Author Topic: Temperature control release fertilizers  (Read 7057 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Temperature control release fertilizers
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
A good friend of mine, realizing I get lazy and often skip fertilization schedules, recommended that I purchase a temperature controlled release fertilizer. He has friends in the Ag industry and said that the Temperature controlled release fertilizers are much better than the other slow release types that are based off of moisture alone because there is less waste and the plants get more nutrients when it is hot when they are more metabolically active and get very little fertilizer release when temps are cold and the plants are dormant. He especially recommended I try it on my potted plants as frequent watering can wash away much of the regular fertilizers.

He said that Nutricote was something that's readily available online and Mark in Texas recommended Polyon. There wasn't a Polyon distributor near me and they had so many formulations, it was difficult to navigate their site so I decided to go with Nutricote. The Nutricote was very expensive to buy in small amounts from EBay and Amazon, around $10/lbs. I finally found a company that sold it in bulk but it was sold under the name Florikan out of Florida. This product uses Nutricote, it looks like the exact same thing except this product says two stage. I got the 18-6-8 formulation with Micros in the 180 day but they sent me the 270 day, I'm not complaining. Here are some pictures from the bag I received.

Anyone here use this relatively new technology in their fertilizer regime? I will be using these in my raised beds and pots. I still have issues with my ultra high pH soil for my in ground trees so I will need to lower the pH of the soil with Sulfur as I have been doing, for this fertilizer to really be effective for my in ground trees. One application should last my lazy butt a whole year but I plan on using reduced rates(VS the recommended application rates) so that I can drench with non controlled release fertilizers during growth spurts when I know my plants definitely need more nutrients.

Anybody have suggestion? Thanks,

Simon

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature control release fertilizers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
I heard good stuff about it online in other groups but never used it myself. Let us know how it does over time

Only thing i see is its missing Zinc. Not sure if that is bad or not
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:49:11 PM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
Yah, the lack of zinc is a glaring deficiency.
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the input! I'll be sure to add zinc. I will continue with my foliar sprays with minors and micros as I don't trust the roots being able to uptake much for my in ground trees at least. I noticed this product being advertised towards Orchid growers. I'll let you everyone know how my plants perform with the addition of this fertilizer.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »
Just got an 8# bag of this 15-9-12.  Still working on my Polyon though.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDGMHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sulfur 6.0%
Boron .02%
Copper .05%
Iron 0.46%
Maganese 0.06%
Molybdenum 0.02%
Zinc O.05%

More info - http://www.plantersplace.com/products/osmocote_outdoor_indoor

Over 12 years, in the field and pots, I have added 12 mo. 18-4-9 Polyon when planting at least 10,000 trees, grapes, roses, and such, and that includes tropical fruit trees in the greenhouse.  And yes, that includes mangos too (horrors!)  Glad they don't read this forum.  ;D

Mark

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:56:05 AM by Mark in Texas »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
I like Osmocot especially their Plus. I hope the Temperature controlled stuff will give my plants more nutrients in our Summers, pretty much the only season it's warm enough for vegetative growth in Mangos, in my yard at least. It's still in the high fifties or low sixties at night. I recently pruned off some mango fruit when we had day temps of 90F but the cold nights are stimulating secondary blooms. I need a way to maximize Summer growth.

Simon

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
I think time release fertilizers are a good option.   Time release fertilizers is more expensive, but saves on labor costs.  Temperature and moisture affect release rates in "regular" time release fertilizers; I'm not sure how much of this "new" "temperature" technology is marketing vs. performance compared to existing time release fertilizer.

Last time I got time release fertilizer, it was about $60 per 50lb bag for 12 month release.  It was on closeout from a national fertilizer company. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

simon_grow

• View Profile

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:57:13 PM »
Here is some info http://www.florikan.com/phone/literature_index.html#lit-hort

Here is an advertisement https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AQk6erHZwo8
Simon

I use a combination of time release and "quicker" release fertilizer for younger trees.  This ensures the trees have nutrition and allows for more nutrition during the summer months.  ECHO supposedly had problems growing fruit trees, until they started using time release fertilizers.  Time release helps to ensure consistent nutrition.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 02:16:58 AM »
Nutricote or Floridian is the best. I have had best results with the triple 13 and triple 14 with minors.
Your mix should work just as well. The longer release time means you can add more without burn. Summer hot temps means 270 days is more like 120 day during summer. I swear by nutricote nothing else is even close for me except maybe liquid nutrition but that is a lot of work. eBay has 50lb bag nutricote triple 14 for $135 delivered and has perfect blend with sulfur  and minors.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
Nutricote or Floridian is the best. I have had best results with the triple 13 and triple 14 with minors.
Your mix should work just as well. The longer release time means you can add more without burn. Summer hot temps means 270 days is more like 120 day during summer. I swear by nutricote nothing else is even close for me except maybe liquid nutrition but that is a lot of work. eBay has 50lb bag nutricote triple 14 for $135 delivered and has perfect blend with sulfur  and minors.

