Author Topic: Selling new rare jaboticabas, Annonas, Myrtaceae, delicious rainforest species!  (Read 172932 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Selling: Eugenia repanda, Chañar,Guabiju, Guaporeti, Jaboticaba, Guabiroba
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »
Hi, I will have a small amount of a very rare Psidium believed to be Psidium salutare var mucronatum.

* Arazá rastrero (Psidium salutare var mucronatum). The fruit has a tasty sweet and a bit acid pulp and the plant grows as a small shrub, being the only Psidium native of my Province of Buenos Aires (Tandil), so it is frost hardy up to, at least, -6ºC. This one in particular produces big fruits up to 3.2cm diam, while the normal size is 1.5cm diam.

5 seeds, 14 USD
10 seeds, 26 USD
20 seeds, 50 USD
40 seeds, 96 USD

For more info about P. salutare, visit:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/293568017_A_revision_of_the_Psidium_salutare_complex_Myrtaceae

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Psidium-salutare-var-mucronatum-A-Stems-and-flowers-B-Immature-fruits_fig27_321834883?fbclid=IwAR0tYSC7XK9m2zQtktT4cl-XdriWFBoU21RayFXn6dyYJDVERK8mTQ6HpSg

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
A very tasty harvest! We will make icecream!

* Early bearing Guabiju (Myrcianthes pungens) . Very hardy species, -10º C frost resistance, sweet fruits (up to 24º Brix) with orange pulp and a lot of antioxidants. This variety produces sweet big fruits in 4 years.

5 seeds USD 16
10 seeds USD 30
20 seeds USD 58
40 seeds USD 110

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Arazá serrano is ripening now!

very nice taste, bigger and harder tree than P. cattleianum, less perishable fruits, it resist -8ºC or so.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Arazá grande, Psidium robustum is starting to ripe now too:

We have fresh seeds of this rare and vigorous arazá of large and tasty fruits

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Today's harvest, sete capotes, strawberry guava, arazá serrano, anacahuita

Anacahuita:

NEW!

* Sete capotes (campomanesia guazumifolia), frost resistance -6º C or so. Hardy and tasty species, the flowers have the most wonderful perfume. One of my favourite fruits: it tastes very good. Climate: tropical, subtropical

5 seeds (USD 12),
10 seeds (USD 22)
20 seeds (USD 42)
40 seeds (USD 80)

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
* Biribá (Annona mucosa or Rollinia deliciosa) Frost hardy to -2º C or so, sweet taste similar to lemon pie, big fruits, very nice variety from Misiones, Argentina.  Climate: tropical and subtropical

5 seeds USD 10
10 seeds USD 18
20 seeds USD 34
40 seeds USD 66

Photo of unripe fruit from Misiones, Argentina:

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
Your note on how Eugenias, Plinia, and Psidium prefer some shade has really transformed my planting plans of my very limited space! Thank you for saving me several years and burned plants :).

Also, thank you for posting all of your information on frost resistance! From your posts, it looks like all of your Eugenias seem to tolerate -6C with little or no damage. I've seen several people post about Eugenia Candolleana (rainforest plum), with some calling it their favorite Eugenia. Have you tried growing this one?

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Your note on how Eugenias, Plinia, and Psidium prefer some shade has really transformed my planting plans of my very limited space! Thank you for saving me several years and burned plants :).

Also, thank you for posting all of your information on frost resistance! From your posts, it looks like all of your Eugenias seem to tolerate -6C with little or no damage. I've seen several people post about Eugenia Candolleana (rainforest plum), with some calling it their favorite Eugenia. Have you tried growing this one?

Hi Draak, yes, all our Eugenias (I mean, from Misiones, Entre Ríos, Corrientes, Santa Fe --> Argentina) will resist -6ºC and some -9º C or so... but Eugenia candolleana is from south Brasil and so maybe it resist -4ºC... I dont know but I have just 1 plant, small for now, 30cm or 40cm tall.

I am glad that the info helped you! When all these species are big enought, they will like full sun; in fact Psidiums will need more sun to produce better fruits. So keep in mind you should give them some ours of sun.

Cheers

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
E. candolleana has not been hardy for me. Mine died back last winter in -3ºC weather and only pushed tiny new leaves the year after. I think it's finally dead now. I'm not sure if we've even gone below freezing this year, but it's been in the low thirties the last two nights.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Same for me regarding E Candolleana. I had around eight seedlings, all but one died over the years in autumn and in very mild frosts, before I moved the rest of my Eugenia’s into a more protected place for the winter. In my experience they are not frost hardy. The last plant I have I now take inside for the winter long before it even gets close to frost.

Ataman

• I'm fruit lover. I try to grow every type of fruit
    • Hungary, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
I have  Eugenia candolleana. I think this plant frost hardy about -2 C but when outside temperature goes down +5 C the leaves get red and about 0 C all of the leaves fell down.   Another experince: this Eugenia very slow growing. I have 3 plants from same batch and the biggest plant only 30 cm tall. The another 2 only 20 cm tall. All plants 4 years old.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas

* Biribá (Annona mucosa or Rollinia deliciosa) Frost hardy to -2º C or so, sweet taste similar to lemon pie, big fruits, very nice variety from Misiones, Argentina.  Climate: tropical and subtropical

5 seeds USD 10
10 seeds USD 18
20 seeds USD 34
40 seeds USD 66

Photos of the real fruits I got:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
I have  Eugenia candolleana. I think this plant frost hardy about -2 C but when outside temperature goes down +5 C the leaves get red and about 0 C all of the leaves fell down.   Another experince: this Eugenia very slow growing. I have 3 plants from same batch and the biggest plant only 30 cm tall. The another 2 only 20 cm tall. All plants 4 years old.

+1

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas

Example of package:

10 Chañar seeds USD 26
5 algarrobo blanco seeds USD 16
10 Tala seeds USD 26
5 Mistol seeds USD 16
10 Piquillín negro seeds USD 26

Total USD 110 with free shipping!

You can customize your order, this is just an example.

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
UPDATE, 24 may 2018: I have some very rare cephalotaxus fortunei seeds on sale now. 10 seeds USD 18.

Information on what these fruits taste like is hard to come by! Did you eat these fruits? What did they taste like?

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
UPDATE, 24 may 2018: I have some very rare cephalotaxus fortunei seeds on sale now. 10 seeds USD 18.

Information on what these fruits taste like is hard to come by! Did you eat these fruits? What did they taste like?

A friend tasted them and liked them!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
I don't know if it is just me but the link for your price list (at the top of this thread) just brings me back to a TFF menu page.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Jaboticaba de Campo Ramón is doing it again; this is a rare species from Argentina, we dont have scientific name for it, so Plinia sp.

The owner of the tree says it bears for the first time at just 5 years old.

It produces, at least, 2 crops per year at Misiones, Argentina: the first one by October and the second one by April.

Big juicy, sweet fruits up to 3.5cm diam.: