Author Topic: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!  (Read 52872 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Earthquake on big island Ha. made new eruption Pahoa evacuated !!
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2018, 05:09:36 AM »
Latest earthquakes indicate lava has moved furthered down the rift zone to area below intersection of Hwy 132 and Noni Farms road. Hope it does not come up close to 132 as that would block our exit out. And would block everyone's exit that lives on the coastal Red road. I think they are going to have to open 130 back up if that happens. All they need to do is throw some metal plates over existing 4 inch cracks in pavement. There is no steam coming out of those cracks, at least not yet.
Victoria neeson​  highway 132 has started to crack... some big cracks and land deformation
Where did you get that information? It is not correct, at least not yet. The road that had big cracks on it is the Pohiki Rd, which branches off from highway 132.
Oscar

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »
Latest earthquakes indicate lava has moved furthered down the rift zone to area below intersection of Hwy 132 and Noni Farms road. Hope it does not come up close to 132 as that would block our exit out. And would block everyone's exit that lives on the coastal Red road. I think they are going to have to open 130 back up if that happens. All they need to do is throw some metal plates over existing 4 inch cracks in pavement. There is no steam coming out of those cracks, at least not yet.
Victoria neeson​  highway 132 has started to crack... some big cracks and land deformation
Where did you get that information? It is not correct, at least not yet. The road that had big cracks on it is the Pohiki Rd, which branches off from highway 132.
I saw it on live stream from people on place. But as i see it's true

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »
The road along the coast the improvements were soon abandoned, and forgotten. I think that was really reckless. We need those roads right now! I hope this wakes up government a little bit? But not holding my breath.

No kidding!  If they think building and maintaining roads is expensive, wait until they see the economic losses from prolongued, needless evacuations of an area where several thousand people live.  :Þ
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
lavapix.com
@lavapixcom
New fissure east and downhill of PGV. Several vents building up.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
I saw it on live stream from people on place. But as i see it's true
No it's not true. No cracks on highway 132, and it's still open. But newest fissure just opened this morning about 1 mile away from highway 132.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
lavapix.com
@lavapixcom
New fissure east and downhill of PGV. Several vents building up.
There is only one crack right now, with minor splattering, but yes it's expected more will open in that area because there were a lot of quakes right there.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
The road along the coast the improvements were soon abandoned, and forgotten. I think that was really reckless. We need those roads right now! I hope this wakes up government a little bit? But not holding my breath.

No kidding!  If they think building and maintaining roads is expensive, wait until they see the economic losses from prolongued, needless evacuations of an area where several thousand people live.  :Þ
I wish i was kidding. The government here acts like most people do in day to day life, they leave everything for last moment and only do something when dire need is right in their face. Probably now they will wait until they get emergency money for federal government to improve and make alternate routes.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:48 PM »
This is a pretty good article in NY Times explaining in lay men's terms what is going on.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/12/us/kilauea-volcano-lava-leilani-estates-hawaii.html
They only forget to mention important fact that area of possible projectiles from explosion are all inside the national park, which has been closed for a couple of days.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
It is good to see you Oscar, I hope you, your family and everyone in the island is safe.
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
COH Civil Defense
@CivilDefenseHI
Public Works/Police have verified reports of a new fissure, no. 18, on Halekamahina Loop Road to the west, or Kalapana side of Highway 132.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2018, 04:37:32 PM »
lavapix.com
@lavapixcom
Location of 17-18-19 based on video. Someone tell Civil Beat its only 3-4 miles to the ocean.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:07 PM »
It is good to see you Oscar, I hope you, your family and everyone in the island is safe.
Everybody here safe so far. Nobody has even had the tiniest injury, despite all those houses burning up.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
COH Civil Defense
@CivilDefenseHI
Public Works/Police have verified reports of a new fissure, no. 18, on Halekamahina Loop Road to the west, or Kalapana side of Highway 132.
That road 132 is still open, but only for local residents. And it looks like it may be closed soon as the road has a big dip in it where lava could pool. There will still be one way out via coastal road, but will be even a bigger detour.
Turns out you were right about the cracks on the road, but pretty small ones with no steaming, not fissures fortunately.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »
Mileka Lincoln
Mileka Lincoln
@MilekaLincoln
#BREAKING #LeilaniEstatesEruption #HappeningNow: Incredible new video of fissure 18, which opened up near Halekamahina Loop Road between fissure 16 and 17 to the west, or Kalapana side, of Highway 132 just before 7 PM;
https://twitter.com/MilekaLincoln/status/995939531911188480

