Author Topic: Sugar Apple Harvest  (Read 11862 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Apple Harvest
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »
Soren until the 1890's when pinks mammoth first turned up from South America in the shape of a few mailed seeds, it was wall to wall sugar apples on the annona front.They remain the most popular annona in yards in northern australia and no one seems to know the source of local sugar apples.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
From the shape of the skin, this is a different strain from that of Noel's but probably has a common gene. One of Noel's Big SA has a skin that is partly similar to that of Mike's Giant SA shown here.

Another out of season but less runty giant sugar apple that can't crack the 2 lb barrier.I hope to crack the 3lb barrier during the season in 6 months.This particular type has very small seeds and many seedless section yet has a great taste.It will be the last oneouta season one  and I don't know how I missed it.What out FGM  weighing your whoppers because this bad boys big brothers will be back in town!
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
It use to be that everything is big in America - at least when I was there back in 1989; are the Aussies trying to spoil that reputation with giant fruits? Or is the origin really an Asian cultivar.?

HAHA, that was in Texas! Texas is just one part of America. If you go to Vermont or Oregon you would have a very different impression of America.
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 01:48:15 AM »
Lol - very true; Dallas-Fort Worth to be precise  8)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »

I bet the atemoyas over there are big.After the mammoths here everything else is small.I might need BMc to help me identify this type that I picked up today.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:52 AM »
On reflection the pictured type is just a variation on Pinks Mammoth.None were more than about 6 or 7 lbs at the market today but the taste and relative seedlessness will be the clinchers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
An update on the sugar apple on scales below is that an unauthorized person ate it while I was at work. Luckily the perpetrator kept the 7 seeds it contained.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »
That massive bad-boy had ONLY SEVEN SEEDS????? Good god, that's excellent in my book! 
✌🏽

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk