Author Topic: Best Tasting Passion Fruit/Granadilla?  (Read 3006 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Best Tasting Passion Fruit/Granadilla?
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
What are the best tasting passion fruit cultivars with sweet flavor and where might I be able to acquire cuttings/seeds?  Are there any such varieties that self pollinate?  Thanks.
- Marley

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
Re: Best Tasting Passion Fruit/Granadilla?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:06:07 PM »
Bump! Interested for zone 10b
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:54:04 AM »
Can't say about 10b, but in Fiji the purple passion fruit are much sweeter than the yellow ones.  The sugar:acid ratio on the purples allow eating out of hand a joy when in the field.  The yellow ones here don't develop the sugars as well, so are used for juice.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »
If it can't be eaten out of hand here by small children it gets chopped . The sweeter and richer the taste the more popular the variety.My pandoras (flavicarpa) have been kicking serious arse in the taste department lately and are even better than my friends Panama gold.I bought a few misty gems and sweethearts (plain P.edulis) at the supermarket this week and while nice and sweet with good flavour they are not in the same league as good flavicarpas.I find the other species a pale shadow of these improved commercial cultivars.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Mike,

Do you or others near you grow P. laurifolia?  Are there improved cultivars of it (not that it needs improvement, in my opinion)?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
If it can't be eaten out of hand here by small children it gets chopped . The sweeter and richer the taste the more popular the variety.My pandoras (flavicarpa) have been kicking serious arse in the taste department lately and are even better than my friends Panama gold.I bought a few misty gems and sweethearts (plain P.edulis) at the supermarket this week and while nice and sweet with good flavour they are not in the same league as good flavicarpas.I find the other species a pale shadow of these improved commercial cultivars.

That’s funny Mike , you Aussies must be real sweet .... here the demand is for the acid ones ( restaurants , bars etc )
The P. lingularis sometimes appears in the market , doesn’t work for me , too hot .
Now waiting for your flavicarpas to fruit , only one germinated and I don’t know if it is the Pandora or the Panama .
BTW. One of the Abiu E4 that you send to Raul made it ..thanks pal .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
I have a small Fredrick's Purple but have yet to try the fruit.  Does anyone have any input on this CV?
- Marley

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
The P. lingularis sometimes appears in the market , doesn’t work for me , too hot .

Ligularis seems to struggle even here. But i imagine that's because i have had to put it in a sunny place to help it in winter, so during summer it's too hot. It should do really well in an oceanic climate.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
I have a small Fredrick's Purple but have yet to try the fruit.  Does anyone have any input on this CV?

Fredericks is not nearly as good as what you can get in tropical places (best I've had was in Equador), but we still enjoy them quite a bit.
Shane