Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

can pluots pollinate other pluots?

(1/2) > >>

macias_97:
i got four pluots, according to DWN, they should all use a Santa Rosa Plum for pollination.  Well my SRP just kicked the bucket, so i was going to replace with a beauty plum and hope the pluots would cross pollinate with each other.  Thoughts??

Goyo626:

--- Quote from: macias_97 on December 11, 2018, 04:56:48 PM ---i got four pluots, according to DWN, they should all use a Santa Rosa Plum for pollination.  Well my SRP just kicked the bucket, so i was going to replace with a beauty plum and hope the pluots would cross pollinate with each other.  Thoughts??

--- End quote ---

Shouldnt be a problem but if you want to make sure graft burgundy plum or santa rosa on one of the trees.

Fensinee:
We are very pleased to recommend this to your friends.

Samu:

--- Quote from: macias_97 on December 11, 2018, 04:56:48 PM ---i got four pluots, according to DWN, they should all use a Santa Rosa Plum for pollination.  Well my SRP just kicked the bucket, so i was going to replace with a beauty plum and hope the pluots would cross pollinate with each other.  Thoughts??

--- End quote ---

My local nurseryman did not recommend me to get a plum tree for pollination purpose when I bought a SpiceZee pluot tree (it is now one of my favorite tree in my yard) but did when I bought Flavor Grenade pluot tree. So, my take is that some pluots do need plum tree for pollination, some don't...

As stated by Goyo above, I think you can graft a plum scion on your pluot, instead of planting another tree, and if this route is taken, I would graft multiple plum scions on those pluot trees...

Mango Stein:
To answer original poster, no, pluots cannot pollinate other pluots, as pollination is something done by insects and wind.
If you meant cross-pollination, then yes, pluots can do this to each other, and with four I don't think there will be an issue of incompatible pollen.

@Samu
Spicezee is not a pluot, it is a nectaplum (hybrid) which has 87% peach/nectarine in its pedigree and only 13% plum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version