Author Topic: Don't do what i did.!!!!  (Read 7241 times)

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Don't do what i did.!!!!
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
I got a Page manderin tree that is about 7 or 8 years old and always got about around 3 dozen fruits a year. This year nada,why? I brought my tree in last fall too soon and it went into bloom in the first part of Januari.My workshop stays around 72*, no polinators,all bloom fell-off. Lights around the tree for about 12 hours.
This fall i will put the tree in the garage first for 2 months then in the shop maybe this will work,that way it might bloom around the time that it go outside again.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Don't do what i did.!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
Luak, tangelos aren't very self-fertile, so it helps to have a compatible citrus tree nearby for pollination. Temple, Sunburst, or  Fallglo, are just a few of the good varieties to ensure good pollination and high fruit yields.  However, you really don't require any  citrus variety in order  to "pollinate" your Page tangelo.  You can easily spray the tree when it is in bloom with Gibberellic acid (GA3).  Gibberellic acid sprays will give the tree a high fruit set. This is how clementine mandarins, the world over,  are made to set  large crops of seedless fruit. - Millet
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:27:55 PM by Millet »

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
Millet,i figure you would chime in. Great to know about the spray,never dealt with that chemical nor do i know where to buy it.
This year i have bought several citrus tree's from Harris and 3 tree's from Walmart just last week for $10.00 a piece(red navel,Meyer) They were nice little tree's and healthy.
My collection starting to grow faster then exspected.Hope they are growing like my Page.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »
Luak, Do they still have the car show in Eureka springs? -Millet

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Millet, yes they do, but more now than ever before. From Vw busses to Corvettes,Mustangs,vintage cars,gay parades,Harley's, the list goes on.I am a frontline firefighter at 75 years and we are very busy this of the year.Crashes left and right,not a fun time for us for acidents.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:17:33 PM »
I forgot Page is a tangelo.  Mine is blooming right now.  I briefly looked around online for a retail spray containing gibberellic acid but I can't find anything, only powder form and expensive bulk sprays.  Millet mentioned that some tomato bloom products contain this but I can't seem to find any or they aren't listing GA3 as an ingredient.  Anybody have any ideas?

I have enough bees around that I expect it will be pollinated anyway but some of my trees end up blooming in the greenhouse and so won't have this option.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:20:20 AM »
Bees and GA3 both will set fruit on a Page tree. The difference between the two is that bees actually pollinate the tree by cross pollinating the flowers with pollen from a neighboring tree. Therefore since pollen is used the Page fruit will have seeds.  GA3 also sets the bloom, but without pollen, and a non-pollinated flower will be seedless. - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
I've accepted that I may get seedy fruit on the Page, but do you know of any GA3 sprays by name that I can order before things go in the greenhouse for the winter?  I would like to have this ready for any trees that bloom in there.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
I purchase GA3 solution from a local chemical supplier who markets their products to the commercial floral greenhouse industry. I purchase it in 1 pint bottles, which last me for some time.  If you cannot locate a supplier in your area, I would be happy to send some to you. - Millet

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Thanks Millet, i do not know how to apply and when.Do you spray at bloom time. What is the ratio, i just got one tree, the others are still too smal, just got them from Harris this past spring.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
I purchase GA3 solution from a local chemical supplier who markets their products to the commercial floral greenhouse industry. I purchase it in 1 pint bottles, which last me for some time.  If you cannot locate a supplier in your area, I would be happy to send some to you. - Millet

Thank you for the offer but I was able to find some mail order, though only in powder form.  Maybe this is standard.  In any case I hope it works out. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »
Brian, it only takes a VERY VERY small Amount of GA3 per gallon of spray.  What strength is the GA3 powder that you  purchased ? - Millet

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
5 grams of 90% GA3.  Enough for a lifetime, I am guessing.  Unfortunately I don't have a scale so I haven't yet figured out how I am going to dilulte it to the proper concentration.  From what I read overdoing it can easily cause problems.  If you have any suggestions here I am all ears.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
Millet,I have only one tree to spray and i would take you up on your offer for a small amount of the G3 that you are using.I would like the name of the company for future use, if you don't mind.Bob.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
Send me your address and I will send you enough liquid GA3 for your tree.  I purchase my GA3 from American Clay Works  857 Bryant Street, Denver, CO. There telephone # is  303-534-4044 or 1-800-873-2297. - Millet

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Millet, i understand that you have a large greenhouse and i was wondering what you grow other than citrus? Bob
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:15:22 PM by luak »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »
Luak, to answer your question, in my greenhouse I currently have growing in the ground a Genoa Lemon, Marisol Clementine, Cara Cara Orange, Bearss Lime, Brown Turkey Fig, Wonderful Pomegranate tree, Red Lady Papaya, pink fleshed Chandler Pummelo, and a Double Mahoi Banana, all of which are full grown mature trees.  Also planted in the ground, but not yet fully grown are a Sweetheart Litchi,  Ruby Supreme Guava, Saint Teresa Lemon and a Ponkan Satsuma.  Growing in Containers of various sizes are 2 - T.R. Hovey Papayas, 2 - Page mandarins,  2 - Valentine Pummelos, 1 - Nova Mandarin, 1 - Bittersweet Orange, 1-Bizarrea Citrus, 3 - Black Twig Limes,  2 - Dekopon oranges, 1- Fringe Tree, 2 - Gold Nugget mandarins,  2-New Zealand Lemonade trees, 1 - very rare Saint Dominic Sour Orange tree, 1- Saint Michael  Paper Rind orange, 1- Sanguinele Blood Orange,  1- Star Ruby Grapefruit, 1 - Tarocco blood orange, 1 - Turunji Citrus Medica, 1 - Valencia orange, 2- Star Fruit trees, 1- Day Avocado, 2- Xie Shan Satsumas, 1 - Yosemite Gold Mandarin, 50 or so Pineapples, a dozen or so large vines of various wine grape varieties,  15+- cactus varieties, a large Canary Island Palm tree planted in a 4" X 4' X 4' container, various greenhouse tomatoes,  20 or so orchids, plus perhaps 20 to 25 various miscellaneous other plants.  - Millet

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
Wow Millet - still keeping busy ey? I remember reading you were reducing the amount of trees because it was too much work.

I'm actually surprised you don't have a xie-shan in the ground being that it is your favorite variety.

congrats on your GH!!

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:03 PM »
Millet, do you have a lot of succes with papaya's. I got some growing from store bought seeds, are 2 feet tall but growing fast don't know if they will survive this coming winter.I have not bought any additional lights yet.This is all new to me.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:40 PM »
Luak, papayas are easy to grow, and can produce fruit in the first season, surely in the second season  Never ever water a papaya with cold water, as they get root rot very easy.  Grown from seed there is a chance that your papaya can turn out to be a male tree, a female tree or a hermaphrodite tree.  Both the female or the hermaphrodite tree will give you fruit.  A male tree just produces pollen but does not fruit.  Keep your fingers crossed.  The T.R. Hovey Papaya is a dwarf papaya that produces regular fruit, and can be easily grown in a 5 gallon container.  T.R. Hovey Papayas can be purchased from Logees Greenhouse on line if your interested.. - Millet

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 03:51:08 AM »
I had 4  bi sexual paw paws going in pots but they all dropped their leaves and died.......I suspect from root rot like you said millet.........so water with warm water then is it millet.........i would have thought  water rarely......as they frow in sand in places like fiji and get very little water........what about feeding? cheers Jon

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 06:13:08 AM »
Bees and GA3 both will set fruit on a Page tree. The difference between the two is that bees actually pollinate the tree by cross pollinating the flowers with pollen from a neighboring tree. Therefore since pollen is used the Page fruit will have seeds.  GA3 also sets the bloom, but without pollen, and a non-pollinated flower will be seedless. - Millet
This stuff is quoted as containing natural growth promotants  eg gillberines(spelt wrong).........is this the same stuff as GA3?.......therefore foliar feed the blooms and get the same efffect?
http://www.easygrow.co.nz/soil-nutrients/188-nitrosol-1l.html