Author Topic: Maha Chanok taste test!  (Read 1179 times)

cape coral Bob

• cape coral
    • View Profile
Maha Chanok taste test!
« on: July 22, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
Today I tried my first Maha chanok mango, courtesy of Tony from CC. I found it to have a wonderful, very sweet flavor. The texture was best described as creamy, but not mushy. It is a top 5 mango among the 30 or so varieties I have tried this year.  Recommended!

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok taste test!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:21:59 AM »
10 for being photogenic.....1 for flavor unless you like carrots.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 02:26:57 AM »
I agree with everything the OP said except for flavor. While it's not bad, it just does not have the wow factor. If you are looking for a very good improved Nam Doc Mai, then Maha might be your winner
- Rob

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:24:42 AM »
Steve,
 if you tasted carrot then it was way overripe. I did taste one like that a few years ago that I bought overripe and was starting to go bad.
Try one at an earlier ripeness stage next year. I can save one for you to try next year.
Trust me, the Mahas I had this year had an excellent classic mango flavor.
 Eaten at their peak like the one I gave to Bob, I would have to agree that it was one of the top 5 varieties I tasted this year as well.
5 years ago this variety was all the rage and is still very good even if not the latest fashion today.
 Most years I would still personally rate them toward the bottom of the top 25 strictly based on eating quality. Very good fairly mild and pleasant but like Rob said, missing the WOW factor. This year they had more classic and less Southeast Asian flavor. If I had tasted it blind this year I would have guessed something with Haden ancestry. This year they were about as good as classic mango flavor gets. The only classical Mango I have ever tasted that made me say WOW was a perfect intense Dot a few years ago. This year Dot was not in my top 10.Too fungus sensitive for me to grow in my yard, but I try to get a few every year from Pine Island nearby. I guess even perfect classic Florida flavor might not get a WOW from most people that have tasted many varieties but at least should get an honorable mention.
I feel that Maha Chanok overall is worthy of serious consideration as a mid-season mango if you have limited space. Mine started ripening just as Pickering finished. This year Maha Chanok mangoes were better than usual.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:22:49 AM by TonyinCC »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
I like the consistent production, color, smell and disease resistance on Maha but I consider it a good tasting mango and not top tier. That’s my taste buds and it may be your number one. Maha was one of those pioneer varieties that Harry introduced to us and it got me to where I am now. I am very thankful to Harry for sharing this variety with the mango community! Harry could have made a small fortune by selling scions but instead he shared it with the world.

Simon

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
I agree it is not top tier during most years as grown in my location but overall it has enough good qualities that I have two planted out.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
I agree it is not top tier during most years as grown in my location but overall it has enough good qualities that I have two planted out.
Yes, and I've never tasted carrot flavor.
John

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »
Some overripe mangoes get that unpleasant carrot component that is the early stages of what I call the "mango death" flavor. I have seen it in Mallika(most prone) and Bailey's Marvel among some others.  You want to die and will retch and heave and spit when you taste a mango that has gone off to that stage.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk