Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283599 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #500 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
Pineapple Pleasure
I was finally able to finish this huge mango. Since I bought it semi ripe about 8 days ago, it could have been a tad bit over ripe at sampling. However I did not detect any funky tastes found in other over ripe mangoes. Sweet, rich, and mostly fiber-less flesh. To me it tasted very similar to Taralay (which was very good) except for that PP had that extra *umph* as an additional flavor- pineapple and something else I just can't identify. The flesh around the seed was like eating mango pudding- soft, sweet and fiber-less. And near the skin was where the most exceptionally sweet and flavored flesh was found. Not as pungent as Fruit Punch but highly enjoyable to consume non the less without killing one's appetite.

Gary
What a lovely tasting little mango. Small, burn your throat sweetness with very little fiber. It had a lingering flavor profile to it akin to how mint remains with you after consuming it. I won't consider it a rich mango, but very enjoyable and a unique eating experience compared to other mangoes. I'm going to plant one.

Edgar
I thought my 2 remaining Edgars would have been very overripe at the time of the sampling but there were not. The black spots on the exterior barely penetrated through the skin and into the flesh. Sweet, fiberless, deep orange flesh. I felt they tasted much better  than the Edgars I sampled earlier last week. And considering how they held up well since purchasing ripe  8 days, maybe some commercial growing potential here (?) with this cv. Very enjoyable.

Coconut Cream and LZ
My samples turned out to be very bland with no sweet. The Coconut Creams had an oily mouth feel to it again.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 30, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Ate a couple of Coconut Creams yesterday.  HOLY MOLY!! What a great tasting mango!  Distinct coconut taste, very juicy!  Very impressed.  My top two as of now are Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream

I know, right.  You could put together a decent starting 5 with Zills lineup:

Sweet Tart
Coconut Cream
Fruit Punch
Pineapple Pleasure
Lemon Zest

As awesomely delicious as those mangos are, I would feel a bit disappointed if I'd have planted one of them in my sole mango spot instead of Maha Chanok. I feel the MC has just a slightly more complex, more "elegant" flavor... plus better looks and aroma.  I can't wait to share with friends and neighbors - next year hopefully.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
Pineapple Pleasure
 Not as pungent as Fruit Punch but highly enjoyable to consume non the less without killing one's appetite.

I agree about the Fruit Punch being extremely sweet and large. I enjoyed the taste so much I devoured 3/4 of the fruit in a single shot before dinner, and it left me with little appetite and sugar hangover.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 30, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
Dont know where this aroma is coming from with the Mahachanok.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 30, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Ate a couple of Coconut Creams yesterday.  HOLY MOLY!! What a great tasting mango!  Distinct coconut taste, very juicy!  Very impressed.  My top two as of now are Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream

I know, right.  You could put together a decent starting 5 with Zills lineup:

Sweet Tart
Coconut Cream
Fruit Punch
Pineapple Pleasure
Lemon Zest

As awesomely delicious as those mangos are, I would feel a bit disappointed if I'd have planted one of them in my sole mango spot instead of Maha Chanok. I feel the MC has just a slightly more complex, more "elegant" flavor... plus better looks and aroma.  I can't wait to share with friends and neighbors - next year hopefully.

agree that maha is right there or better than those
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 30, 2015, 01:51:37 PM »
Hey Guys,

Here is a review of a maha chanock from my tree. I intended to do this like two weeks ago, as a video review of the tree itself and of the fruit tasting complete with pictures, but there is no memory left on my phone for video and my scale needs a new watch size battery so some aspects will not be present.

My experience growing the tree: I purchased this from excalibur maybe 6 years ago and only about a year ago has it been in the ground. It is a very slow grower and for a while was testing my patience recalling a year where there was only maybe a couple flushes. Overall though if you are patient, this is a key selling point. When I compare to my coconut cream: rapid growth both wide and tall of spindly branches, and my seedling ivory: somewhat fast, tall upright and lanky (like my LZ) the maha is an ideal mango to have growing on your property. It responds well to tip pruning and the growth can be directed and compactly controlled think "bonsai." This was the first year it has flowered and fruited and produced 12 mangos.

Fruit Reveiw: this mango I am reviewing is slightly past its peak eating imo, I agree with Harry and Jeff that you want to eat this mango when it has mostly colored up, still slightly firm, and when the top flesh near the stem has some give under pressure. This mango pictured had colored up completly for two days and had some uniform give, but was not soft and watery (see pic of spoon bite missing). It was about 6 in long, weight unknown. The MC is not a large mango but it is not disappointingly small either with a balanced flesh to seed ratio allowing for one to satisfy.
The smell outside before cutting I would describe as a mixture of sweet citrus and herbal turnip. On a good allergy free day I can smell them on my counter 4 ft away.  The outward appearance  imo is gorgeous blush over bright yellow lacking anthracnose scarring. The flesh is not watery, and it is not creamy, but smooth and gelatinous in the vein of Ivory, nam doc, and the flesh is bright orange. There is no fiber present except near the sides of the seed. The taste was sweet with a classical mango flavor and a twist of NDM thrown in. I didn't experience the coke flavor like I saw in the sweet tarts I have eaten. I did notice some peppery bitterness the closer I ate to the rind that resembled Edward but much more mild.

Overall it's not my favorite mango, but there is no doubt it is in my top 10 in flavor. If one could only plant one tree in their yard honestly I'd recomend this as a choice, disease resistant, easy to grow, beautiful and  tasty mango hands down a winner.

-Joep450

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
Joe,

Beautiful pics, nice review! If your tree put out 12 fruits at that size, I'm hopeful I'll have a crop that size or even larger next year :) When mine fruited this year it was still sort of a Y-shaped "mango stick" but it has since flushed and turned into a little tree.

p.s. My nose could pick up the Maha scent from about 2 feet away on my desk.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
Funny........Gerry (Lycheeluva) was the very first person that I ever heard say that the Maha Chanok had a different aroma.  He said that he felt it had a turnip smell.  I thought he was nuts.  LOL......I guess we have some mango bloodhounds in our midst with their ultra sensitive noses. My nose obviously does not have the sensitivity that some of yours' obviously have.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 30, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
Funny........Gerry (Lycheeluva) was the very first person that I ever heard say that the Maha Chanok had a different aroma.  He said that he felt it had a turnip smell.  I thought he was nuts.  LOL......I guess we have some mango bloodhounds in our midst with their ultra sensitive noses. My nose obviously does not have the sensitivity that some of yours' obviously have.

Some also have imaginative minds with their descriptions...and this may become Sheehan's favorite variety with its phallic reference.  ;) :P
- Rob

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:48 AM »
ST Maui  - Mango Review

This meaty mango from Tropical Acres in WPB looks kind of like a Fruit Punch.  It has a complex, fruity-resinous flavor profile that I'd place in the Caribbean (e.g., Julie/Graham/Bombay) corner of the tasting table. When cut open, the inside appeared marbled and smelled a bit "tart."  Each time I took a bite, I noticed something different. The first taste was peach plus the sour twang of a pineapple. Next was pomegranate juice.  Then syrupy sweet berry flavors.  A distinctive resin flavor with the bite of allspice.  I regard this is an "excellent" tasting mango with very appealing flavors that complement each other well. I could imagine it ranking in the Top 3 or Top 5 at a good mango tasting.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
ST Maui , Maha Chanok, and Taimour are three mangoes that have really complex flavor profile that I like very much,   I have gone as far as recommend to the local mango board, that they include the ST Maui in their trials in the experimental station.  for a few good reasons,  The tree in one private collection here was very productive, the fruit itself is very attractive in local growing conditions, only tried one fruit, but remember the flesh being firm.  and the tree was not as big as the others in the collection that were planted at the same time, which makes me think its not a vigorous grower, and easy to control.

Who knows maybe some day this will be the variety to replace the Tommy Atkins commercially?  appreciate the review,  I do not have the talent to distinguish the different aromas, or flavors like some of the members have.   I just eat them, and say, ok, I like this one,  I like mangoes that just taste like mangoes, but also love the ones that are like roller coaster rides.   ST Maui is like that. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
Got pics of Tiamour? Any review or more info about the fruit / tree would be interesting.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 01, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
Got pics of Tiamour? Any review or more info about the fruit / tree would be interesting.

Sadly I did not take a picture of it,  its green when ripe. popular in Egypt.   I often research varieties for potential commercial value,  the Taimour would almost be perfect if it were not for the problem of color.   of course for mango pulp/juice that is not an issue.  in this report you can see some stats on it, highest taste score among those tested,  basically immune to Jellyseed.  firm flesh, good size.  very low fiber.  very sweet.    Poly seed, which I did plant,  growing very slowly in container.

http://www.manarasoft.com/pdf/P42.pdf
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 02, 2015, 03:12:30 PM »
Last of the bought mangoes:

Orange Sherbet
It seems like this mango and LZ are best enjoyed when they are wrinkly. I loved OS. Tasted exactly like orange flavored ice cream. Extremely sweet and creamy with the right amount of orange flavor. I was scraping as much flesh off under peel and seed to get more of this mango. Delicious. I prefer this to PKK.

Lemon Zest
Was a bigger mango than OS (about 2x its size) and the orange/lemony flavor was much more intense. Extremely sweet and orangey. Much better than the earlier samples I had. I actually couldn't finish all of this mango and left a side for later as it was too intense for me in one sitting. The only negative was a bitter, lime zest taste in the flesh when scraping under the skin in this sample.

Coconut Cream
Eating this mango conjured up thoughts of eating a coconut flavored pie. If it was a bit drier this would have been an outstanding mango. A more intense coconut flavor than Pickering. I'm gonna plant mines this week.

Gary
I'm becoming a fan of this cv. This and my 2nd to last one reminded me of Fruit Punch- not as intense but up there to stand out among other mangoes. Great, unique flavor. Very sweet and it had that lovely, chaulky texture/flavor that I love in mangoes that have them despite being ripe. All in a nice package. I'm gonna be planting one.

Top 5 Rankings for this tasting:
1. Sweet Tart
2. Orange Sherbert
3. Lemon Zest
4. Gary
5. Taralay
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
I also plan to plant a Gary tree.  Loved it!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
Just got back from Walter Zill's in Boynton and I ate a ripe Honey Kiss drop with my lunch. It was smaller than a fist and what I consider the ideal size for one person. This mango is juicy, it has nice melts-in-your-mouth flesh texture with no fiber I recall. It tastes sweet and mellow, like a honeydew melon and beneath the skin has just a hint of the Lemon Zest / Orange Sherbet flavors.  Very smooth taste  - I did not encounter one funky, tart, resiny, stringy, spicy, or bitter aspect in it. I would rate it as "excellent" and put it in the mild & sweet corner of the tasting table.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
Does anyone know how precocious Honey Kiss, Venus, and Maha are?  Im a zone pusher and don't want to wait 5 years to get some mangos from a tree.  Thanks

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »
Does anyone know how precocious Honey Kiss, Venus, and Maha are?  Im a zone pusher and don't want to wait 5 years to get some mangos from a tree.  Thanks

They are all fairly precocious, not so much as Pickering but pretty darn close to it.
- Rob

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »
An unripe Honey Kiss

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
Thats a purdy petite mango!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2015, 11:15:46 PM »
Perfectly ripe, just picked from the tree today.

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Another beauty, one of Sheehan 's favorites.

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:17 PM »
Found this Providence hiding in the top of the canopy.  Dont usually see them this colorful in the tree.

- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 11, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »
I tasted Zill mango P-22 today. Because the skin had become mottled with black spots I was sure I had let it set past its serve-by date.
I fully expected to try one bite and then toss it in the yard.
But, appearance not withstanding, it was yet another delicious mango, sweet and rich, fruity.
Only one bite, at the top of the seed, was less than wonderful (and lots of fine mangos are less delicious near the seed).

Not a must have, but a reminder that one can't always judge a book by its cover.
Picture below is of the skin. The flesh had disappeared.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 11, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
ST Maui  - Mango Review

This meaty mango from Tropical Acres in WPB looks kind of like a Fruit Punch.  It has a complex, fruity-resinous flavor profile that I'd place in the Caribbean (e.g., Julie/Graham/Bombay) corner of the tasting table. When cut open, the inside appeared marbled and smelled a bit "tart."  Each time I took a bite, I noticed something different. The first taste was peach plus the sour twang of a pineapple. Next was pomegranate juice.  Then syrupy sweet berry flavors.  A distinctive resin flavor with the bite of allspice.  I regard this is an "excellent" tasting mango with very appealing flavors that complement each other well. I could imagine it ranking in the Top 3 or Top 5 at a good mango tasting.

That is bird Fruit of Paradise
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.