Author Topic: Salvadora persica, Arak Berry  (Read 1402 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Salvadora persica, Arak Berry
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
I tried Some Salvadora persica berry from my tree and I was amazed how good is this fruit. It tasted like rose syrup and was extremely sweet.

Some people even say that this fruit is better than cherry.

Edit: these pictures are not mine. I got these pictures from the internet. I only had a few berries to try from my trees.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 04:10:51 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Salvadora persica, Arak Berry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
WOW i didn't know it! It's cold hardy? Thank's!   ;D

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
I found this

Salvadora persica is a medicinally important plant mainly used in oral hygiene. However, little attention has been given towards the nutritional prominence of this plant. This study encloses the proximate and mineral nutrient contents, amino acid composition, metabolite profiling and antioxidant potential of S. persica fruit. The ripen fruit contained substantial amount of sugars, mineral nutrients, carotenoids, polyphenols and flavonoids. The metabolic profiling of the fruit extract by GC-MS revealed a total of 22 metabolites comprising of sugars, sugar alcohols, organic acids, organic base, and aromatic silica compound. The identified metabolites have been previously reported to have potential antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-hyperglycemic, and antitumor properties. The GC-MS analysis indicated high glucose and glucopyranose (247.62 and 42.90 mg g-1 FW respectively) contents in fruit of S. persica. The fruit extract demonstrated a significantly higher antioxidant and ROS scavenging properties along with high contents of mineral nutrients and essential amino acids. HPLC analysis revealed presence of essential and non-essential amino acid required for healthy body metabolism. The cysteine was found to be in highest amount (733.69 mg 100 g-1 DW) among all amino acids quantified. Specifically, compared to similar medicinal plants, previously reported as a source of non-conventional food and with some of the commercially important fruits, S. persica fruit appears to be a potential source of essential mineral nutrients, amino acids, vitamins (ascorbic acid and carotenoid) and pharmaceutically important metabolites contributing towards fulfilling the recommended daily requirement of these for a healthy human being. This is the first report establishing importance of S. persica fruit as nutraceuticals. The data presented here proposed that fruit of S. persica may be used as functional food or reinvigorating ingredient for processed food to reduce deficiency of nutrients among the vulnerable population group. The phytochemicals identified from S. persica fruit may be used as natural source for pharmaceutical preparations.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2017.00061/full#T1

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:44:12 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:41:54 PM »
about the fruit

Salvadora persica is a medicinally important halophytic plant of family Salvadoraceae with great ethnobotanical importance. It is widely used for oral hygiene and other medicinal properties. The antioxidant and nutraceutical importance of the leaf extracts of S. persica have been reported in our previous study (Kumari and Parida, 2016). Fruits of S. persica are edible having an aromatic, sweet and peppery taste and are eaten raw, dried or cooked. Fruits are drupes with persistent calyx and corolla. They are fleshy, globose, single seeded, smooth, 5–10 mm in diameter and spherical in shape (Figure 1). The fruits are pink to scarlet in color when mature (Sher et al., 2010). A fermented beverage having stomachic, de-obstruent, lithontriptic, and carminative properties is made from the fruits. The fruits are also used in rheumatism and biliousness and believed to have good effect on snake bite. Besides this they are also considered as diuretic, purgative and liver tonic (Akhtar et al., 2011). Very less research information are available on this highly valuable fruit. It is, therefore, the objective of this study is to determine the nutrient, bioactive compositions and antioxidant properties of this underexploited fruit of S. persica. The present work will provide useful information on the prospective of S. persica fruit as natural source for antioxidants, essential amino acids, mineral nutrients, proteins, and other metabolites. The outcomes emerging from the current study will evaluate the potential use of S. persica fruit in nutraceutical and pharmaceutical formulations as dietary supplements for human. Development of biologically beneficial products from the underutilized S. persica fruit will have dual benefits by way of health products and their commercial cultivation in salt affected coastal lands. Besides this, its farming in coastal habitats will result in carbon-budgeting and carbon sequestration helping to resolve environmental problems like climate change.

The carbohydrate content of the S. persica fruit (73.66 ± 2.17 g 100 g-1 DW) was in comparison to the high carbohydrate containing durian variety Durio zibethinus and was found to higher than that reported for leguminous plants Bracystegia eurycoma and Pipper guineense (Bolanle et al., 2014) and Cola parchycarpa (Ene-Obong et al., 2016). The carbohydrate content was also in comparison with some conventional carbohydrate sources like cereals (72-90 g 100 g-1 DW) (Adewusi et al., 1995), and thus S. persica fruit can serve as a potential source of carbohydrate. The lipid and dietary fiber content of the fruit was also higher than the Durio zibethinus, Bracystegia eurycoma, Pipper guineense, and Cola parchycarpa signifying that the fruit is rich in essential nutrients and can be utilized for supplementing the human diet for better health. The relatively high energy content of the fruit 141.35 kcal 100 g-1 DW could fulfill the daily calorie intake of the people. The results presented here demonstrate that the fruit of S. persica could be an important source of essential nutrients and energy that could be utilized for supplementing and enhancing the diet and health of humans.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:55:03 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:06:36 PM »
WOW i didn't know it! It's cold hardy? Thank's!   ;D

I use Salvadora persica as a live hedge they work great  ;D. I'm not sure about the cold hardiness but i believe it can handle some cold because they are also native to northern part of india .

But you need to keep the plants untrimmed if you are interested in the berries.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
If anyone interested in this plant, you can get them from here.

https://goo.gl/eskAoh
Moh'd

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
If anyone interested in this plant, you can get them from here.

https://goo.gl/eskAoh
Thank's!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk