Author Topic: 4-5 Best Mango Varieties for Compactness, Flavor Profiles, and Extended Season  (Read 11314 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
My obsessive novice opinion:
Julie
Sugarloaf
Sweet Tart
PPK
Maha Chanok

Should give you a fairly long season and a nice flavor range with FAIRLY compact trees

PPK and Sweet Tart definitely not compact trees or anything remotely compact.  Julie, for the most part, is a fungus magnet mess in SFla.
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Deleted
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 01:16:29 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:40:19 AM by weiss613 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
BSBullie you are one guy I can never say a negative word to because your opinions allowed my orchard to be like heaven BUT please come down and visit my place some day because it will be eye opening for you especially for trees growing on solid rock!!
Don't you have a recent video showing the planting? If you can point out the age of your older trees that would help.

One row at my place is of smaller trees. Graham, Cogshall, Harvest Moon Juliette, Jean Ellen, Springfels.
Out of these the most compact is Springfels, then Graham. Springfels makes just a few huge mangos but is the smallest, yet the canopy is rather thin and open..
Graham has a unique short internode growth habit which makes the canopy very dense, it needs more internal canopy thinning than most.

bsbullie

• View Profile
BSBullie you are one guy I can never say a negative word to because your opinions allowed my orchard to be like heaven BUT please come down and visit my place some day because it will be eye opening for you especially for trees growing on solid rock!!

I am not saying trees wont grow at your place or in Miami-Dade/limerock but it can be a deterrent, hamper establishment and slow growth a bit in their juvenile stage.  For the most part, your trees are still on the young side (and planting closer together can have an effect on a tree's growth...curious to see a video in 5-7 years and how much annual pruning you will have to do to avoid a true jungle).  Simetimes less us mire.

The annual growth rate of a fully mature Valencia Pride is ridiculous.  It is the fastest growing variety here in SFla.  The amount if pruning it will take to keep in control on a small yard would be exhausting and would definitely sacrifice production.

If size is not an issue, and one likes the flavor,  go for it.  If someone wants to grow it with little to no maintenance, it does make a great shade tree as it towers to 50 - 75 feet (I have seen a tree in the upper range that loses large pieces to the top of the tree annually in just a strong afternoon Tstorms (when I say large, I mean branches arm to leg caliper and a good five plus feet.  Due to its height and the wind increase at that height, it gets selectively pruned by the weather.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Ok, so definitely no Julie, PPK, Sweet Tart, or Mallika (which is too unreliable in flavor).  Lemon Zest would be hard to keep compact and the fruit clean, but I still might try to work with it.  It's one of Har's Essentials and I love it, and I'm not sure Orange Sherbet is as good.  (I've tasted LZ and PPK but not OS.)  Is there any Indian variety of mango that stands out from the rest?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:27:54 AM by johnb51 »
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Based on the trees I've observed and/or grown.

Dwarf Hawaiian (early)
Pickering
Pina colada
Honey kiss (late)

They might not win flavor awards (although I think Pina colada is up there) but they should meet you criteria.

I can't imagine that many people have had grafted trees of the recent zhpp mangos long enough to know for sure.
If your willing to take a chance then you'll have more exciting flavors for sure

bsbullie

• View Profile
Ok, so definitely no Julie, PPK, Sweet Tart, or Mallika (which is too unreliable in flavor).  Lemon Zest would be hard to keep compact and the fruit clean, but I still might try to work with it.  It's one of Har's Essentials and I love it, and I'm not sure Orange Sherbet is as good.  (I've tasted LZ and PPK but not OS.)  Is there any Indian variety of mango that stands out from the rest?

No offense to Har, who cares if its one of his essentials.  That is based on his taste alone and nothing to do with your taste or tree's physiology.
 With LZ, its not about keeping fruit clean, its about losing your crop, year after year (and running the risk of exposing your other mangoes to MBBS in a more concentrated way).

