Author Topic: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?  (Read 30019 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »
I want to make a list of all the varieties of Mamey being grown in Florida.  I will start out with 4:

-Pantin
-Magaņa
-Pace
-Viejo

If you are growing a variety in Florida not on the list, please state its name, age and if its fruiting...

I am looking for a single list, if you see one on the list, dont list it again. :o

Thanks!

Adiel
Adiel

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
And how far north are you growing them??

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
This thread is discriminating  ;D

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »
Pace and Pace.  ;D
Alexi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Here is a good resource on growing mamey in FL. It lists 15 cultivars and rates them all.

The info on that chart shows that it may be possible to have mamey fruiting almost all year in FL by selecting the right varieties. Has anyone tried that?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:04:35 PM by murahilin »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Adiel
You will find that 98% of the Mamey being grown in Florida are either Pantin(Key West) or Magana with Pantin being the vast majority.  These other grafted cultivars are still very rare. I have been to dozens of local tree sales and have only seen the two I already mentioned and maybe a few Excalibers.   TREC in Homestead probably has the best collection  of cultivars in this part of the world.   

The photo shows a my Pantin just a few days ago. This is only a corner of much tree.   
Noel

FloridaGreenMan

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
This thread is discriminating  ;D

No, No, No my friend.  :)  By no means.  Just wanted to see if something else can be grown where I live.

What mameys are you growing Felipe?

Adiel

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »
Adiel
You will find that 98% of the Mamey being grown in Florida are either Pantin(Key West) or Magana with Pantin being the vast majority.  These other grafted cultivars are still very rare. I have been to dozens of local tree sales and have only seen the two I already mentioned and maybe a few Excalibers.   TREC in Homestead probably has the best collection  of cultivars in this part of the world.   

The photo shows a my Pantin just a few days ago. This is only a corner of much tree.   
Noel

Noel, that is awesome!  How old is your pantin?

Adiel
Adiel

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
I'm growing Pantin and Magana. Need to get a Pace and Excalibur.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Adiel

Noel

Wow. Your Pantin is full of fruits! If your 15 year old pantin can give that much fruit, imagine a 15-year old Pace. Pantin has a medium fruit yield, while pace has high fruit yield. Once it give fruits, I better start eating strawberries more often.  ;D
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:34:30 AM »
Adiel

Noel

Hi Noel, what are the plastic enclosures around your mamey fruits and what is their purpose? In Hawaii also only Pantin and Magana are grown, and i think 98% of the fruits come just from one farm that planted 200 trees many years back. It's not a popular fruit here. Guess there are not enough Cubans living here yet!  ;D
Oscar
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:51 AM »

How is Magana?  Is it the smallest tree?  How does the eating quality compare to others?
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »

How is Magana?  Is it the smallest tree?  How does the eating quality compare to others?

Mine was only planted a few months ago, so its a young tree. I don't expect it to produce for at least few years (presuming I can get it to survive the winters) but it has been flowering which I suppose is an encouraging sign. I have had Magana fruit before and find the flavor about the same as Pantin, just shaped differently and a little larger, and a lighter flesh color.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Adiel

Noel

Hi Noel, what are the plastic enclosures around your mamey fruits and what is their purpose? In Hawaii also only Pantin and Magana are grown, and i think 98% of the fruits come just from one farm that planted 200 trees many years back. It's not a popular fruit here. Guess there are not enough Cubans living here yet!  ;D
Oscar

Oscar,

Noel is quite the resourceful and creative grower.  He uses old produce plastic containers, for grapes strawberries etc, and uses them as a protective device, for each ripening fruit.  It keeps birds, rats, possums, and raccoons (most of them),  at bay.

I'm definitely going to use this method as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks for posting pics Noel,

Adam
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
No, No, No my friend.  :)  By no means.  Just wanted to see if something else can be grown where I live.
What mameys are you growing Felipe?

Of course I was kidding!  ;)

Currently I'm only growing Pantin and a mexican seedling (the fruit was excellent!). I'm probably will add in 6-12 month Magana and Viejo to my collection...

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 03:07:35 PM »
Do you guys know which cultivar is the most productive?

Noel, the TREC in homestead has the greatest collection of cultivars? Do you know how many they have? I thought the greatest collection was in the USDA station in PR...

