Author Topic: How to get rid of birds?  (Read 3938 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How to get rid of birds?
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »
I'm tired of the birds taking my smaller fruit! Anything I can do to get rid of them? Maybe giving them a bird feeder so they don't go after fruit?

Any idea is appreciated!

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of birds?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
I don't think you can get rid of them, rather use the Anti Bird Netting protect your Fruits.  I love all the birds around my tree, they take care of the insects for me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:24:29 AM by pinkturtle »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
Paint some rocks bright red and put them in the tree.
Brad Spaugh

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:47:13 PM »
I believe Alfred Hitchcock had a problem with birds.

Kevin Jones

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 01:27:15 PM »
I use some nettings, but that gets old quickly. Putting it on and taking it off. I've been making good use of my pellet gun for birds, possum, squirrels. Pretty fun too.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
I don't think you can get rid of them, rather use the Anti Bird Netting protect your Fruits.  I love all the birds around my tree, they take care of the insects for me.

+1 for netting. It's the only way I can get fruit. Some birds like robins are really smart and can get up and inside the netting though, so if it's stuff you really care about, secure the net to the ground too.

BeBetter

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
I'm losing my mind trying to stop these damn black birds from pecking little holes in my lemon tree. I'm trying everything before I get a BB Gun and start shooting. I've even summoned our Dark Lord.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:47:37 PM »
I'm tired of the birds taking my smaller fruit! Anything I can do to get rid of them? Maybe giving them a bird feeder so they don't go after fruit?

Any idea is appreciated!
lol   ........... Feed Them and They Will Come........... lol

I like NewGen's idea again.... Let those meteorites fall from the sky...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
In my orchards i plan to let 10-15 % of the crop on trees for the birds to eat in winter.
I also have a giant cherry tree ,Prunus Avium ,that i keep especially for blackbirds.
I dont mention the houndreds of big Mirabelle trees and american plums from my fence ,wich are heavy bearers that probably make 2-3 tons of fruit per year and i dont colect them ,just keep these trees for the birds.
I get soo much fruit that i have to ferment them to make moonshine or compost ,but the mirabelle,american plum and cherryes are too much work to colect.
I make compost from apples,pears and quince( i have a quince tree that makes like 400kgs of fruit per year ,alone).

Not to forget the sour cherry forest with houndreds of trees on the hill slope.They are high quality fruit ,but because theyre in a slope i dont colect them and leave them for the birds.

An idea to prevent you becoming poore because of the birds ,is to plant more trees, for you and the birds.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:29:23 PM by SeaWalnut »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »
I'm losing my mind trying to stop these damn black birds from pecking little holes in my lemon tree.
Maybe thee blackbirds are similar to crows, which are very intelligent and social. I used to grow quite a bit of sweet corn but far away from most other corn fields so the crows didn't have many corn fields to choose from except mine. Crows learn quickly enough that the just-sprouted sweet corn that emerges from the ground is a great treat, they can spot the light green ines right away and go down the line pulling and eating all day until they see you coming. My solution was to go hunt and shoot a crow somewhere then hang the dead crow up swinging next to the corn field. I usually would do it illegally in a drive-by fashion using a shotgun, but the technique really did work very well. The crows realized the threat and would not come around the other dead crow at all.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
I have these giant sized,fruit eating ,blackbird flocks flying above my land .
I dont do nothing and i have grapes,cherryes,small fruits they like to eat.They do no big damage ( id say no damage at all) and they are fun to watch especially if they are chased by a hawk.
In childhood i used to hunt and eat all species of blackbirds i could find.Its for connaiseur hunters to eat them and they have a distinct taste because they eat all those fruits and they are the leanest possible game meat.
Now i dont hunt any bird ,off course.
With a pellet gun if you sit under the flock directly and shot them ,you wont do nothing to them and might as well get stained with somme red poo  ;D.
https://youtu.be/PGH74n5FZmM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:58:13 PM by SeaWalnut »

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
I'm losing my mind trying to stop these damn black birds from pecking little holes in my lemon tree.
Maybe thee blackbirds are similar to crows, which are very intelligent and social. I used to grow quite a bit of sweet corn but far away from most other corn fields so the crows didn't have many corn fields to choose from except mine. Crows learn quickly enough that the just-sprouted sweet corn that emerges from the ground is a great treat, they can spot the light green ines right away and go down the line pulling and eating all day until they see you coming. My solution was to go hunt and shoot a crow somewhere then hang the dead crow up swinging next to the corn field. I usually would do it illegally in a drive-by fashion using a shotgun, but the technique really did work very well. The crows realized the threat and would not come around the other dead crow at all.
I loved the story and would have tried it two weeks ago on the crows taking my lychees. Luckily the crows did not notice the ripe lychee until they were ready to be harvested. I could tell they were smart and would not get close to me. But, they continued to circle back every few minutes and I watched them pick one and then they liked to fly with it in their beak to another destination before eating it. Often, they would drop it before they could pull it off with their beak while flying hovering next to a group of lychee. That was how I first noticed something was eating them and thought it strange that unopened whole lychee were a few feet from the tree on the ground.

I picked my crop the day after noticing the crows, so no problem currently. But, if anyone else has not picked their lychee and are trying to figure out why whole unopened lychee are near the tree on the ground... Suspect birds and especially crows to be the villain.

Thanks for the idea, looking forward to next year to watch the crow dangle in the breeze.... It will be interesting to see if it works... Looking forward to the future test...

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »
In my orchards i plan to let 10-15 % of the crop on trees for the birds to eat in winter.
I also have a giant cherry tree ,Prunus Avium ,that i keep especially for blackbirds.
I dont mention the houndreds of big Mirabelle trees and american plums from my fence ,wich are heavy bearers that probably make 2-3 tons of fruit per year and i dont colect them ,just keep these trees for the birds.
I get soo much fruit that i have to ferment them to make moonshine or compost ,but the mirabelle,american plum and cherryes are too much work to colect.
I make compost from apples,pears and quince( i have a quince tree that makes like 400kgs of fruit per year ,alone).

Not to forget the sour cherry forest with houndreds of trees on the hill slope.They are high quality fruit ,but because theyre in a slope i dont colect them and leave them for the birds.

An idea to prevent you becoming poore because of the birds ,is to plant more trees, for you and the birds.

Salut! Nice to see another Romanian on the forum!

As for planting more trees, I can't as I have almost no space in my yard! I bought the bigger trees and put them in the ground, the rest have to stay in pots, and because of that less fruit. I want it all in a human stomach!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:12 AM »
Salut !
The small trees you could cover them with a shade cloth or something like that .
Personally i dont worry about blackbirds ( grauri) and i had small cherry trees that had just 2 or 4 fruits on them ,the giant flock of blackbirds settled for a while on my land and no bird ate my cherryes wich were without protection so to speak  :D.

Graurii erau carnea de vanat preferata a lui Alexandru Odobescu.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
Graurii erau carnea de vanat preferata a lui Alexandru Odobescu.
English: 
The starlings were Alexandru Odobescu's favorite game meat
SING A SONG OF SIX PENCE:::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZvMIZwBljk

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:39:15 PM by palmcity »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 04:46:38 PM »
feed them away from your fruits. move feeders depending on where you want them not to be. you cannot get rid of all the birds, and it would be sad if you did

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 05:40:55 PM »
My chickens have eaten a lot of my fruits but I don't really care because the give me fresh eggs every day.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »
feed them away from your fruits. move feeders depending on where you want them not to be. you cannot get rid of all the birds, and it would be sad if you did

They tried getting rid of all the birds once in China. 

"The "Four Pests" campaign was introduced in 1958 by Mao Zedong, as a hygiene campaign aimed to eradicate the pests responsible for the transmission of pestilence and disease: the mosquitos responsible for malaria; the rodents that spread the plague; the pervasive airborne flies; and the sparrows – specifically the Eurasian tree sparrow – which ate grain seed and fruit.[1] The government also declared that "birds are public animals of capitalism".[2] According to some eyewitnesses, citizens would bang pots and pans so that sparrows would not have the chance to rest on tree branches and would fall dead from the sky.[3] Sparrow nests were also destroyed, eggs were broken, and chicks were killed. In addition to these tactics, citizens also resorted to simply shooting the birds down from the sky.[4] These mass attacks depleted the sparrow population, pushing it to near extinction.[4] Furthermore, contests were held among enterprises, government agencies, and schools in cleanliness.[3] Non-material rewards were given to those who handed in the largest number of rat tails, dead flies and mosquitoes, or dead sparrows."
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
"By April 1960, Chinese leaders changed their opinion due to the influence of ornithologist Tso-hsin Cheng[2] who pointed out that sparrows ate a large number of insects, as well as grains.[8][9] Rather than being increased, rice yields after the campaign were substantially decreased.[10][9] Mao ordered the end of the campaign against sparrows, replacing them with bed bugs, as the extermination of sparrows upset the ecological balance, and insects destroyed crops as a result of the absence of natural predators.

By this time, however, it was too late. With no sparrows to eat them, locust populations ballooned, swarming the country and compounding the ecological problems already caused by the Great Leap Forward, including widespread deforestation and misuse of poisons and pesticides.[10] Ecological imbalance is credited with exacerbating the Great Chinese Famine, in which 15–45 million people died of starvation.[11][12] The Chinese government eventually resorted to importing 250,000 sparrows from the Soviet Union to replenish their population.[13]"
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 06:00:53 PM »
I ate a lot of eurasian sparrows in childhood ,when i was stupid and hunted everything that move.
My dream was to hunt a rare,white sparrow ,albino.
Never seen one.
Now i have probably 50 sparrows that nest on my house roof and around the house.
They eat my dog food pellets and even the cat pellets but i cant get mad on them for that.

A week ago i left the window open to my greenhouse and 3 sparrows got inside the dome then got skared and one couldnt find the way out.
I got out of the dome so that she doesnt feel stressed by my presence so that she finds the way out wich she did.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »
I've been bagging the fruit to protect them from birds.

Bird feeders are not, they are actually squirrel feeders.

A lesson from bagging fruit, thin heavily. Then you have less, but bigger fruit to bag. This makes the chore easier.

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
My only problem with the birds is them picking off my small fruits like surinam cherries or miracle fruit, so bagging isn't really an option.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Hang some red Christmas ornaments in the tree or use rocks. 
Brad Spaugh

Budtropicals

• South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:10 PM »
Hang some red Christmas ornaments in the tree or use rocks.

All right, i'll try that. Thanks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 11:52:06 PM »
Put up a Squirrel Buster bird feeder a few days ago. It is spring loaded and set to close up when something as heavy as a squirrel gets on it. Working well so far, but these squirrels are smart and determined.