Author Topic: Gold Nugget mandarin  (Read 8773 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Gold Nugget mandarin
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
Hi,

I am looking to buy a tree of Gold Nugget mandarin. I just haven't found any grower that has it.

Tomas

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Nugget mandarin
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Not sure where, or if, you will find it in Florida (from what I know it is a California grown citrus) but if you are able to get it I don't know if the Gold Nugget will produce fruit of high quality, or really at all, in your area.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »
My favorite mandarin. It produces sweet seedless fruits in Southern California. I have a nice little tree that has been in the ground for a year and it has 20 mandarins.

JF

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
JF, the first couple years the fruits aren't very good. I've  had mine for the third year now. Maybe if you fertilized it more..

A not particularly fruit-loving friend recalls handing them out to the public as a volunteer during her time at UC Riverside. She also purchased a tree of it.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:21:56 PM »
I'm not sure if Fourwinds nursery ships to Florida because of the quarantine but perhaps they know of a nursery that does carry them in Florida.  Gold Nuggets are one of my favorite Tangerines.  They sure do taste a lot like Dekopons.  This year, the Gold Nuggets tasted better than the Dekopons in my opinion.  The Dekopons were a little more acidic and less sweet than last year.  I hope you will be able to find one!
Simon

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Hi Simon,

I would be interested to find that nursery in Florida. Do you think Gold Nuggets would grow well in Florida too. I read somewhere that if you place a variety in a non-ideal climate for that particular variety it may not even produce fruits with the same nice taste.

Tomas

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Hi Simon,

I would be interested to find that nursery in Florida. Do you think Gold Nuggets would grow well in Florida too. I read somewhere that if you place a variety in a non-ideal climate for that particular variety it may not even produce fruits with the same nice taste.

Tomas
Nope, citrus plants can not be shipped into Florida.  This has been discussed before...Gold Nuggets will not grow/fruit well in Florida, and this may be an understatement.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »
I'm not sure if Fourwinds nursery ships to Florida because of the quarantine but perhaps they know of a nursery that does carry them in Florida.  Gold Nuggets are one of my favorite Tangerines.  They sure do taste a lot like Dekopons.  This year, the Gold Nuggets tasted better than the Dekopons in my opinion.  The Dekopons were a little more acidic and less sweet than last year.  I hope you will be able to find one!
Simon

I agree.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:37 AM »
I didn't get to taste a Dekopon last year but I thought the Pixies were sweeter than Gold Nuggets last year. So now I have both of them growing.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
I didn't get to taste a Dekopon last year but I thought the Pixies were sweeter than Gold Nuggets last year. So now I have both of them growing.

I don't have room for both so I planted GN which I prefer.

JF

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 02:10:34 AM »
I have limited space too. So tried to bud other things onto the Gold Nugget but they didn't take. My other plant with Valentine, Smith Red Valencia, Pixie, and Kishu is doing well. I'm trying to force the Smith Red and Pixie out with a horizontal cut right above the bud.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk