Author Topic: Truly Tropical Tour - Marlys Zill's Mango  (Read 4797 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Truly Tropical Tour - Marlys Zill's Mango
« on: November 10, 2017, 03:40:57 PM »
This will be helpful for those of us far from the coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuIkT8JH7gE

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Truly Tropical Tour - Marlys Zill's Mango
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »
Seems she had decent clean crops from:
Marlys
Hatcher
Juicy Peach
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering
Neil Petite (Never heard of this one)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
Marlys
Hatcher
Juicy Peach
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering

Wonder is it the same as nelepetite.  Bought fruit years ago at Fairchild mango fest.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »
Thanks for sharing the video, I wish I had that orchard:)

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
That Nell Petite looks interesting  real dwarf? clean, and decent fruit?  has potential,  I watched this video earlier today,  I believe she said that tree was 12 years old,  and it was very small .
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:40 AM »
I dont think it was mentioned in the video, but anyone has an idea on how much acreage Marlys Zill has?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:43:36 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:09:34 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
Very good info.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
Marlys
Hatcher
Juicy Peach
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering

I was shocked as to how many trees either had very low yields, like 2 or 3, or none.  I guess I have this impression that most of ya'll in the central to south Florida area have "perfect" clime/soil/conditions for producing mangos and they should produce well most years.   Seems you have many challenges like we do with fruit trees just different in scope.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Marlys
Hatcher
Juicy Peach
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering

I was shocked as to how many trees either had very low yields, like 2 or 3, or none.  I guess I have this impression that most of ya'll in the central to south Florida area have "perfect" clime/soil/conditions for producing mangos and they should produce well most years.   Seems you have many challenges like we do with fruit trees just different in scope.

Yeah it's pretty bad.. the 8 year old Haden seedling that produced fruit for the first time this year out there at my parents house only produced 1 mango & the skin was not clean.. but the fruit was delicious & fiberless according to my mother who had it. I've been starting to top work some seedling trees to other varieties that will produce well out there- Florigon, Duncan, & especially SweetTart now that I know it will do well out there 😁
Sergio

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:25 PM »
Marlys
Hatcher
Juicy Peach
Sweet Tart
Angie
Pickering

Loxahatchee is one of the worst places in Florida that mangos can be grown "successfully" (using that word rather loosely here). Mangos do not fruit well under those conditions for a variety of reasons:

1. High humidity has a depressing affect on the trees ability to flower at all, especially when temperatures are less than ideal
2. trees are more likely to flush vegetative growth at the wrong time
3. Fungus is a big problem, both on the flowers and fruit. There are aggressive strains of anthracnose that thrive in Loxahatchee that make it virtually impossible to get fruit from certain cultivars, even if they are treated with a good fungicidal program. There is also foliar scab, a big problem with certain cvs like Angie and Keitt. This can severely limit growth and impact the overall health of the tree
4. In the vent that very cold weather actually does roll through, interior areas like Loxahatchee are much more likely to experience freezing or near freezing weather, which can ruin the crop some years and set the trees back.

What fruit that you do get invariably comes out filthy. Not just because of anthracnose either....fungi like scab, sooty blotch, and flyspeck are even bigger culprits. Those are practically unheard of where I am.

You'll notice all the oaks, pine and cabbage palms out there.....excessive vegetation, coupled with lots of bodies of fresh water (ponds, canals, etc), + distance from ocean breezes, higher rainfall totals and a loamier soil that contains more nitrogen and holds more moisture = the perfect storm of garbage to crush any mango growers dreams. I can only imagine what it will be like once MBBS and "the rot" becomes firmly established out there.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Loxahatchee is one of the worst places in Florida that mangos can be grown "successfully" (using that word rather loosely here). Mangos do not fruit well under those conditions for a variety of reasons:

1. High humidity has a depressing affect on the trees ability to flower at all, especially when temperatures are less than ideal
2. trees are more likely to flush vegetative growth at the wrong time
3. Fungus is a big problem, both on the flowers and fruit. There are aggressive strains of anthracnose that thrive in Loxahatchee that make it virtually impossible to get fruit from certain cultivars, even if they are treated with a good fungicidal program. There is also foliar scab, a big problem with certain cvs like Angie and Keitt. This can severely limit growth and impact the overall health of the tree
4. In the vent that very cold weather actually does roll through, interior areas like Loxahatchee are much more likely to experience freezing or near freezing weather, which can ruin the crop some years and set the trees back.

What fruit that you do get invariably comes out filthy. Not just because of anthracnose either....fungi like scab, sooty blotch, and flyspeck are even bigger culprits. Those are practically unheard of where I am.

You'll notice all the oaks, pine and cabbage palms out there.....excessive vegetation, coupled with lots of bodies of fresh water (ponds, canals, etc), + distance from ocean breezes, higher rainfall totals and a loamier soil that contains more nitrogen and holds more moisture = the perfect storm of garbage to crush any mango growers dreams. I can only imagine what it will be like once MBBS and "the rot" becomes firmly established out there.

*LIKE*   Yeah, it's like most any fruit tree.  Location, location, location

You folks who don't use fungicides really have a hard time of it.  Been in Hollywood a while so I know the RH you have around there.  I've seen mail order fruit from a well known, huge Florida mango orchard op and I wouldn't waste my time or money on a mail order box from what I've seen.  A few Texas growers have shown these mango orders/fruit, the typical Edward and such, and they were full of fungus, black spots on the skin.   Some of that went into the flesh.  No excuse IMO!

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »
This is why that video was useful,  it seems that a few varieties do have some success out there.   and someone with similar situation,  might want to consider a variety that can take the humidity and muck.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
As none have posted the total list in the last minute of this video which says, "Mangos that do well in humid conditions and wetter soils" in alphabetical order are:

Angie, Beverly, Carrie, Juicy Peach, Maha Chanok, Marlys, Nell Petite, Pickering, Sweet Tart, Valcarrie, & Venus.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
As none have posted the total list in the last minute of this video which says, "Mangos that do well in humid conditions and wetter soils" in alphabetical order are:

Angie, Beverly, Carrie, Juicy Peach, Maha Chanok, Marlys, Nell Petite, Pickering, Sweet Tart, Valcarrie, & Venus.

I can't recommend Angie, Carrie, or Venus for anyone wanting to grow mangos out there.

Angie has serious problems with foliar scab. It can vary from tree-to-tree but I had plenty of problems with it. Carrie trees *used* to produce well in the interior but now are susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose that will wipe out the inflorescence.

Venus is anthracnose resistant but was discovered to be highly susceptible to MBBS and probably should no longer be planted in south Florida. Zill probably won't graft it anymore.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
'Hatcher' also received favorable mention.  That was a surprise to me.
Har

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »

That's another one that's going to go the way of the Dodo thanks to MBBS/rot.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »

What other mangoes are effected by this?
Terrible news about Venus as this is one of my favorites.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »
I'm sure we have a list somewhere on the forum.
I wonder if we have a list of reliable, resistant varieties specifically geared to the more inland areas and also considers the new diseases.
If someone has a link I'd appreciate it

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »

What other mangoes are effected by this?
Terrible news about Venus as this is one of my favorites.

Anything descended from the Brooks cultivar is extremely questionable, along with maybe half of Haden descendants. We're still learning what and to what degree. Lemon Zest is another really bad one.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

I can't recommend Angie, Carrie, or Venus for anyone wanting to grow mangos out there.

Angie has serious problems with foliar scab. It can vary from tree-to-tree but I had plenty of problems with it. Carrie trees *used* to produce well in the interior but now are susceptible to newer strains of anthracnose that will wipe out the inflorescence.

Venus is anthracnose resistant but was discovered to be highly susceptible to MBBS and probably should no longer be planted in south Florida. Zill probably won't graft it anymore.

I really appreciate your opinion and taking the time to post. I also really appreciate Marlys opinion and just again watched the video and I'm sure she states 5:25 into video that her Carrie Trees are disease free & still produce well.

I believe I located her property by name search (did not want to post location) and used as the crow flies calculator to get distance from ocean and looks like roughly 19 miles and close to Lion Club Safari. I do not know your prior areas of experimenting in Loxahatchee and was it close to her or not?

If it was close to her then of course why the variability might occur. I'm wondering if perhaps the clearing and removal of the oak trees prior to planting your Carrie Trees may have left residual fungal growth or provided areas of good future fungal growth in the soil vs. her undisturbed property. Many other guesses and it's fun to guess and of course no way to know why for sure...

Can you give an approximate location of the recent sold grove of yours? Also if I'm totally wrong and she is not located within a few miles of Lion Club Safari please let me know if you know. 

Trees & More has a huge Carrie doing fine in Martin County but it is probably 10 to 11 miles from the ocean; however, it does have plenty of oaks and pines near it.

Many variables and many unknowns in growing mango trees leads to many guesses for future outcomes...

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

I really appreciate your opinion and taking the time to post. I also really appreciate Marlys opinion and just again watched the video and I'm sure she states 5:25 into video that her Carrie Trees are disease free & still produce well.

I believe I located her property by name search (did not want to post location) and used as the crow flies calculator to get distance from ocean and looks like roughly 19 miles and close to Lion Club Safari. I do not know your prior areas of experimenting in Loxahatchee and was it close to her or not?

If it was close to her then of course why the variability might occur. I'm wondering if perhaps the clearing and removal of the oak trees prior to planting your Carrie Trees may have left residual fungal growth or provided areas of good future fungal growth in the soil vs. her undisturbed property. Many other guesses and it's fun to guess and of course no way to know why for sure...

Can you give an approximate location of the recent sold grove of yours? Also if I'm totally wrong and she is not located within a few miles of Lion Club Safari please let me know if you know. 

Trees & More has a huge Carrie doing fine in Martin County but it is probably 10 to 11 miles from the ocean; however, it does have plenty of oaks and pines near it.

Many variables and many unknowns in growing mango trees leads to many guesses for future outcomes...

I was in Loxahatchee Groves between E and D roads along north road. Had about 30 or more Carrie trees.

Some of them would get lucky and fruit well. Most of them got anthracnose, especially the last couple years. Some of it involved timing in terms of humidity when the blooms emerged. I had the opportunity to observe other Carrie trees in the area and saw the same thing.

As to what I'd attribute her Carries doing well, probably luck.