Author Topic: Gac fruit (Momordica cochinchinensis)  (Read 1113 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Gac fruit (Momordica cochinchinensis)
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
hi everyone, i have a gac plant, in the summer there were many male and female flowers in the same plant. the female that would become fruits, have dried up and i do not know the cause, what could have caused this?

i took this photo from Google, end up like this in photo, my plant still in winter is alive, i do not know if it will bloom again in the spring, but I would like your opinion on it

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Gac fruit (Momordica cochinchinensis)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
If your female flowers look like this, it has not been pollinated, that is why they dried up. You will have to pollinate them.

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:55 PM »
I thought male and female flowers are on separate plants.  And you have to hand pollinate.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:35:19 AM »
I've seen female Gac vines that occasionally make a few male flowers but they still needed hand pollination.
Some researchers were able to produce hermaphrodite flowers using silver nitrate, fruits were heavier and the seeds produced all female progeny.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/225543408_Yield_improvement_through_female_homosexual_hybrids_and_sex_genetics_of_sweet_gourd_Momordica_cochinchinensis_Spreng

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 12:06:41 PM »
I had tried pollination by hand but very late in the summer when there were a few flowers, and I did not do it properly because I did not do it early in the morning, it may be the reason why he did not succeed, also i did abuse with fertilizer for general use each with 3-4 days per week because I thought it would be more successful, in general, I made a lot of mistakes,

this is photos from my gac plant in the summer when it was not big, also with melon plants

and in this photos are how they are now, with broad beans plants