Author Topic: Multi-type Mangoes on one tree?  (Read 1197 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
Multi-type Mangoes on one tree?
« on: September 26, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
I have a friend who bought a Citrus tree that had five different grafts. Can you do this with a Mango tree and does anyone sell these? If not...why? Thanks

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-type Mangoes on one tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 06:45:22 PM »
Yes you can have multiple varieties on one tree. Cocktail tree are usually not the best things to have . Multiple reasons one reason is cuz some varieties of some grow a lot faster than others .
And it happens to citrus a lot then you have this other issue if you don't know where the limb is grafted you accidentally cut it off .
That issue is mangoes there's so many different varieties that some people may like while others varieties they won't like .
With citrus they may add most popular citrus varieties naval orange , pineapple orange , Meyer lemon , eureka lemon , Persian lime , cara cara / red navel and murcott tangerine

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »
How do we get new members to Buse the search function before posting questions ?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:09:05 PM »
How do we get new members to Buse the search function before posting questions ?

Preaching to the choir...and longtime members need to use it, too
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »
I mark and label my grafts so i don't accidentally cut them off. Nurseries are in the business of selling trees so why would they put three varieties on one tree. When they can sell you three different trees of different varieties

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:12:00 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 10:20:03 PM »
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:31:28 PM by Homeby5 »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »
I have a friend who bought a Citrus tree that had five different grafts. Can you do this with a Mango tree and does anyone sell these? If not...why? Thanks
Nurseries don't sell multigraft trees because there are so many varieties of mangoes. Also it probably isn't worth the time for the nursery to graft multiple varieties on. It would be better for you to taste some, choose the ones you like then graft them on a rootstock.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:24:26 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 10:23:46 PM »
Nurseries don't seel multigraft trees because there are so many varieties of mangoes. Also it probably isn't worth the time for the nursery to graft multiple varieties on. It would be better for you to taste some, choose the ones you like then graft them on a rootstock.

Nurseries DO sell multi-grafted citrus trees.  They are multi-grafted by the certified growers in Florida.
- Rob

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
Nurseries don't seel multigraft trees because there are so many varieties of mangoes. Also it probably isn't worth the time for the nursery to graft multiple varieties on. It would be better for you to taste some, choose the ones you like then graft them on a rootstock.

Nurseries DO sell multi-grafted citrus trees.  They are multi-grafted by the certified growers in Florida.
bsbullie, I was talking about mangoes, not citrus although there probably are places that sell multigrafted mango trees. Just from a point of view from someone who lives in FL, would rather try the mangoes first then pick out the varieties you want to graft out as there are lots of mango varieties.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »

Jaboticaba45 was talking about mangoes . The multi-graft citrus is sold in Florida but usually not recommend it from citrus nursery at least all the ones I talk about it .
I've seen them for some graft thrive and the other struggles to survive all on same tree .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:48:21 PM by Nyuu »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 10:47:38 PM »
For a multi grafted mango tree I think a good combination would be Dwarf Hawaiian Pickering and Honey Kiss as far as a multi grafted Citrus maybe Dancy navel orange and a honey murcott :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 10:47:47 PM »

Jaboticaba45 was talking about mangoes . The multi-graft citrus is sold in Florida but usually not recommend it from citrus nursery at least all the ones I talk about it .
I've seen them for same graft thrive and the other struggles to survive .

You are correct, I misread it.  I agree with ehat you said, multi-grafted citrus are a waste.  One type thrives and forces the others to fail.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 10:53:40 PM »

I've seen them for same graft thrive and the other struggles to survive .

You are correct, I misread it.  I agree with ehat you said, multi-grafted citrus are a waste.  One type thrives and forces the others to fail.
I think someone mentioned that on another thread today because I was contemplating cleft grafting Dancy Tangerine onto a mature Meyers lemon just to have a few tangerines for Christmas