Author Topic: Fijian pineapples has a coconut taste?  (Read 3437 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Fijian pineapples has a coconut taste?
« on: June 25, 2015, 01:04:10 AM »
Friend came back from her honeymoon in Fiji.  She told me she had a pineapple that had a coco nutty flavor.   Anyone heard of this?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Fijian pineapples has a coconut taste?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:00:26 AM »
I've not heard of it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

One of my beekeeping friends is one of Fiji's most productive pineapple farmers.  I'll ask him next time I talk with him, but that may be month or so from now.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:46:01 AM »
There was a thread on here going back in time, i think coming out of Australia,  about a (modified) pineapple that tasted like coconut.
- Rob

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
hmm. it'll be interesting if there is a any confirmation this pineapple does exist on Fiji.  I consider my friend a foodie so for her to be wowed by it must be a pretty big thing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
hmm. it'll be interesting if there is a any confirmation this pineapple does exist on Fiji.  I consider my friend a foodie so for her to be wowed by it must be a pretty big thing.

Did she eat the pineapple in fresh state? It's pretty common practice in Fiji to cook almost everything in coconut cream.
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »
sent me a picture of it.  of course it was on a platter and don't know what  the original plant looks like. but it was fresh.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
sent me a picture of it.  of course it was on a platter and don't know what  the original plant looks like. but it was fresh.
Probably then the GMO pineapple discussed in an earlier thread.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »

Why did you assume it was GMO? The breeder specifically states that none of their pineapples, including Aus Festival, are GMO.

http://www.pureaussiepineapples.com.au/

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »

Why did you assume it was GMO? The breeder specifically states that none of their pineapples, including Aus Festival, are GMO.

http://www.pureaussiepineapples.com.au/

It's all bsbullie's fault.  ;) Look above. He claimed it was modified. Also second link he gives above certainly also implies it is GMO. Anyway, thanks for the correction. i'm glad it isn't a frankenpineapple. I might even try it now, if i ever run across it.
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
It's all bsbullie's fault.  ;) Look above. He claimed it was modified. Also second link he gives above certainly also implies it is GMO. Anyway, thanks for the correction. i'm glad it isn't a frankenpineapple. I might even try it now, if i ever run across it.

Lol It's all Rob's fault. Many of the articles about it say its GMO. I think that's due to a lot of people writing those articles not understanding how plant breeding works.

Quite a few times while working at Excalibur people used to think that a grafted tree was GMO. They've also thought that the new mango varieties that have citrus or coconut flavors were GMO as well.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »
I had one in Costa Rica that had coconut overtones. But I had it fresh from someone's land, and I don't know what variety it was if it was even a named cultivar. I just remember being very surprised at the flavor, very pina colada-esque. That person had lots of different fruit on the property, so who knows where they got it from, or if they developed it on their own.

The pineapples I had in Costa Rica were by far the best I've ever eaten anywhere. Aside from this coconut-y one, which had a yellow flesh, they were all usually very white flesh with a high acid content that started to erode my mouth because they were so good I had trouble not eating them every day! They were sweet, crisp, and fresh in a way that is hard to describe. I would love to be able to grow one here.

Costa Rica has some of the best soil and growing conditions in the world though, so that might account for the astounding fruit I had every single day for months there... perhaps it is not only due to the specific cultivars they grow. This was back in 1999, and I have not stopped thinking about their fruit since! :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:26:16 PM by LivingParadise »