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
Felipe, check out the "Pace" cultivar also.

Adiel
Adiel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

I like Pantin better than Magana. The Pantin has a nicer smoother texture. The Magana can often be gritty textured.
Oscar
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »
As Adam mentioned, the plastic produce containers are great in helping to to prevent bird and squirrel attacks. It's not practical in a large commercial setting but it works great for the small homeowner. I don't buy produce in plastic containers since I mostly grow my own or buy or trade with other growers  but instead I have asked many friends and neighbors to save them for me. It also keeps these out of the landfills since many people still don't recycle them. I do recycle them after they get ripped up. Have used them on Mango,  Abiu, Mamey and even tomatoes.

Regarding the taste of the cultivars...my choice hands down is Pantin. The Pace or Excaliber are very nice and Magana is last due to the uneven ripening and overall taste & color of the pulp. If you were to do a taste test with 2 perfectly ripe fruits, I have no doubt Pantin would easily win out.   Two years ago I visited Bryan Brunner's Farm in PR and his Magana was loaded with HUGE fruits, I mean 5 and 6 pound giants but they were rotting away because no one liked them! He could not even give them away.

It's possible that TARS in PR has a bigger Mamey collection than TREC but I have not been impressed with the accessibilty of their collection to growers. TREC's collection has been studied more and they actually publish good cultivar information.  I will try to find out how many each place has to settle the discussion.   

That is my two cents on Mamey!             

FloridaGreenMan

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
Has anyone tried "Lorito," or do you have any information on this variety?  R.Campbell recommends it, and they have it at Excalibur.
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »
As Adam mentioned, the plastic produce containers are great in helping to to prevent bird and squirrel attacks. It's not practical in a large commercial setting but it works great for the small homeowner. I don't buy produce in plastic containers since I mostly grow my own or buy or trade with other growers  but instead I have asked many friends and neighbors to save them for me. It also keeps these out of the landfills since many people still don't recycle them. I do recycle them after they get ripped up. Have used them on Mango,  Abiu, Mamey and even tomatoes.

Regarding the taste of the cultivars...my choice hands down is Pantin. The Pace or Excaliber are very nice and Magana is last due to the uneven ripening and overall taste & color of the pulp. If you were to do a taste test with 2 perfectly ripe fruits, I have no doubt Pantin would easily win out.   Two years ago I visited Bryan Brunner's Farm in PR and his Magana was loaded with HUGE fruits, I mean 5 and 6 pound giants but they were rotting away because no one liked them! He could not even give them away.

It's possible that TARS in PR has a bigger Mamey collection than TREC but I have not been impressed with the accessibilty of their collection to growers. TREC's collection has been studied more and they actually publish good cultivar information.  I will try to find out how many each place has to settle the discussion.   

That is my two cents on Mamey!           

I would be more than happy to eat all of those maganas, as long as they are not rotting.  ;D 
Alexi

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »
Does anyone have any information on "Viejo" besides UF?  Why don't they recommend it for home landscaping?
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Does anyone have any information on "Viejo" besides UF?  Why don't they recommend it for home landscaping?

I wouldn't rely on their home recommendation status. They didn't recommend Fairchild #2 canistel for home planting and it turned out to be a great variety to grow at home based on personal experiences.  Jeff Hagen even wrote an article on it. Even through its a good mamey variety, viejo is not as common as magana, pantin, and even pace.
Alexi

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
And no one is familiar with "Lorito?"  Shall I ask Excalibur about it since they sell it?
John

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »

John, from what I can see, it looks well worth having a "Viejo" mamey if you have space.  (And if you already have a pantin or pace).  It looks like it fruits in December!  That would be great! Because the other varieties have the following fruiting schedule:

Pantin: July-Aug
Magaņa: April-May
Pace: March-April
Viejo: Dec   <<==awesome because it fruits when the others don't !! ==>>

Its a NICE looking small fruit which just like a green sapote, you can eat the whole thing at once:

A third thing I see from the UF Document, it says it taste excellent and its a nice deep red color flesh.  According to the document, it is a good option if you have the main varieties already.  What more can you ask right?  :)

Source: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg331

Adiel

Adiel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk