Author Topic: Maluma : New avocado variety  (Read 6586 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mike

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Maluma : New avocado variety
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:10:25 AM »
Henk van Niekerk sounds pretty dutch to me. I would like to try their new cado, i bet it is true what they say, better then a hass.

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
Henk van Niekerk sounds pretty dutch to me. I would like to try their new cado, i bet it is true what they say, better then a hass.

dutch, or afrikaans
treefrog land and cattle company

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »
New varieties, new varieties from everywhere! And the consumer isn't confused? :-\
Mike

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
New varieties, new varieties from everywhere! And the consumer isn't confused? :-\

No.  He's smarter than you think!
John

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »

No.  He's smarter than you think!
;)
Mike

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:31:01 PM »
Shane

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
i thought it was a malama hehe, ""The taste is better, more creamy than Hass" looks like a very good variety with small seeds

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
Yep south africa but they all have origin dutch names, i guess they are (family of) emigrants from Holland.

We can't have enough improved fruits! And it's about time the Ozzy's get better variety's because the Hass is also locally grown in Thailand these days and much cheaper then imported cado's.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »
That 'Maluma' avocado looks perfect, prolific fruit production, larger than a 'Hass,' with better quality flesh than a 'Hass,' and the smallest stone, flesh/seed ration, that I've ever seen on an avocado, I can't think of anything else that I would ask for, other than for the 'Maluma' to be available where I'm at, Miami, FL USA.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
Yep south africa but they all have origin dutch names, i guess they are (family of) emigrants from Holland.

We can't have enough improved fruits! And it's about time the Ozzy's get better variety's because the Hass is also locally grown in Thailand these days and much cheaper then imported cado's.
I don't think emigrants.

That 'Maluma' avocado looks perfect, prolific fruit production, larger than a 'Hass,' with better quality flesh than a 'Hass,' and the smallest stone, flesh/seed ration, that I've ever seen on an avocado, I can't think of anything else that I would ask for, other than for the 'Maluma' to be available where I'm at, Miami, FL USA.
I can't think of anything else... too, because asking for scionwood of a  patented variety is too early! >:(
Mike

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
Look forward to seeing it in California some day, if only in the commercial orchards and grocery store.

Sidenote: SA was a Dutch colony for a long time. Believe the Dutch have been there for >350 yrs.
Shane

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
I guess they didn't care that there was already an avocado named "Malama!" :P
John

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »
Look forward to seeing it in California some day, if only in the commercial orchards and grocery store.

Sidenote: SA was a Dutch colony for a long time. Believe the Dutch have been there for >350 yrs.
I lived in South Africa for a few years and the fruit in Durban is all over. I believe they call avocados "alligator pears". We had monkeys eating the avocados in our tree.
Yes, the Dutch (Afrikaners) have been there longer than many of the other tribes living in South Africa. The British fought them in the early 1900's in the Boer war.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:16:36 AM »

The description of the variety sounds perfect. We should give a try when it is possible
They are descendant (if the word is right?) from the colonialism time
Mike

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 02:06:44 AM »
I was at an Agricultural expo today,   and one of the speakers from Peru ,  gave a presentation,   one of the varieties they are planting commercially now, is the Maluma.

It seems someone patented this variety,  for commercial use,  ( was told it was US$1.50 per tree )   this is what I know,  it is much larger than the Hass,  has thicker skin,  very productive,  but most important,  it grows well in low lands,  they planted their trees in the desert,  in what is basically sand.  ( fertigation ).   

his presentation was more focused on quality control and certifying all parts of the production and planting process.  but highly recommended this variety.   he also mentioned it has some salt tolerance and could handle alkaline soils. 

I recorded the presentation and will have it up sometime in the next week or so. 

So just wondering if anyone experimented with this in Florida.
http://www.avocadosource.com/WAC8/Section_02/ErnstAA2015.pdf

http://www.agroforum.pe/agro-noticias/palta-maluma-busca-ganar-terreno-peru-y-espana-11503/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:18:00 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »
I wonder what the Malama's cold tolerance is. 
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 10:52:41 PM »
I was at an Agricultural expo today,   and one of the speakers from Peru ,  gave a presentation,   one of the varieties they are planting commercially now, is the Maluma.

It seems someone patented this variety,  for commercial use,  ( was told it was US$1.50 per tree )   this is what I know,  it is much larger than the Hass,  has thicker skin,  very productive,  but most important,  it grows well in low lands,  they planted their trees in the desert,  in what is basically sand.  ( fertigation ).   

his presentation was more focused on quality control and certifying all parts of the production and planting process.  but highly recommended this variety.   he also mentioned it has some salt tolerance and could handle alkaline soils. 

I recorded the presentation and will have it up sometime in the next week or so. 

So just wondering if anyone experimented with this in Florida.
http://www.avocadosource.com/WAC8/Section_02/ErnstAA2015.pdf

http://www.agroforum.pe/agro-noticias/palta-maluma-busca-ganar-terreno-peru-y-espana-11503/

Is this the variety they are selling in Costco imported from Peru aka Peruvian hass?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:55:05 PM by gozp »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »
2 years ago I bought 6 Maluma’s in Israel and brought back the seeds. Yes it is the greatest mango on earth. It’s patented and only sold to licensed commercials.
Only 1 seed took and my tree is 2 years old. It will be many years before it fruits and hopefully it will be true to seed.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
I skimmed over the link it talked about taking heat well but if cant handle cold in northern cal its a non starter