Author Topic: Arctostaphylos sp. / Manzanita  (Read 1037 times)

kernol

• Austria 6b/7a
    • View Profile
Arctostaphylos sp. / Manzanita
« on: September 07, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
I stumbled over some articles about Manzanitas (Arctostaphylos) which seem to be very popular for ornamental purpose in the US. They seem to be relatively unknown in Europe (apart from the two species native to Europe). Hardiness could probably a problem in cold areas here.
But not only that, fruit seems to be edible as well - same goes for the european species. Does anyone have experience growing any of these plants?
Is it worth growing these plants for the fruit and are there differences in taste and fruit quality?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Arctostaphylos sp. / Manzanita
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »
We have several varieties in San Diego County, none of which have fruit that I would seek out. The traditional uses of the fruit were to trigger constipation or for use as a laxative depending on stage of ripeness, or at least that is my understanding.

The wood is quite beautiful, and the bark that is shed off each year makes an excellent tea that tastes similar to raspberries.

There are several types, some have several trunks emerging from a single burl, others have typical tree trunks.

I don't think they will do all that well in Austria, as they can handle very limited frost. If you want to try, Madrone may do well for you, it's a similar tree in the Heath family that grows near Napa Valley.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
The bearberry manzanita its the most cold hardy and can be grown for sure in Austria.
Another one that might survive is the hill manzanita wich is said to be hardy to zone 6.https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64173/

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 04:34:35 AM »
Another plant of interest is the Texas Persimmon. It looks quite similar to a manzanita, but apparently the fruit is well received.