Author Topic: Grafted vs seedlings  (Read 745 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Grafted vs seedlings
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:53:54 PM »
Lets hear somme opinions about grafted trees vs seedlings consisting in advantages and disadvantages of both.My experience its mainly with walnuts and the grafted walnuts fruit much faster with more uniform and high quality fruits but they have the disadvantage that they only live for about 25 years while seedling walnuts can live for 400 years or more but the fruit size and quality are unknown until the tree starts to bear first fruits.I know a guy that planted manny grafted walnuts to have an income when he retires from work, but right when he retired,his walnuts allready started to die of old age.The mayor in my city has cut trees that were almost 100 years old to replace them with somme globular looking ornamental trees and i made a bet that in 25 years those trees will be dead of old age.A positive thing ive read about grafted trees its that the oldest persimmon in Japan seems to have been grafted wich would be awesome iet its not 100 percent sure thats grafted,the tree has somme marks on its trunk wich led to this speculation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:56:04 PM by SeaWalnut »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafted vs seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Take a look at the macadamia thread (grafted vs seedling).  Don't know about the shortened life issue, but my Carmelo walnut (grafted) is almost 50 years old and thriving.