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
Mileka Lincoln
@MilekaLincoln
·
56 min
#LeilaniEstatesEruption UPDATE: New aerial footage from USGS shows just how active & large fissure 17 off Halekamahina Lp Rd has become as @CivilDefenseHI confirms 19th fissure broke out in Lanipuna Gardens near Hinalo Rd (link: https://instagram.com/p/BixCtgLA-74/) instagram.com/p/BixCtgLA-74/ @HawaiiNewsNow #HINews #HawaiiNews

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »
Ring the ALARM Luisport!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »
Fissure 17 is 1400 feet long, but not the biggest. I think fissure 8 was bigger. Most amazing thing about 17 is loud explosions. We can hear them here, several miles away. Sounds like thunder, or giant sledge hammer. This is the only fissure that had done that.
Good news is that the lava is moving away from us and towards the ocean. If it empties into ocean then it stops doing property damage and endangering any life.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
Mileka Lincoln
@MilekaLincoln
·
1 h
#LeilaniEstatesEruption UPDATE: Following overnight reports from residents, @CivilDefenseHI can now confirm a 20th fissure has broken out in Lanipuna Gardens subdivision northeast of fissure 19

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »
Hawaii EMA
@Hawaii_EMA
·
44 min
Please be advised Highway 130 in the vicinity of Leilani Estates WILL NOT be opening to local traffic this morning as previously announced. New cracks have developed overnight.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2018, 01:48:38 AM »
Hawaii EMA
@Hawaii_EMA
·
44 min
Please be advised Highway 130 in the vicinity of Leilani Estates WILL NOT be opening to local traffic this morning as previously announced. New cracks have developed overnight.

They did open 130, but not till 1 pm. I just drove over all the metal plates on the road. The one plate that is steaming had sunk a few inches. Who knows how long it will remain open? That is the real question.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2018, 10:40:35 AM »
*Sigh*, hate watching this as a spectator.  I know how to cut and weld steel; I could make something a lot more durable than just some loose sheet steel across the road....

Of course, in the end it depends on what the volcano does.  I've seen some rifts opened up by tectonics from Bárðarbunga that are veritable canyons.  If it wants a rift there, it's going to make one.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
*Sigh*, hate watching this as a spectator.  I know how to cut and weld steel; I could make something a lot more durable than just some loose sheet steel across the road....

Of course, in the end it depends on what the volcano does.  I've seen some rifts opened up by tectonics from Bárðarbunga that are veritable canyons.  If it wants a rift there, it's going to make one.
Not regular sheet metal. Supposed to be high temperature resistant plates.
BTW, this episode shows how dumb it is to build a geothermal plant right on an active volcano, and especially dumb right into a residential zone. The plant is being shut down right now. I've seen them hauling the equipment they can salvage away in large trucks. The whole plant will be kaput. And if lava goes over the 3 remaining pressurized vents there will be giant uncontrollable and long lasting explosions. (This already happened once in 1990). They are trying to cool them down with water now, depressurize them, and cap and kill the vents. But this could all take weeks. And the lava is extremely close by.
Oscar

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii
Breaking NATIONAL GUARD JUST ORDERED A MASSIVE EVAC

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

Evacuation affects about 1000 people on the island

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »
Just saw this:

Hawaii
Breaking NATIONAL GUARD JUST ORDERED A MASSIVE EVAC

BREAKING ON FOX NEWS

Evacuation affects about 1000 people on the island

This is not yet on place, authorities are on preparations to it due the danger of ashes, stronger explosive eruptions and big quantities of gas in the air.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
​for the locals: Free masks will be distributed today 1pm - 7pm @ Cooper Ctr, Pahala Comm Ctr,Naalehu Comm Ctr, Shipman Park Pavilion.