If you like PPK, you may be better off with that over LZ.  Both are on the vigorous side but PPK is cleaner and will give you your early fruit.  I am not that impressed with Dwarf Hawaiian (again, my taste...but if it came in later in the season I bet it would be ignored) and I have seen some uneven ripening to the fruit   

For Indian, if you are eliminating Mallika, then you are essentially left with Son Pari and Kesar for varieties that do well in South Florida...I would personally go with Son Pari.
- Rob

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
I know Fairchild is not a Zill tree but a great little mango and a small compact footprint, Honey kiss is a awesome mango, compact footprint, guava is an amazing mango..... lots to choose from...  I can tell you that you do not want a VP or a LZ if your looking for small compact trees... those 2 trees alone will take up all your space within 4-5 years left unchecked.

Best of luck with your selections
Joe

johnb51

• View Profile
For Indian, if you are eliminating Mallika, then you are essentially left with Son Pari and Kesar for varieties that do well in South Florida...I would personally go with Son Pari.

Alex, WPB grower, says Son Pari is highly prone to MBBS.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile

Alex, WPB grower, says Son Pari is highly prone to MBBS.

If you went by his statements like that (as a commercial grower), there would be few varieties to grow (I have a feeling nothing is resistent, just some "might" be less prone based on exposure).  I have seen MBBS affect almost every variety at Walter's grove which started from his 3 LZ being badly infected.  You should read and interpret based on context and what is also going on as a whole.  It should never be taken as gospel.  LZ is however known to be a mess in many Counties and all the while, some have no issues. 
- Rob

Mangogrove

• 9b
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm new to this forum and wanted to post a similar question when I saw this thread. I want to plant a couple mango trees (definitely not vigorous kind). I would like trees that are heavy producer, above subpar taste and highly disease resistant. Currently I have Carrie, Mallika and Pickering. Carrie and Mallika are very poor producers in my backyard (zone 9b, Florida). Pickering has been really good in all three areas for me. It does have some fiber but not objectionable. My family loves the sweetness of Pickering. 

Now, I would love to add couple more to my collection and was thinking of Kesar and M-4. What do you all think of these two? Since my yard space is limited I don't want to compromise on the production aspect. Thanks :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm new to this forum and wanted to post a similar question when I saw this thread. I want to plant a couple mango trees (definitely not vigorous kind). I would like trees that are heavy producer, above subpar taste and highly disease resistant. Currently I have Carrie, Mallika and Pickering. Carrie and Mallika are very poor producers in my backyard (zone 9b, Florida). Pickering has been really good in all three areas for me. It does have some fiber but not objectionable. My family loves the sweetness of Pickering. 

Now, I would love to add couple more to my collection and was thinking of Kesar and M-4. What do you all think of these two? Since my yard space is limited I don't want to compromise on the production aspect. Thanks :)
My two cents Glenn and Honey Kiss
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile

Everybody seems to like Honey Kiss including me.  I had a tree at the house I sold in March.  If you like the flavor of Carrie but it's not producing well for you, you could replace it with Angie with a similar flavor profile, which I also had.  It was somewhat compact and easily managed and a fairly reliable producer of clean fruit.  Some other varieties for you to consider (which I am also considering) are Sugarloaf, Phoenix, Cecilove, Orange Essence, and Carla.  Glenn is a beautiful, usually dense-growing tree, but the flavor can often be weak or washed out so I'd never grow it.  Kesar sounds pretty good.  I hope Alex of TAF finds the time to give me his recommendations.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:04:24 AM by johnb51 »
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Spring season: Rosigold , Dwarf Hawaiian

May: Angie

June: Pickering

July: Orange Sherbet. Little Gem

August: honey kiss

September+: Neelam

There are also some others that I think fit the description but not commonly Available in the nursery trade like Itamaraca, Arka Neelkiran, and Fairchild’s Saigon.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:15:54 AM by Squam256 »

Mangogrove

• 9b
    • View Profile

Everybody seems to like Honey Kiss including me.  I had a tree at the house I sold in March.  If you like the flavor of Carrie but it's not producing well for you, you could replace it with Angie with a similar flavor profile, which I also had.  It was somewhat compact and easily managed and a fairly reliable producer of clean fruit.  Some other varieties for you to consider (which I am also considering) are Sugarloaf, Phoenix, Cecilove, and Carla.  Glenn is a beautiful, usually dense-growing tree, but the flavor can often be weak or washed out so I'd never grow it.  Kesar sounds pretty good.  I hope Alex of TAF finds the time to give me his recommendations.

