Author Topic: Durian: Exact Pulp to Waste Ratio Calculated  (Read 11704 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Durian: Exact Pulp to Waste Ratio Calculated
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
I took out and weighed the edible portion of a Chanee durian i harvested. The whole fruit weighed 12 pounds 10 ounces. The edible sections with rinds discarded, including the seeds weighed 4 pounds 6 ounces. There were a total of 8 seeds, 5 of them well formed and 3 aborted. Total weight of all the seeds was 12 ounces. So the total amount of actual edible pulp was 3 pounds 10 ounces. So if my calculation is correct, about 28 percent of the fruit is edible and 72 percent is compost. So when you pay $4 a pound for the fruit, the usual price here, then the edible portion is actually costing $14.28 cents a pound.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Durian: Exact Pulp to Waste Ratio Calculated
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 01:11:54 AM »
Interesting info, good to know.

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »
Cool! Thanks for calculating oscar.
Jackson

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:29:58 AM »
Naming of durian variety
In the past, the grower grew durian by seed in which the new plants are usually not true to type. In this way new varieties were created, and good ones were named usually according to their appearance, shape, pulp color or locality.

http://www.dit.go.th/agriculture/durian/varietie.htm

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:44:15 AM »
The %of edible pulp for each variety (typical yield at least) is often expressed in variety assessments.While the top types are usually in the mid twenties % wise some individual fruit can approach 40% or be as low as 10% edible flesh.Anything over 30% is sensational and below 20% is poor.That 28% is great and probably better than most Chanee fruit.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »
Interesting, at $14.28/lbs of that edible durian in Hawaii; is that make it the costliest fruit in Hawaii, or anywhere,
I wonder...? And you ate how many durian fruits per sitting? Wow, looks like you live lavishly...Oscar!  :)

For comparison, this morning at the "Superstore" in Westminster, SoCal, the whole frozen durian fruit cost $1.69/lbs
and the frozen seedless pulp in packages is $5.49 a pound.
So, if anyone don't mind eating defrosted durian, -which is just fine to me- seems like the frozen ones are a bargain.
Sam

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »
Interesting, at $14.28/lbs of that edible durian in Hawaii; is that make it the costliest fruit in Hawaii, or anywhere,
I wonder...? And you ate how many durian fruits per sitting? Wow, looks like you live lavishly...Oscar!  :)

For comparison, this morning at the "Superstore" in Westminster, SoCal, the whole frozen durian fruit cost $1.69/lbs
So, if anyone don't mind eating defrosted durian, -which is just fine to me- seems like the frozen ones are a bargain.

Not so lavish. These are durians i'm growing myself, so the cost is zero....apart from all the work that went into it...which i don't want to think about!  ;) I very rarely buy durians here, unless i have a strong craving and lots of money burning in my pocket.  ;) I knew the cost of those past purchases was high, but didn't really know exact cost till now. Ofcourse different varieties will have different pulp/waste ratios.
Sorry but you can't really compare frozen durian with fresh. The taste can be similar, but freezing the fruit ruins the soft creamy texture. Frozen is good when there is nothing else around. I hope you realize also that those prices you quote are for fruits probably grown in Thailand, which has very different economy, and where the fruits are grown in a very different way than here (lots of chemicals).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:13:20 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »

Where i live in Nonthaburi Bangkok Thailand the best ones sell for 600 us$ a piece. The host of this website ate one and made a video from that happening.

Here you can learn the tricks how to buy a good durian
http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2013/02/durian-fraud-10-tricks-that-may-deceive.html#.VIw00_l_so4

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »

You can pay $25 for a 1/2 pound of Finger Limes : https://goodlandorganics.com/store/finger-limes
I saw Etrog for $20 a fruit I think it was before thanksgiving .

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
Oscar, I know you don’t really live “lavishly” - in the sense like eg. Donald Trump’s would be-, it’s more like a feeling a little of envy in my part: I have yet to consume a single durian fruit by myself in one sitting, and at this stage in my life, I don’t think I will have a chance to live in Hawaii either… and as commented by “Triloba Tracker”:  "Living the fantasy life so many of us dream of!"

Of course,  for your reward for obtaining that land, carefully planting and cultivating them with your own sweat, you fully deserve to reward yourself enjoying the fruits of your labor of love…yes, I am sure the fresh fruits taste better, but as you said, “when there is nothing else around…”
Yep, the frozen durian in Asian markets here were from Thailand, I haven’t seen coming from any other country, maybe hopefully someday we will see durians cultivated in Mexico/South America’s Tropic region and exported to US (like mangos/rambutan etc); so we could also enjoy the real taste of a fresh durian ☺.

Sam

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
I took out and weighed the edible portion of a Chanee durian i harvested. The whole fruit weighed 12 pounds 10 ounces. The edible sections with rinds discarded, including the seeds weighed 4 pounds 6 ounces. There were a total of 8 seeds, 5 of them well formed and 3 aborted. Total weight of all the seeds was 12 ounces. So the total amount of actual edible pulp was 3 pounds 10 ounces. So if my calculation is correct, about 28 percent of the fruit is edible and 72 percent is compost. So when you pay $4 a pound for the fruit, the usual price here, then the edible portion is actually costing $14.28 cents a pound.

So paying $10.00 lbs for Mangosteen isn't so farfetched from buying a huge 12 lbs Durian for 12 dollars.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »

So paying $10.00 lbs for Mangosteen isn't so farfetched from buying a huge 12 lbs Durian for 12 dollars.

Mangosteen has a huge amount of waste also. So you probably ended up paying $20 per pound for what you ate. Also i'd like to know where you buy a 12 pound durian for only $12?
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

Mangosteen has a huge amount of waste also. So you probably ended up paying $20 per pound for what you ate. Also i'd like to know where you buy a 12 pound durian for only $12?

Yeah those numbers were accurate forsure...was just trying to make an example of how you can buy durians for a cheaper price than a bag of Mangosteens
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 09:32:33 PM »

Yeah those numbers were accurate forsure...was just trying to make an example of how you can buy durians for a cheaper price than a bag of Mangosteens

Depends on where and when, but i think in most places if you do this calculation of pulp to waste ratio then mangosteens are going to be quiet a lot cheaper per pound of what you actually eat. Durian is about 3/4 waste. I'm guessing that with mangosteen it is about 1/2 waste. I'll try to figure out exact number with mangosteens next as there is still a crop of mangosteens around now.
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 08:02:29 PM »
I did this for a couple of my fruit recently and came up with approximately 15% for both.  They're supposedly D-123, though the nurserymen here on the Big Island admit that there was some confusion (attributed to the Australian end, of course) when our durian cultivars originally came from Australia, so not sure what they are.  Excellent fruit, IMO, and very much in demand at farmer's market at $4/lb retail.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:42:42 PM by BigIslandGrower »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
I did this for a couple of my fruit recently and came up with approximately 15% for both.  They're supposedly D-123, though the nurserymen here on the Big Island admit that there was some confusion (attributed to the Australian end, of course) when our durian cultivars originally came from Australia, so not sure what they are.  Excellent fruit, IMO, and very much in demand at farmer's market at $4/lb retail.
15% is quite low. Are they the first fruiting from those trees?
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »
Not first fruiting, but first big fruiting.  I don't get the impression that they're any less abundant in edible flesh than Ed Johnston's trees, which have been big producers for many years. But there's no evidence to support my hunch, unless Ed has done this test himself.  I've been eating  Ed's durians for several years now, and will ask him about this.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »
15% is poor alright and some D123 (chanee) from Australia were misidentified in the past. The good types should still be 10% higher.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »
I ate a kampung durian today that I think was about 5%...pretty disappointing when she opened it up, especially at $4 a kilo!

Thanks for doing the math on the Chanee, Oscar. Alan Zappala and I did the math for macrantha last year but I don't remember what it was now...I think around 20%. Decent.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
I wish we had the option to try different frozen Durian in the US.....seems to be only one grower shipping the same variety.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »
I wish we had the option to try different frozen Durian in the US.....seems to be only one grower shipping the same variety.

There are several Thai companies shipping frozen durian to the USA. I think they are mostly Monthong. These fruits aren't from the growers, but from very large durian distributors/shippers.  BTW, the USA is the biggest buyer of frozen durian from Thailand.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »

There are several Thai companies shipping frozen durian to the USA. I think they are mostly Monthong. These fruits aren't from the growers, but from very large durian distributors/shippers.  BTW, the USA is the biggest buyer of frozen durian from Thailand.

Actually, China is still the biggest buyer of frozen durian from Thailand :) at least according to the latest stats I've seen.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 11:42:27 PM »

Actually, China is still the biggest buyer of frozen durian from Thailand :) at least according to the latest stats I've seen.
What stats are those? China is largest buyer of fresh, but not, i don't think of frozen.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »

What stats are those? China is largest buyer of fresh, but not, i don't think of frozen.

Stats from Thai Ag dept. Was like pulling teeth to get them. Took me months. I don't think it specifies fresh or frozen, I'll have to check. I know that the factory I visited (Sunshine) only sold frozen durian, and China was their biggest buyer.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

BigIslandGrower

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
My searching efforts for frozen durian sales revealed that in the past three years Malaysia has become a big player in this field, with just about all discussion of sales targeting China.  Apparently, the Chinese prefer the cultivars Musang King and D-24 that Malaysia has to offer.   I found one source that said in 1997, US was the biggest importer of frozen durian worldwide at 60% of the market.  However, it looks like China may be passing us by.  Here's one link: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Community/2014/12/29/Rising-durian-demand-in-China/

"The Hermes of Fruits"  I like it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:47:28 AM by BigIslandGrower »