The Nutricote 13-13-13 is void of Ca and S and the 14-14-14 is void of Mg....all important secondarys.  Also, P is one of the most abused macros.  I've gotten away from any balanced mixes like that choosing only low P foods.  Besides, it's high P foods that induce stretch.....if that's an issue.  Pictured blend of Polyon is complete (sans Mg) and has a low P value which I like.   Don't mean to play the "my plant food can beat yours" drill.  If it gets you what you want that's all that counts.  Now throw in the nutritional value of your soil and you can toss all this soil chemistry stuff out the door.  :D

Sayan128

• Chino hills California, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »

I use a combination of time release and "quicker" release fertilizer for younger trees.  This ensures the trees have nutrition and allows for more nutrition during the summer months.  ECHO supposedly had problems growing fruit trees, until they started using time release fertilizers.  Time release helps to ensure consistent nutrition.
[/quote]

What kind of quicker release fertilizers specifically are you using and do you worry about root burn with those?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
I have a long list of fast release fertilizers including all the Dyna Grow products and each product I use is selected for a specific purpose. I use Muracid for my Blueberry and Miracle Fruit and usually use Dynagrow products for foliar and soil drenches. I use Iron chelate EDDHA for soil drenches. I pretty much have many different nutritional supplements including silicon, Epsom Salts, CalMag, Sulfur.

I use a hybrid approach and also use lots of organic fertilizers because I believe in feeding the soil to feed your trees but I do use chemical fertilizers to supplement my trees, especially my in ground trees, because of my high pH soils. I'll take some pictures or get the names of some of the fertilizers soon. I have specific fertilizers for Citrus and other trees but I can't remember the names.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
Here are some of the other fertilizers I use. I used up the last bit of my Vigoro fertilizer from Home Depot and I'm switching to the Nutricote. The Grow Power is what mainly use for my trees, it has a really good blend for our soils here.

I've also started incorporating lots of Pumice into my container growing mixes. Because my in ground soil is heavy clay, I'm starting to incorporate lots of Pumice into my soils in order to increase permeability. I used to use Turface MVP for increasing permeability but it was expensive and the shipping was astronomical. The Pumice can be found at many nurseries.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
Not shown is the Dyna Grow "Grow" and "Foliage Pro".

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »
More

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
Wow that's alot of stuff to have to keep track of to give to plants

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
I only give some of those when I notice a deficiency. For ground applications, I rely a lot on the organic fertilizers. I'll see how well the temperature controlled release fertilizers work and report back.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »
Here is a picture of the Florikan/Nutricote granules after they have been sitting in reverse osmosis water for about a week with an average temp of around 60F. The water is still clear even after I swirl it and the granules are the same size as the dry granules.

Simon

Sayan128

• Chino hills California, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
wow Simon! I think I need to do a whole bunch more reading before I can understand the proper usage of all of your fertilizers! ;)

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
Here is a picture of the Florikan/Nutricote granules after they have been sitting in reverse osmosis water for about a week with an average temp of around 60F. The water is still clear even after I swirl it and the granules are the same size as the dry granules.

Simon

try testing it on a seed starting heat mat see how that works

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
More

Am like you when it comes to collecting plant goodies.   I used to have a problem with citrus chlorosis, mainly those on Flying Dragon and the S. Ag. seemed to make matters worse doing foliar sprays and with a surfactant added for increased uptake.  If memory serves me correct one of the most important (and often neglected) micros is not found in it - Mn, manganese.  Keyplex 350WP as a foliar spray addition has been the silver bullet for citrus chlorosis and everything on my farm including my vineyard which has so much vigor it's out of control now.  I have not fed the vineyard since spring 2016 either.

Another organic addition are the meals, blood and bone. 

These vines and thousands of other field grown plants received Polyon 18-4-9 and a drench of Myco-Apply Soluble Maxx (mychorzzia) upon planting.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »
More

Am like you when it comes to collecting plant goodies.   I used to have a problem with citrus chlorosis, mainly those on Flying Dragon and the S. Ag. seemed to make matters worse doing foliar sprays and with a surfactant added for increased uptake.  If memory serves me correct one of the most important (and often neglected) micros is not found in it - Mn, manganese.  Keyplex 350WP as a foliar spray addition has been the silver bullet for citrus chlorosis and everything on my farm including my vineyard which has so much vigor it's out of control now.  I have not fed the vineyard since spring 2016 either.

These vines and thousands of other field grown plants received Polyon 18-4-9 and a drench of Myco-Apply Soluble Maxx (mychorzzia) upon planting.

can you give us a review on Polyon 18-4-9 the good and the bad ?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
More

Thanks for the info Mark. I've been having great success with the Grow Power products and the Southern Ag products. I believe SA Citrus nutritional spray has Manganese but their Palm spray has more so I alternate every month or two. The additional Manganese in the Palm Nutritional spray is great for Mangos.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
can you give us a review on Polyon 18-4-9 the good and the bad ?

I have applied it to about 10,000 Xmas trees, vineyard, 60 or so fruit, nut, shade trees around my house and all tropical fruit trees/plants in the greenhouse if that tells anything.   I would think Harrell's in Florida would stock Polyon.  It's temp and moisture control so your plants will get the goodies when they need them most - actively growing in a warm condition.  I helped plant 12,000 grapevines up the road.   We bought pallets of it.

Very popular with golf course grounds keepers too.