Thank you. I used to have Glenn; planted as a 3g and was killed after 5 years in one night's frost. It gave me just 3 mangoes altogether. I didn't care much about flavor either. Thus far, I have tasted 1 Carrie mango from my tree. Honestly, I don't remember the taste. It was 2 years ago. I like Pickering's flavor though. I think I'm leaning towards Honey Kiss now over Kesar.
What is the verdict on M-4 though? Perfect for home backyard or no?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
My obsessive novice opinion:
Julie
Sugarloaf
Sweet Tart
PPK
Maha Chanok

Should give you a fairly long season and a nice flavor range with FAIRLY compact trees

Sweet Tart and PPK are not compact trees.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile

[/quote]

PPK and Sweet Tart definitely not compact trees or anything remotely compact.  Julie, for the most part, is a fungus magnet mess in SFla.
[/quote]

Is Julie that bad?  Just bought a Julie tree, should I plant it away from the other mango trees to prevent the fungus from spreading?   
Where should I plant the tree, in a well ventilated area?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
 A slow-growing dwarf tree just be prepared to spray it for anthracnose. Being that it's a small tree logistically it shouldn't be that difficult. This is something you should probably study up on anyway. Put anthracnose in forum search engine and study  it. It's all part of the Adventure.😊 If you were planting commercially that would be a different story. Yes air circulation is good/pre]

[/quote]

Is Julie that bad?  Just bought a Julie tree, should I plant it away from the other mango trees to prevent the fungus from spreading?   
Where should I plant the tree, in a well ventilated area?

[/quote]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 01:10:27 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
For a Julie, its more than the average Anthracnore found on susceptible varieties.  It can be more that the trouble.  It also has the propensity to be a shy bearer inland and away from the coast.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
It seems Julie should not be on a "Best 4-5 Mangos to Grow" list!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:15:44 PM by johnb51 »
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Can the fungus from Julie spread to other mango trees?
I am not too far west, located in between i95 and Turnpike.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Can the fungus from Julie spread to other mango trees?
I am not too far west, located in between i95 and Turnpike.
If it's going to stress you out and cause you to lose sleep just call the people that you got it from and ask them to swap for another  variety.😊 does it look like a clean tree if it's ate up with anthracnose I don't know why you would purchase it😊

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
If it's going to stress you out and cause you to lose sleep just call the people that you got it from and ask them to swap for another  variety. does it look like a clean tree if it's ate up with anthracnose I don't know why you would purchase it

My tree looks fine, take a look.  Is my location somewhat safe against fungus?  I am located between i95 and turnpike.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:11:37 PM by JulianoGS »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I think you'll be much better off with a dwarf Hawaiian similar flavor to Julie. Dwarf size and very precocious.
I'm willing to have that fight for Julie because my wife was raised on coconut milk and Julie mangoes. In my opinion even if you could see the ocean from your doorstep you're still going to have to spray for anthracnose and powdery mildew so you might as well just get schooled up on it

« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:33:34 PM by bovine421 »

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
I think you'll be much better off with a dwarf Hawaiian similar flavor to Julie. Dwarf size and very precocious.
I'm willing to have that fight for Julie because my wife was raised on coconut milk and Julie mangoes.

I am gonna give this tree a try, it is healthy and it is branching nicely.  Wish me all the best! 
Had also taught about a graham, but it drops a bunch of fruit and the tree is not small.

Julie is deliciously spicy, small, compact, precocious and it blooms multiple times.