Author Topic: Mango ID?  (Read 1060 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Mango ID?
« on: October 05, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
I was talking to a contractor who was replacing my roof. He was telling me about a mango he had down in Kissimmee. He said the fruit was very small, very sweet but also had a really small seed. He said the owner called it a pineapple something. To complicate things his English wasn't too great.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango ID?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »
Maybe pineapple pleasure mango
https://youtu.be/9gkPOxyXMH0

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »
Yes that what i was thinking, a mango i heard of (with pineapple) in the name!! Or otherwise you could find out by asking the local people/grocers in that area about this . if its really small maybe it might be a mini mango?
Maybe only other I can think is pina colada mango and maybe if people forget the name or got lost in translation pina colada mango is small mango fruit

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »
I was talking to a contractor who was replacing my roof. He was telling me about a mango he had down in Kissimmee. He said the fruit was very small, very sweet but also had a really small seed. He said the owner called it a pineapple something. To complicate things his English wasn't too great.

Without pictures, I'd bet its a random seedling.
Outside of the enthusiast circles, these new Zill mangos are pretty unheard of.

Also in the Orlando/Lakeland area, having grafting mango trees that will survive unprotected through winter is a relatively new phenomenon.
Most of my family and friend and now growing the rootstock if they bought grafted trees.

I can understand people referring to any yellow slightly sour mango as a pineapple-mango.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »

Not if fruit was very small.
- Rob

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »

Not if fruit was very small.
quote author=Nyuu link=topic=41241.msg405772#msg405772 date=1601936258]
Yes that what i was thinking, a mango i heard of (with pineapple) in the name!! Or otherwise you could find out by asking the local people/grocers in that area about this . if its really small maybe it might be a mini mango?
Maybe only other I can think is pina colada mango and maybe if people forget the name or got lost in translation pina colada mango is small mango fruit
[/quote]

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 11:23:20 PM »
I highly doubt its a Pina Colada or any of the newer Zill varieties.

It may be a long shot, and grasping at straws but I believe there is a small mango from Cuba or PR that supposedly tastes like pineapple.

Of course, it could just be a random seedling of a turpentine or something.
- Rob

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »
He was Mexican trying to explain to me in partial English. He said they were ripe about the size of a fist and next to no seeds. We are at the mid point of my roof project so I will ask him after the inspectors approve the project and they come to finish it. Ill see if I can get a better description. I remember reading something about a small mango from Cuba or PR as well. Ill go hunt through some descriptions.