Author Topic: Staking Trees for Wind?  (Read 5856 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Staking Trees for Wind?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 09:41:39 PM »
Good Luck Marley !
Are you staying in Naples ?

Ed

I got mine staked !

I went ahead and removed most of the stakes throughout the farm in hopes that the trees get pushed over rather than snap at the tie point.  I do however have 200 stakes on hand for the aftermath if there's anything left.  Wife and kids are in GA with inlaws.  I'm going to weather the storm with my dad at the farm.  Hopefully the house will hold up.  It is new block/stemwall/tiebeam, 4/12 hip roof, impact windows and doors, truss straps so we'll see.  We do have a portable generator.  You guys?
Marley, stay safe.  Looks like you guys on the west coast (of FL) are getting the worst of this.
Take care of yourself.

We got slammed.  House ok, farm not good.  Total loss remains to be seen because there is still flooding. vegetation destroyed everywhere.  Crazy last few days a lot of work non stop, very tiring.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
As the storm approached I got some last minute advise from a friend to prune as much as possible.  So I ran outside and began handpruning everything.  The cuts were quick and severe, no time for tipping or thinking. I got through it just as the outer bands arrived.  When I was done they resembled sticks but surely looked more prone to survive. I watched many get blown down one way and then the other way after the eye.  All of the trees took one hell of a beating but somehow managed to remain in the ground and not shear.  Since the storm I have staked ever tree that needed support and have begun spraying copper.  Water is subsiding but still flooded areas.  My collection of jackfruit and annonas will probably succomb to the flooding.  I would bet that some mangoes if not many will hopefully make it (survive 150mph!).  I think the key will be mitigating disease/fungus at this point.  Unfortunately while I was pruning I couldn't help but notice all of the black spot that I was haphazardly spreading from one tree to another.  No time for proper sanitation to disinfect between trees just wipe blade with shirt and move on to next one.

Lesson learned:  prune the heck out of any tree you care about prior to hurricane,

- Marley

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 10:33:51 AM »
Good call Marley!  Bet it saved the grafts too. 

They'll be back.  MagnaBon will control your fungicide issues.  Talk to owner Frank Miele.

Good luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk