted. My maintenance is too minimal.

Recher, if you are talking about Yamina - I heard they are not doing paw-paw anymore. If you have another lead on grafted plants I'd love to know who.
Does anyone know if they can be grafted to anything else in the family?

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:46:01 AM »

How about seeds?  If you remind me I can gather some for you next fall.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
Crafton Clift topworked one branch of an Annona montana with one of his Asimina hybrids, which grew well for at least two years, until the Annona montana was allowed to grow over it and shade it out.

Some of the "Florida Asiminas" do grow in the southern fourth of Georgia.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk