Author Topic: Buy, sell, or trade pollen here?  (Read 4364 times)

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
Buy, sell, or trade pollen here?
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
It is frustrating, though sometimes necessary, for breeders to grow breeding stock for years before actually making a cross.  So how about including pollen here?  I might start by suggesting that same rules should apply as for seeds, as I'm not absolutely sure that pollen can't spread virus.  I'm sure they don't spread insects, at least.
I can see that sometimes an inexperienced person might harvest unripe pollen, or not keep it dry enough.  And how to quantify the amount of pollen.
Comments?

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Buy, sell, or trade pollen here?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:46:57 AM »
How long can you keep pollen viable? One or two weeks at best if refrigerated. You need to have some good logistics to have a pollen trade here.
By the way science has advanced profoundly in the last decade for obtaining new plants. It is much more straightforward to combine DNA, mutate or even alter the DNA through Crisp. Mutated plants and humans will become a norm in the near future. You can actually buy kits online to make simple Dna fusion of the plants then see what new breed you can get. Just some thoughts  :D

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:44:17 PM »
Something I think about often.
As I made plans for a 39 year breeding program, I realized that in that time, there could (will) be designer plants. 
The CRISPR process you mentioned could be applied to an F1 of P.t x citrus and delete the bad flavor genes of P.t, and delete the genes for cold damage from citrus.  I presume the deleted genes of P.t could be replaced with copies of the citrus genes.
But I decided to give the old way a try, as it is the method I know and am set up for.  I plan on wondering around on this Earth for several years yet, and I might as well do something interesting.

I'm told that citrus pollen properly dried and refridgerated will keep for a year.  I haven't tried, as I'm mostly waiting for flowers.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »
I was thinking about pollen trade too. There was a post about pollen treatment on the old forum I guess. I have a look whether I can find it.

http://citrusgrowersstatic.chez.com/

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 03:26:21 AM »
Here is one post with a link to a description how to handle it.
http://citrusgrowersstatic.chez.com/web/viewtopicea35.php
it is not the thread I am thinking of, I keep looking.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
Citrus has a long juvenile period so if the cross is successful, it takes years to see the results.
My limes have flowers now, but I don't know if you get it still viable it takes 10-15 days for a simple letter to arrive to US.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
proper treated pollen can be viable up to 1 year. the major issue I see is will the female part still be in flower when pollen arrives.
Do you have finger limes too?

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
No finger limes yet, but I've started shopping.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
no finger limes also, only two varieties of limes, brought from northern thailand.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Citrus has a long juvenile period so if the cross is successful, it takes years to see the results.
Under optimal growing conditions, inside a humidity controlled enclosure, maintained at the proper temperature and with grow lamps on 24 hours per day, I believe it's possible to go from seed to fruit within as little as 3 to 4 years. And that's not involving the use of grafting.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
I'm not sure which species or variety you are referring to.  I know that some citrus are this quick.  Key lime is said to bloom in as little as one year from seed.  But do you mean in general?