Author Topic: Sending seeds to USA?  (Read 1043 times)

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
Sending seeds to USA?
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Hi,
Some time ago i posted a video about a loquat seedling with superiour fruit size and taste which is fruiting every year in Germany:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMsqexWF_U

Now someone from S Carolina wants some seeds. I know the US have very strict quarantine rules. Can i send loquat seeds to the US legally?
Thanks

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Sending seeds to USA?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
It's the buyer, not you, who is responsible for getting the seeds here legally.  If they (or a friend) have a USDA permit, they can email it to you, along with a COLOR copy of the USDA shipping label that they get with their permit.  You enclose a copy of the permit with the seeds, along with a note stating the botanical name, who collected it and from what country, slap the label on, and away it goes.  It is very easy, and depending on which port it goes through, it doesn't slow the process down too much.  I get seeds from Africa all the time that way.  I also mail myself seeds all the time when I travel.  An addicting hobby.

Cheers,
Carolyn

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 01:57:28 PM »
It's the buyer, not you, who is responsible for getting the seeds here legally.  If they (or a friend) have a USDA permit, they can email it to you, along with a COLOR copy of the USDA shipping label that they get with their permit.  You enclose a copy of the permit with the seeds, along with a note stating the botanical name, who collected it and from what country, slap the label on, and away it goes.  It is very easy, and depending on which port it goes through, it doesn't slow the process down too much.  I get seeds from Africa all the time that way.  I also mail myself seeds all the time when I travel.  An addicting hobby.

Cheers,
Carolyn
I agree and takes from a week to 30 days for USDA permit

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
Theres no problem with small quantityes of seeds.
Scions and live plants are harder to send.
Btw,the loquat seeds from you germinated.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
Great, thanks to everybody. This loquat is so good that i see it as my duty to preserve it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk